Sireno lights

Abe Bush

PCS Member
I've noticed that a lot of you have made negative comments regarding sireno lights. Why is that? I don't know anything about them other than how they look in photos, but I'm wondering why you guys don't seem to like them.

Personally I'm partial to clear lensed flat domed beacon rays with alternating red and clear lenses (not hill lights), and the sirenos seem smaller than beacon rays even though they have a similar appearance.

Abe

I have a Sireno beacon on my Pontiac. I have nothing against it. It's just different from a Federal, which was more popular then (and now).

sireno lights

well abe id say 90% of lites on ambulances were not sireno. most of us had beacon rays of one type or another and personnaly its a prefferance when you have a choice, i might be wrong but i dont think so. like sirens, the almighty q2b is the king. even though a lot of ambulances back in the day had them some didnt, but when its yours and you have a choice go with the king. still being used to this day. cant go wrong with a winner. also parts could be a problem when you dont have as many out there.[sireno]

it's mosley a flood the market with federal kind of thing. the other players like Dietz and Yankee or serino were more of a regional then. Q just because the me is bigger then yours mentality. I had a nice dietz #7-11 that I sold off as extra. nice solid light but it did not mount flush and you had to pick the spot that was level on the car to mount it. federal had the corner on mounting. there design with the three pegs and a skirt you could trim let them fit anywhere. they were a more user friendly light not necessarily a better light.

Attachments

• Dietz #7-11 off.jpg
    Dietz #7-11 off.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,734
The Dietz 211 (later 711) series beacons had "domed" lenses:

(JD photo)

Attachments

• Dietz 211.jpg
    Dietz 211.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,320
I've noticed that a lot of you have made negative comments regarding sireno lights. Why is that? I don't know anything about them other than how they look in photos, but I'm wondering why you guys don't seem to like them.

I don't remember anyone here poking at Sireno products, but I don't claim to have read every post!

Sireno was around for a long time and made a good product, generally mirroring that of Federal, Dietz, and Whelen. All four companies advertised nationally and offered similar products such as rotating, oscillating (except Dietz), and "hill" style (except Whelen) beacons as well as speaker/lights.

Federal dominated the US warning device market after WWII and through the 1970s. Federal's purchase of Emergency One (now E-One) in 1979 caused many apparatus manufacturers to start using other brands in order to keep from "feeding" a competitor. That one event allowed Whelen, Code 3, and Southern Vehicle Products to significantly expand their business, especially in the electronic siren market. Although still healthy, Federal never recovered their position of dominance (now held by Whelen, both lights and electronic sirens).

The popularity of warning devices was largely based on three factors:

Geographic: They were usually popular in the regions in which they were manufactured such as Whelen in New England, Dietz in NY, Mars in the Chicago area, and so forth. While CAM and B&M were basically west coast sirens, B&M Siro-Drifts were seen nationwide from the '30s through the '60s. The Tulsa F.D., for instance, had them installed on at least 30 new vehicles between 1948 and 1959. Some were moved from rig to rig as they were replaced and served well into the '90s.

Manufacturer's standard: As an example, the standard warning device on an American LaFrance from 1938-58 (500 through 800 Series products) was a Sterling #20 Sirenlight, which amounted to thousands of these sirens being sold. ALF went to Sireno as the standard siren on the 900 and 1000 Series, and to Whelen for the Century products. The standard beacon on a Mack fire truck and Holmes wrecker in the '60s and '70s was a Dietz 211. Look back through your S&S photos and literature from the '60s; almost every hightop had a 211 on it.

Local or regional dealer: Sometimes emergency vehicle dealers sell a certain brand of warning devices and consequently specify as many customer vehicles as possible with that product. For instance, Sireno's popularity in NJ can be attributed to Ernie Day, whose New Jersey Fire Equipment (Pirsch and Oren dealer) started using them in the early 1950s. Many auto and truck supply houses sold Dietz and K-D beacons because they also carried their lines of signal, marker, DOT, and safety lighting. Emergency vehicle operators would often buy locally (or specify a product sold locally) to get good parts and service access.

Federal products continue to be popular with emergency vehicle collectors because (a) their toy likely originally had Federal products, and (b) Federal parts are generally available; some new, mostly used. Parts for Sireno products - especially domes and Gyro-Ray components - are hard to come by.

While there is much more to tell about warning device history, I hope this helps with your Sireno query. Sireno was later purchased by ITT and then Jabsco before disappearing in the 1980s.

Last edited:
Here are a few Sireno ads, pirated from various online sources (although I have each of these ads packed away in my collection):

Attachments

• Sireno 1.jpg
    Sireno 1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Sireno 2.jpg
    Sireno 2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,122
  • Sireno 3.jpg
    Sireno 3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Sireno 4.jpg
    Sireno 4.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,014
  • Sireno 5.jpg
    Sireno 5.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 966
Last edited:
Some additional Sireno info: Sireno was purchased by ITT Jabsco in 1971 which moved the operation from the former Marshall Mill property at 66 Passaic Ave. in Kearny, NJ to Costa Mesa, CA. Manufacturing ceased in 1984 and the Sireno product line was purchased by Sirchie Fingerprint Laboratories in 1985. In 1986 I spoke to a person named Aubrey Hall at Sirchie who curtly told me that they had "big plans" for Sireno with production slated to resume shortly. It's a good thing no one held their breath. Pity- Sireno had some great products.

When I was 18 and joined the ambulance service in PA, I bought a Sireno terdrop for my Studebaker. It was identical to a Federal Fireball but had gears to turn the light. Federal lenses are interchangible with the Sireno lens. I still have my Sireno teardrop, still works.

They had them back then!!I thought they used the spotlight plugged into the cigarette lighter,with the red lens on springs, hanging from the rear view mirror.kinda like Harry Morgan in dragnet.:071::yankchain:

Memories!

When I was 18 and joined the ambulance service in PA, I bought a Sireno terdrop for my Studebaker. It was identical to a Federal Fireball but had gears to turn the light. Federal lenses are interchangible with the Sireno lens. I still have my Sireno teardrop, still works.

I wonder if Fed Sig had a deal w/ Sireno?

Original Fireball FB-1 had brass gears too!

I still have my original Fireball and it still works too!

What a great light, back in the day...:thumb:

I've got a little Federal Fireball light with a amber Sireno lens in it.

Sterling3.jpg

Back