VIN impossible to locate without acid and Brillo pads?

Location, 1964- Stamped into the top left frame support next to
the radiator support and enclosed in asterisks. Also stamped
on the engine block left side between the welch plugs above the
oil pan.

Is this the only IMPOSSIBLE place to find VIN on pro-car? I just about lost it at DMV today with 2 women workers and their Brillo pads. They aren't even scrubbing in the right spot. Ugh. They told me they may have to issue a "state" ID number instead of using factory number. I now have to make appointment with highway patrol so they can use "acid" to find it on the frame somewhere (their words). They sprayed brake fluid all over front end and got it everywhere. I told one gal her nail polish would dissolve... Ahhhhhhhh.

Have the portion of the frame w/ VIN scrubbed clean before you go anywhere near inspection. Temporarily remove whatever you have to facilitate cleaning and visibility. Assuming a state employee would be proficient w/ vintage cars is, well.....fruitless.

dsc01950qo.jpg

Driver side frame rail. Radiator is on right of VIN stamping off crop, wheel above. Numbers face inward toward engine. Location did not change in this era, so yours is also there. ;)

so left wheel is to the left of the VIN...I get it now. Thanks and I'll get my sandpaper and start scrubbing before I take it back to the Brillo girls.

Back