Ball joints needed

Well as you know if you try to repair one thing something else needs attention too. While having the new A/C installed I decided to replace the upper "A" arm bushings. In doing so turns out my upper ball joints need replacing and the center drag link too.
I'm looking for the least expensive place to buy these items. I've searched eBay, Rock Auto, NAPA and prices range from $89 to over $200.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the contact and have ordered new upper ball joints and center draglink for the Lifeliner.

Attachments

• ball jpint 1.jpg
    ball jpint 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 657
  • ball jpint 2.jpg
    ball jpint 2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 642
Peter, you information saved me a ton. NAPA wanted over $200 per ball joint plus huge amount for center drag link. PCS folks continue to assist, thanks!

You can take some of that money any go to rubber the right way and replace those torn up missing splash aprons.

Might as well do the upper control arm bushings. They are another weak link in the front end. I know this because Paul told me so. Just passing the information on, since he is away on vacation.

Might as well do the upper control arm bushings. They are another weak link in the front end. I know this because Paul told me so. Just passing the information on, since he is away on vacation.

Now that sounds like a Paul consideration... thank you Sandy for the information and believe doing those as well. :thumbsup:

Oh forgot, replacing front brake pads too. Geez what else can there be. And to top that off Terri and I took the motorhome to Georgia for a few days over the holiday and feels like the rear shocks are weak. Back end hangs out there a bit and it sort of wobbles down the road. I plan on putting heavy duty shocks on that baby.

Attachments

• IMG_1560.jpg
    IMG_1560.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
cheap handling fix

Nice looking RV, Richard. If you have A LOT of spare time on your hands, which I know you don't, check out the "cheap handling fix" thread on IRV2.com. I think it is up to 297 pages by now, and has been going on for years. Depending on your RV's symptoms, there is probably a solution to your problem in there. I would hate to see you waste your money on a new set of shocks if the old ones were not the cause of whatever you are experiencing in the first place.

I also have a copy of a 6 page document titled "Motorhome Handling Problems & Solutions, a primer by Gary Brinck." It sums up a lot of the stuff found in the 297 pages. Let me know if you want me to e-mail it to you.

Upper Control arm inner bushings for sure a good idea they were bad when the cars were a couple of years old. One thing DO NOT tighten the small bolts in the ends of the arm that butt against the bushings. Install the arm get the car down off the jacks sitting level then reach inside the fender well and tighten the bolts. Not doing the above stresses the rubber bushings and they tear and fail.

Nice looking RV, Richard. If you have A LOT of spare time on your hands, which I know you don't, check out the "cheap handling fix" thread on IRV2.com. I think it is up to 297 pages by now, and has been going on for years. Depending on your RV's symptoms, there is probably a solution to your problem in there. I would hate to see you waste your money on a new set of shocks if the old ones were not the cause of whatever you are experiencing in the first place.

I also have a copy of a 6 page document titled "Motorhome Handling Problems & Solutions, a primer by Gary Brinck." It sums up a lot of the stuff found in the 297 pages. Let me know if you want me to e-mail it to you.

I would love to see that and appreciate it Terry. As you say hate to replace something if not the issue. I noticed while driving this beast it tends to wobble right and left down the road not bad but certainly requires your complete attention while driving. Had a ball driving this through the old streets of St. Augustine during peak season with cars parked along side the road. These were two lane roads too!

I know this is not an RV forum but Terry's information has been very helpful. Turns out I may be able to change the mounting holes on the front and rear sway bar or get a more heavy duty one. People that have done this eliminated about 95% of the sway. I will check in to it.

Thanks Terry....

Hey guys, no luck on the Kanter ball joints, or Rock Auto, or even NAPA. There has to be someone who's purchased these for our old cars somewhere. I got two from Kanter but not even close and their rep seems confused as to why they don't work.

Ideas? So far everyone I talked with is stumped.

Ball Jpints

Hey guys, no luck on the Kanter ball joints, or Rock Auto, or even NAPA. There has to be someone who's purchased these for our old cars somewhere. I got two from Kanter but not even close and their rep seems confused as to why they don't work.

Ideas? So far everyone I talked with is stumped.

What is wrong with them?

Here is a picture of my bj on the car and notice the top thick ring with the lube joint. Now here is a picture of the new one which has some sort of a plate which will not work.

Attachments

• ball jpint 1.jpg
    ball jpint 1.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 215
  • bj1.jpg
    bj1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 204
  • BJ2.jpg
    BJ2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 212
The ball joint that you received is for the older commercial cars, like in the mid 1960's. Having said that, I checked and it is supposed to fit from 1961 through 1976. It is what I used on my 1969, and it worked fine. I suggest that you have the upper control arm cleaned of all the crud, and take some measurements. You might find that when you get all the crud off the upper control arm, and can clearly see how the old one is attached, that the one you have is correct for your car. The other choice if you don't want to clean the upper control arm is to order one from NAPA for the outrageous amount of money that you said they want, and see if what they supply is different.

Attachments

• AMG_K5202_P04_ANG.jpg
    AMG_K5202_P04_ANG.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 235
Just talked with Kanter and they searched 10 years up and 10 years down and cannot locate ball joints that come close to looking as to what is on my car. So freaking typical. My guy suspects these are some sort of welded mess done up by some idiot prior. Well were working on it.... More to come!

Any chance someone would be willing to snap a picture of the top of your Pro-Car ball joint from the same year or so....

Coming from the rust belt you can find all kinds of ways that repairs were made to keep one on the road. A picture of a ton of grease is not a lot of help. But as the jount you have in hand is to fit for the number of cars it listed. if you don't have that style of joint on your car someone has swaped a standard a arm . You only have two choices CC or standard. There might be a home made method of installation but they would have used the joint that fit your spindle.

Ball Joints

Just talked with Kanter and they searched 10 years up and 10 years down and cannot locate ball joints that come close to looking as to what is on my car. So freaking typical. My guy suspects these are some sort of welded mess done up by some idiot prior. Well were working on it.... More to come!

Any chance someone would be willing to snap a picture of the top of your Pro-Car ball joint from the same year or so....

The ball joints are welded from the factory to the a arm. The replacement ball joint with the plate keeps the ball joint from turning when the retaining ring is installed and tightened. Cut the weld from the ball and press it out. You have the correct parts . My understanding is Cadillac never supplied a arm parts just a complete assembly with ball joins and busing installed. .

Attachments

• 20170110_083431.jpg
    20170110_083431.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 20170110_083436.jpg
    20170110_083436.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 214
Back