Sad Pro-Cars

I sure am in need of that stainless from the McClain, a previous owner of mine removed it and now I have this hoakey tailgate that weighs a good 70 lbs and some crudely bent sheet metal where most of the stainless went.

This car was sold to a black firm in Tulsa, and was then sold to an employee of another firm in Oklahoma City. This once glorious and pampered ol' gal has been sitting outside there for years now...what a waste.

She's still in the same spot, unattended and (apparently) unloved. What a shame:

(current photos by Jim Jordan)

Attachments

• Ninde 75 SS.jpg
    Ninde 75 SS.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 676
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 669
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 666
Mt. Morris '76 Criterion

According to the Northland PCS board, this Criterion was *the* last Criterion ever built. Here's a link to it on the Northland PCS site:

http://www.northlandpcs.com/criteriongallery.htm

I actually lived in Mt Morris, IL from 1995 - 2000, and in the late 90's I spent many hours in the Mt Morris library basement going through archives of the Mt Morris Times to research a historical project I was working on at the time.

The Mt Morris Fire Department purchased their first ambulance, a 1958 standard headroom Superior Cadillac, in 1958 from Foster Coach sales in Sterling, Illinois. Prior to this first ambulance, ambulance service was provided by Finch Funeral Home.

In the months leading up to the Fire Department taking over ambulance services in the 50's, there were several news stories about the need for a community based ambulance service because the nearest hospital was many miles away, and the community really got involved with letters to the editor, full page editorials, and Foster Coach even got involved and started advertising with full page newspaper display ads of Superior ambulances...in the newspaper!

They used this Superior for about 10 years or so, when the ambulance started aging and breaking down a lot. Once again the community got involved, apparently the ambulance lost its brakes on a run when they were halfway to Rockford Memorial Hospital and it was deemed unsafe. So they did fund raisers, Foster Coach once again started running full page display ads of various ambulances, and in the late 60s Mt Morris once again purchased a brand new ambulance, this time it was a red and white Superior Cadillac high headroom. There are several pictures of it in the newspaper, with the fire department proudly posing in front of it.

I didn't do anymore research after that, but can only assume that about 10 years later, they ordered the Criterion from Foster Coach.

Abe

I stopped in Sandyville, Iowa today while in the area to see if the Mt. Morris '76 Criterion was still at that salvage yard where Mitch had photographed it some years ago. Referring to this place as a salvage yard would be a stretch. It is basically a scrap yard. The Criterion is long gone and, based on my conversation with the owner, I will assume it was crushed. An unfortunate end to the last Criterion built.

She's still in the same spot, unattended and (apparently) unloved. What a shame:

(current photos by Jim Jordan)

Please educate me as I should know this(as I own one). Noticed that this coach has no S&S wheel covers or S&S hood ornamentation. Where all of these features optional on a Victoria?

Please educate me as I should know this(as I own one). Noticed that this coach has no S&S wheel covers or S&S hood ornamentation. Where all of these features optional on a Victoria?

Kurt,

To the best of my knowledge, both the S&S wheel covers and the date marks on the hood were options and did not need to be ordered together. I used to own a 1975 S&S Ambulance that had the S&S emblem in the center of the hubcaps but no date marks on the hood.

7305909594_f12288aec8.jpg

1981 S&S Cadillac Victoria.

Used for extraction training drill by the Watertown Volunteer Fire Dept. July 2012. Watertown Tennessee.

Jeremy D. Ledford photos.

Attachments

• image-2582706722.jpg
    image-2582706722.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 729
  • image-3192084462.jpg
    image-3192084462.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 716
Here is a sad 1970 M&M 42 ambulance. The car was marked up by Rutland American Legion. I was unable to figure out where the car was originally in service. In my opinion it is easier to find high top ambulances than low top straight ambulances. This poor car is in a central IL salvage yard. It is very weathered.

030209014.jpg

030209013.jpg

Bruce Biancalana photos

Here is a sad 1970 M&M 42 ambulance. The car was marked up by Rutland American Legion. I was unable to figure out where the car was originally in service. In my opinion it is easier to find high top ambulances than low top straight ambulances. This poor car is in a central IL salvage yard. It is very weathered.

030209014.jpg

030209013.jpg

Bruce Biancalana photos

Oh, look at that rear bumper and bet the center carrier bearing support is still good. TKS

man might try to have a go at it not a lot of low tops around. but transportation would be more then the car would be worth and the 4 grimes lights also.

Back