What model S&S?

I saw this S&S the other day at a hotel and snapped a pic. I'd never seen this model before and the owner had no clue...so I'm curious, what is it?

photo%20%283%29.JPG

I doubt this is a real S&S because the silver trim on the bottom of the vinyl top does not turn up before it turns around the rear corner to the back door like a typical S&S. This appears to be a superior crown from the late 80's or early 90's that someone put the S&S coach lamps on.

Unless a previous owner decided to put S&S logos on all the door panels, then I guess you're right. But what's throwing me off is the "crown" on the B-pillar.

While it is true that S&S typically incorporated a "rise" in the beltline molding at the "D" pillar, as Bill mentioned, there are exceptions and this is one of them.

This coach is a 1990 or 1991 S&S Cadillac commercial glass Victoria on the rear-wheel-drive chassis. S&S did not incorporate the D pillar "rise" in the RWD Cadillac hearses from 1985 through 1990. The first '91's also did not have this, but during the 1991 model year, S&S brought back this noted styling feature, so some '91s and all '92s had it.

Here are two examples to illustrate this point...

Attachments

• zzzss1.jpg
    zzzss1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 233
  • zzzss2.jpg
    zzzss2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 238
B Pillar Chrome

The chrome band over the B pillar was actually an option on these cars, though very few were seen with it. The effect was greatest when the front 1/4 of the roof was painted the body color, not covered in vinyl. The option was there for those who wanted to make their Victoria a bit more unique.

While I trust Tony's answer, and I remember when the S&S tops were the same without the raise near the rear end, another thing that points to a superior is the Landau bar. Although it is hard to see, the landau bar appears to be all chrome. S&S landau bars are usually painted body color. The center of the landau bar also does not appear to be an S&S, but again, it is hard to see. I would be interested to know where the S&S lables were on each door..I have never seen that on the exterior of any S&S hearses.

Here is the 92 S&S posted by Loren and a photo 92 Superior both right rear quarter shots for comparison.

Remember also that Superior/S&S of Ohio were already starting to squirt both S&S and Superior bodies out of the same fiberglass molds. Both had that "dove tail" on the rear roof at that time as well. The only mold difference I note is the C panel where the S&S lamp and Superior stainless panel is. This could be a panel that could have been changed out in the mold it's self depending on what bodies were being molded. The rest of the lines are the same it appears. The side doors are even the same.

Attachments

• 92 S&S.JPG
    92 S&S.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 92 sup.jpg
    92 sup.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 157
At first from a distance I thought it was a Eureka Town Car, but I'm still learning so I had to get closer look to be sure my eyes were deceiving me. That trim over the b-pillar is a curious option...I wonder who thought of that?

Back