58 MM Bumper Ends... Were rechromed, now f'd up

So I had my 58 at my garage, which I usually trust, to get the bumper put back on. The ends had been re-chromed ages ago by someone Art had to it and they left the bolts in, I assume to keep chrome out of the threads.

My garage decided they were unable to remove the bolts any other way and heated them, which made the chrome job bubble and chip.

What went wrong here? Should the place that chromed them not have left the bolts in or should the garage have drilled them out instead.

I am tempted to just take the bumper away from them and have them concentrate more on the mechanical work, and leave the fancy stuff to someone who might work on these a little more often like Jeff Hammers/Penn-Dutch Restorations.

I've pretty much already made up my mind, as the bumper needs to have holes drilled in it for the step, since it was from a Eureka, which didn't have the step. I had that re-chromed last year at the cost of about $500 or so, and really don't want them butchering that while trying to get the step on too. Also, who knows who they have to re-chrome the ends, I could see them getting lost somewhere, where as someone like Jeff that does this all the time might have more control over the re-chroming situation.

that was only a 4 or 5 hundred dollar mistake times two if they did both, plus the center section. you may get away with cutting out the new chromed center, but I have learned the hard way to cut then re plate.

the end were cast by Alcoma the steel bolts get seized in there with electrolysis. they are rather difficult to remove. a lot of vice grip wiggling liquidate wrench and just a little heat along with big hammer and punch. drill if necessary but be careful to use a smaller bit. the aluminum is way weaker then the steel bolt.

which set of bolts are we talking about they one that hold it together to the center ,the ones that hold the plate for the tailpipe to go threw. been a while since I did this set here.

that was only a 4 or 5 hundred dollar mistake times two if they did both, plus the center section. you may get away with cutting out the new chromed center, but I have learned the hard way to cut then re plate.

the end were cast by Alcoma the steel bolts get seized in there with electrolysis. they are rather difficult to remove. a lot of vice grip wiggling liquidate wrench and just a little heat along with big hammer and punch. drill if necessary but be careful to use a smaller bit. the aluminum is way weaker then the steel bolt.

which set of bolts are we talking about they one that hold it together to the center ,the ones that hold the plate for the tailpipe to go threw. been a while since I did this set here.

Yes, they did both ends. They haven't touched the center piece yet, and I already went and removed the rest of the bumper from the car. I think it was the ones that hold it together, to the center. Basically there is now an inch or 2 width area that follows the edge of the holes where it attaches to the center that is bubbled and cracked to varying degrees. They removed them all so nothing to remove now... I'm going to pick the ends up today on my lunch break.

Yes, they did both ends. They haven't touched the center piece yet, and I already went and removed the rest of the bumper from the car. I think it was the ones that hold it together, to the center. Basically there is now an inch or 2 width area that follows the edge of the holes where it attaches to the center that is bubbled and cracked to varying degrees. They removed them all so nothing to remove now... I'm going to pick the ends up today on my lunch break.
Sorry, just re-read this, by removed the rest of the bumper from the car, I mean, I had it all sitting in the rear of the car in planning for them to attach it to the car... I removed it all from there so they aren't dealing with the bumper anymore.

This is what I have now... the areas that aren't pictured in the pictures is still in perfect shape.

picture.php

picture.php

Back