Cross Country Transportation

Mike McDonald

PCS Member
This may be more a question more for Danny from GA or Richard Vyse and may not be in the correct website area.... but we are negotiating to Sell Our Restored 1949 X-CDF REO "Speedwagon" Fire Engine to the Oldsmar, FL. Fire Department. As some of you may know, "Oldsmar" was a resort created by Ransom Eli Olds (REO) in the early 1920's on tens of thousands of acres that he reportately lost "millions" on. At any rate, apparently times are much better now and they want a Restored REO to place in their museum to use for parades and other civic events to honor his legacy.

I have seen where PCS Members including Atti, Danny, Richard and many others have had suggestions for private haulers. This is a (Small) Fire Engine mounted on a 1.5 Ton Chassis that Weighs 10,900 lbs, is 8 Feet Tall, 8 Feet Wide and 22 Feet Long. The delivery does not have to be immediate as long as the wait is not too prolonged... and of course the price has to be reasonable on their end to make all this work out.

Pick-Up Location: 28335 South Cole Grade Rd., Valley Center, CA., 92082
Delivery Location: Oldsmar Fire Department, (Civic Center) Oldsmar, Florida

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP 1-800-231-2287 or MBM@McDonaldWestern.com
Mike McDonald

Just spoke with Martin Rousseau. He said James' recent '70 is around the heaviest he wants to trailer, which was about 6500 pounds.

Keith Walker of Chicago based Walker Transport has hooked Nick Yassan up repeatedly. He has about a 40' lowboy but unknown if he goes that far west. Doesn't hurt to ask - 630.768.7056

Put a call into a CO commercial pilot/Cadillac collector friend and am waiting to hear back on the locally based small transport company he uses. He's mentioned numerous runs back and forth between CO and CA before. Will forward.

Mike, I have used 4 Corners Auto Transport out of Washington State. They broker out these jobs, but they usually have the best quotes and I have had wonderful success with them. I don't have their phone number here at the house, but you can google it. They have open and enclosed rates and they have given me the best rates that I can find. I have probably had them move at least a dozen antique cars and trucks over the past two years and every single one arrived safely. They even moved an old Ford Rack Body to Texas! If you call, you will speak with Ellen, or Jeff and don't hesitate to mention my name if you want. They are great people!

From southern Ca. we average paying $750 to Atlanta area open truck. For bigger cars or stuff like F250 trucks $1000. From northern Ca. cars about $850 and trucks $1250. Just shipped this week a 66 mustang enclosed from La California area to us for $1000 and we will be shipping next week a 41 buick limousine back to there enclosed for $1500. Wild guess without checking I would say $2500 range.

Try 2 Brothers Transport. I think they are based out of California and they do run coast-to-coast. They can/will haul anything and have a 40' tri-axle trailer. You can reach them at 2brotherstransport@gmail.com, Mike @ 310.925.7815, or Sean @ 310.654.8590.

:applause:MANY THANKS to ALL of you that replied so quickly! Those leads are exactly what I as hoping for. The people we know haul large pieces of heavy equipment and are "not in step" with hauling small trucks like this one is that an open trailer will work just fine. THX AGAIN! MM

I echo Atti's comment about Keith. I've used him a couple times already for transport and have never dealt with a hauler that's more professional or has the right equipment for the job. He has commented he stays in the eastern & central US only for hauls... but it never hurts to ask!
Here's a pic of his setup. Awesome :thumbsup:

IMG_1333.jpg

THANKS DWAYNE! I left him a voice mail message earlier this morning with all the details. The pictured rig looks very adequate to haul the REO "Speedwagon" to her future "pampered" retirement home in Oldsmar. MM

No go on CO lead.

Shouldn't be hard to find a smaller transport company with a one ton pull truck and a gooseneck equipment trailer that can easily handle job. Long routing is key and you may be best served putting a free ad up on Uship if none of those others pan out. ;)

Mike ,
I agree with Attila,

If nothing pans out,put up an ad on USHIP...

You will get quite a few BROKERS,however there are also a lot of smaller haulers ,"mom and pop" if you will,looking to fill in a haul...most dont want to dead head...(in your case heading east)....that is the way I was able to hook up with Martin.

Good luck !!:)

Jim

Mike, I have used 4 Corners Auto Transport out of Washington State. They broker out these jobs, but they usually have the best quotes and I have had wonderful success with them. I don't have their phone number here at the house, but you can google it. They have open and enclosed rates and they have given me the best rates that I can find. I have probably had them move at least a dozen antique cars and trucks over the past two years and every single one arrived safely. They even moved an old Ford Rack Body to Texas! If you call, you will speak with Ellen, or Jeff and don't hesitate to mention my name if you want. They are great people!

Bill: 4 Corners already sent their (very professional) bid back at $2,374.00 that sounds very reasonable to me and was almost spot on with what Danny thought it would be.... all you guys are awesome! I have forwarded it on to the Oldsmar Fire Dept. Chief for his decision. We will also of course see what the others I have sent e-mails too and left messages with today come back at a well. THX AGAIN! MM

Mike ,
I agree with Attila,

If nothing pans out,put up an ad on USHIP...

You will get quite a few BROKERS,however there are also a lot of smaller haulers ,"mom and pop" if you will,looking to fill in a haul...most dont want to dead head...(in your case heading east)....that is the way I was able to hook up with Martin.

Good luck !!:)

Jim

From what I have seen there are alot less desirable shippers on USHIP. We use central dispatch which we have to pay to search on and truckers have to pay to use. You list your trip and you get a list of what similiar loads have been going for and you post a price and if any truckers may want it they will call you and then you pull up there info to see their rating from other trips and make sure they are properly insured. Works very well for us.

Back