1942 packard 200I-A 2724 hearse??

here is what i got,, the packardinfo guys sent me over here

PACKARDS026.jpg

i collect wwii trucks, halftrack LVT's scot cars dodges,, ans say the glove box,, and thought it must be WWII item,, but no normenclature plate from the gov.

PACKARDS020.jpg

PACKARDS045.jpg

PACKARDS055.jpg

PACKARDS034.jpg

PACKARDS036.jpg

PACKARDS037.jpg

PACKARDS040.jpg

PACKARDS050.jpg

PACKARDS058.jpg

the packard guys said it was a late 42,, how many of these produced??

thanks

Not likely a straight hearse, given the attendant's fan, warning device roof holes, and spotlight. More likely a combination hearse/ambulance coach. And I don't know the breakdown by body type, but 861 Henney Packards were built in 1942 (804 on the 2001-A chassis).

Your car is a 1942 Packard based professional car built by Henney. Henney-Packard stopped producing professional cars sometime during the summer of 1942 and they converted the plant to war production. The Henney metal department made parts for the Rolls Royce Merlin engines Packard was building and the wood department at Henny built military boats, armry trailers and other military items. Henny did not produce a new hearse until mid 1947. Your car has a divider wall with glass panels and the lack of rollers in the back, this makes me think that it was a combination car. The roof mounted lights over the rear door do not seem to be a factory. It does not have tunnel lights on the roof like Henney used on their ambulances of this vintage, so I doubt it was a regular ambulance. Also, the numbers stamped into the firewall don't mean anything you can decipher. Packard used a numbering system that wasn't exactly clear and the numbers stamped do not an engine number.

it has to be a late 42,, as production stopped after dec 7 1941,, and these models came out in August??? someone said that the 2724,, means late?? anyinfo i appreciate,, i have a 41 amry cadillac ambulance built for the US gov,, i'll post pictures tomorrow,, its "tucked away for now... see other post tomorrow(wed) thanks for any and ALL help!!

"Junior dash plastic, senior steering wheel - from packard site"

and

"2001A would be a 1942 commercial chassis. Numbering started at 2001 so it would appear to be the 724th commercial chassis in 1942

The engine number is going to be an starting point to tell if it's a 356 or a 282"

more info as it trickles in

Back