WW2 Ambulances

Very cool! I see those kind of Dodge field ambulances for sale all the time on Craigslist.

And can someone smarter than me tell me if they have their facts wrong? I could have sworn the WWII era Packards were still coachbuilt. :confused2:

They were. The website doesn't say they aren't coachbuilt. But it's unlikely the Henney name appears anywhere on the car, as the military wouldn't have cared for such things - from the military's point of view, it's a Packard.

Remember, that sort of thing really matters only to us. To the "public", it's a "Packard ambulance" or a "Cadillac hearse".

notice it's a metropolitan to. all military car based ambulances were metropolitans. my 72 olds is labeled the same. as was the label on the the 51 superior that was up for sale in calf. I found one more I had off a Dodge to.

Attachments

• 1959 cornet military tag.jpg
    1959 cornet military tag.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 438
  • 1951 dod tag on a superior.jpg
    1951 dod tag on a superior.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 437
  • 1972 CB glove box tag 1.JPG
    1972 CB glove box tag 1.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 429
Dodge Brothers

I found it interesting that one of the pictures identified an army field ambulance as a Dodge Brothers. Walter P Chrysler bought Dodge in the mid 1920s. It then became the Dodge Division of Chrysler Corp. Maybe someone knows more than what I have been reading and being told all these years.
Great pictures. Thanks for this posting.
Mike
M-M:thankyou2:

ww2 photos

Sarah, Thanks for the post very interesting a have to share it with my family, they will get a kick to see the optical trucks, my grandfather ran a optical lab in Japan for the US gov. during the war.:thankyou2:

Imagine having to be transported in the back of one of those with a gun shot wound, the suspension in those would probably make you feel like you'd pass out each time you hit a bump! I found the Medical Kits interesting as the website was so detailed on the items that were within them.

Imagine having to be transported in the back of one of those with a gun shot wound, the suspension in those would probably make you feel like you'd pass out each time you hit a bump! I found the Medical Kits interesting as the website was so detailed on the items that were within them.

the thing about the gunshot wound is getting the he!! out of there is all one would think of.(so I have been told) 6 people in the back and no road. I was glad I never had to be in either place. the drivers seat or the back end. but then there are some here that had the opportunity to do both. here is one more piece of militay ambulance I glad I never had to use. topical island and chaines on all 4 wheels. one muddy place.

Attachments

• 1943 07 21  station on Rendova Island.jpg
    1943 07 21 station on Rendova Island.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 402
WWII Packard ambulances

A recently published book by Thomas A. McPherson titled "The Henney Motor Company, a complete history" has a lot of info on Henney & Packard. Beginning in 1935, Henney became Packard's exclusive coach builder beginning with the 120 chassis and the 120A chassis. The 3-way with hydraulic levelers was a top of the line vehicle. They also made more economoically priced end only loaders.
The book is loaded with excellent pictures, production statistics & pricing as well as excellent background info.

Jeff Heilman

Back