1987 VW Vanagon ambulance

Keith Snyder

PCS Member
The seller says: "The previous deal fell through, so here it is again.
I am selling my 1987 Vanagon ambulance to fund other projects.
This Vanagon was directly imported from Erlangen Germany by a collector who passed away, and was sitting for years until I was able to resurrect it. I'm pretty sure this is the only one of it's kind in the country.

It is all original, and you can see from the photos that even the stethescope, medical kit and rubber gloves are still inside. All of the sirens, lights, and all of the unique features that make this ambulance what it is are all working.

I have replaced the plugs, wires, filters, fresh oil change, and replaced some rusty exhaust components, including some of the brackets etc... It's powered by the euro spec 2.1l carbureted wasserboxer, and runs great. It's obviously a manual.

The body is very clean with minimal damage. All of the ambulance graphics are present. It's got a set of Fulda all-seasons on it with tons of tread and has the synchro ride height, though it's not a synchro.

I started the paper trail at the California DMV, and it's processing as a Historical vehicle. The previous owner lost the title, and one will be issued in CA after it passes smog. I had the VIN inspection done at the CA DMV. It wont pass smog until a cat is installed, but if you're anywhere else than CA, or NY etc that wont matter much. It will be sold with the documents I have, and a Bill of sale from me."

See it at:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1388553

My son is a VW mechanic working for the largest VW dealership in Northern Cal...
We have talked about this vehicle before,since its only about 25 miles from us and since he is a vintage VW bus collector,this piqued his intrest.......

He says that the problem is two fold.....

#1 the "cat" is not the only problem with this vehicle......IN Calif vehicles after 1973 have to be smogged..AND also pass the VISUAL smog equipment test...being imported from Germany this does NOT meet those specs....and according to my son would probably add another $2500 or so to the price.....

#2 It would NOT be allowed to enter any vintage VW shows or even most "classic" car shows as it is NOT a vintage vehicle according to most show by-laws......

He travels to Germany reguarly for traing at the VW factory and sees quite a few of this era VW's available.... even Polizei (police) and Feuerwher (fire dept) vehicles...that have been retired...most are sent to czechoslovakia for dismantling(Germany is very green) and recycling or are sold to 3rd world countries to be used as intended....

Those are several reasons you dont see many of these vehicles in the US.....

But this one is a intersting vehicle,and good luck to the seller.....he will need it......at least in California.....

Vw

James on the smog in a gas powered vehicle it is 76 and newer that have to have a smog inspection. This is from the Ca DMV Site.

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?
Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

•Hybrid
•Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
•Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
•Electric
•Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
•Motorcycle
•Trailer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My son is a VW mechanic working for the largest VW dealership in Northern Cal...
We have talked about this vehicle before,since its only about 25 miles from us and since he is a vintage VW bus collector,this piqued his intrest.......

He says that the problem is two fold.....

#1 the "cat" is not the only problem with this vehicle......IN Calif vehicles after 1973 have to be smogged..AND also pass the VISUAL smog equipment test...being imported from Germany this does NOT meet those specs....and according to my son would probably add another $2500 or so to the price.....

#2 It would NOT be allowed to enter any vintage VW shows or even most "classic" car shows as it is NOT a vintage vehicle according to most show by-laws......

He travels to Germany reguarly for traing at the VW factory and sees quite a few of this era VW's available.... even Polizei (police) and Feuerwher (fire dept) vehicles...that have been retired...most are sent to czechoslovakia for dismantling(Germany is very green) and recycling or are sold to 3rd world countries to be used as intended....

Those are several reasons you dont see many of these vehicles in the US.....

But this one is a intersting vehicle,and good luck to the seller.....he will need it......at least in California.....

I wish our "classic" car shows would do this. Almost all the ones Ive been to also allow brand new cars right off the showroom floor, and the sad thing is they take the trophys. Thats just not right, a new car better be mint.
Im also glad we do not have to deal with the smog or inspection stuff here, sounds like a pain in the posterior.

James on the smog in a gas powered vehicle it is 76 and newer that have to have a smog inspection. This is from the Ca DMV Site.

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption?
Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is:

•Hybrid
•Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older
•Diesel powered 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs
•Electric
•Natural gas powered with a GVWR rating of more than 14,000 lbs.
•Motorcycle
•Trailer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daniel,
You are correct..I am still in 2010....I forgot each year the exemption changes....

I wish our "classic" car shows would do this. Almost all the ones Ive been to also allow brand new cars right off the showroom floor, and the sad thing is they take the trophys. Thats just not right, a new car better be mint.
Im also glad we do not have to deal with the smog or inspection stuff here, sounds like a pain in the posterior.

John,
There are a few small "local" shows that will atke anything in the show,just so they can take the entry fees.....but almost all of the bigger shows have the cut off.....I agree there is just no place for a NEW car in a vinatge show.
Although the owners of the NEW corvettes,mustangs,prowlers,cudas,camaros etc would disagree...I guess they figure they spent that much money on a NEW vintage car they are entitled.
Also I think that REAL vintage car owners also spend just as much if not more money on their cars then the NEW guys do,and on top of that the labor involved,somethin not required in a NEW car.....
Dont want to offend any NEW car owners...this is just MY 2 cents....:thumbsup:

And the SMOG...well its not as bad as it used to be.....I guess because there is just a lot more FRAUD now....
So if you cant get it done legaly...you can always let your money "talk" at some smog check stations.....and get a certificate for about $200.00+...

think revenue Iowa had the inspection laws when it was mandated just like SD did. I was a stated inspector at one time. it does nothing except bring in revenue. there is still a large number of people out that that would like to see any car for any reason over 10 years old be gone. they have to keep European built cars out of the US they don't want anyone seeing how will the automobile preforms when it doesn't have to be detuned to meet US specs. so cars like this are difficult to do things with. to new for collector status and they always don't meet some safety law so they can't be titled in the states or resold. missing the crash proof bumper in the old days now it's no air bag

Smog Inspections

Daniel,
You are correct..I am still in 2010....I forgot each year the exemption changes....
James lots of misconceptions on the Ca smog program , this being one of them. At one time there was a bill in the state legislature to exempt vehicles once they became 30 years or older, Unfortunately this was never passed so at the moment it is a static date of 76 or newer needs to be have a smog inspection.

I sort of like this Vanagon. In New Jersey, any vehicle registered "Historic" does not require any inspection, but they can only be used for special occassions like shows, parades, cruise nights, club events and limited use. The other requirement is for it to be twenty five years, or older. The title would be a problem in NJ, you can't register anything without a title.

Back