Wanted Miller-Meteor switch box

Bruce Biancalana

PCS Life Member
I am search of this Miller-Meteor style switch box. Let me know if you have one available. The one pictured is in a 1971 Volunteer.

qq74.jpg

These switch boxes always seem to be an odd assortment of switches with centered lights, offset lights, and no lights at all, with no rhyme or reason to them. Wonder how they get that way? Is it a matter of just replacing a bad switch with the first one they could find in a drawer? What is the purpose of the offset light to begin with?

Those switches with centered lights were three position switches while those with offset lights were usually just on/off (one position) switches with indicators. I'm sure there are exceptions, but in my experience this is what I encountered.

I wish my switch box was like that. Here's a photo of the one in my 1971 MM Volunteer.

Wow! that another way I havent seen. The problem is that the switch box in my 71 Volunteer is MIA. It never had switches up in the headliner, there is an after market radio in the radio area. The only place I see wires is under the dash by the trans hump. There are also holes drilled in the trans hump that look like a similar switch box may have been fastened there. The guy I got this car from told me that the guy he bought the car from the guy that had bought it new on December 23, 1970 for Harrisonburg Virginia rescue sqaud. When Harisonburg was done with the car in I believe the late 80s it was given back to the guy who originaly bought the car but, Harrisonburg would not let him keep the color combos or any of the the emergency lights. I wonder if the switch box was removed by the rescue squad.

Those mountings look like the original jatto-desk, sold through AutoSafetyHouse, and Galls. Is the box all steel or galvanized steel with the crinkle paint?

Bruce,

If you haven't already, I strongly urge you to contact the squad in Virginia directly. They just might have (a) the switch box, (b) photos of the car when it was in service, and (c) other misc. goodies that came out of (or off of) the car.

My 1975 Lifeliner was removed from service in Mendham Twp. (NJ) in 1985 and left the area almost immediately. Over 20 years later, when I contacted Mendham Twp. after purchasing the car, I was put in touch with the gentleman who not only founded the squad, but who custom-spec'd and ordered my car brand new! We had several lengthy discussions by phone and mail; he was just as excited that I was preserving their old rig as I was to actually be talking to him about it. He sent me all kinds of things that he still had for my car, including the original interior cabinet designs that he drafted and sent to Miller-Meteor, as well as Miller-Meteor's drafts sent back to him for approval. Among the three large boxes of equipment they still had from this car were two embroidered wool cot blankets (photo of one is attached.) I was like a little kid on Christmas morning when those packages arrived!

The moral to this long ramble is that you never know what the squads might still have, even after all these years. This is why I spend a lot of time doing thorough history searches on all of my cars.

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 129
Bruce, if you contact them and they do have the switchbox, let me know ASAP, and I can get it and bring to Hudson. Time is tight, but I'm not too far from there if you need.

Back