Early 70's Pontiac High top Utah

Jeff Beyer

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
Now that the weather is improving I can indulge my hobby of bicycling around whatever town I happen to be trucking through. In this case it was Green River Utah. Always looking to interesting vehicles in the back yards etc. And this one was right out front of what appeared to be an auxiliary building for the Green River fire Dept. Saw it on March 30 20151-Green river Pont Ambulance 2.jpg

1-Green River Pontiac Ambulance 1.jpg
Know nothing about the car or the circumstances, perhaps someone here does. It was all there and seemingly a western car so very little rust.

Now that the weather is improving I can indulge my hobby of bicycling around whatever town I happen to be trucking through. In this case it was Green River Utah. Always looking to interesting vehicles in the back yards etc. And this one was right out front of what appeared to be an auxiliary building for the Green River fire Dept. Saw it on March 30 2015View attachment 27658

View attachment 27659
Know nothing about the car or the circumstances, perhaps someone here does. It was all there and seemingly a western car so very little rust.

Jeff: Many people (including me) have been after this Pontiac for years... maybe decades. I doubt you will be able to get any response from them, but good luck if you can! MM

Spectacular Potential

Man, somebody needs to rescue that beauty before the environment takes its toll on it.

Pontiac Hightop

I contacted the town of Green River just before Christmas right after I saw it,I recieved a message on my recorder that I should call the Mayors office after the New Year.
I called the mayors office on Jan 5th and was told that I would have to contact the Fire dept chief....of which I tried to do...but he was always not available or "out"....about the 4th time I was told that "If I am calling about the ambulance in front of the old fire house building,that it is absolutely not for sale and WOULD NOT BE IN THE FUTURE !!"....(I wonder how far into the future?)....so,I guess they told me.......:eek:

Maybe we should start a mass phone in,until they get sick of the calls and either sell it or hide it inside then at least it's out of the elements.

I contacted the town of Green River just before Christmas right after I saw it,I recieved a message on my recorder that I should call the Mayors office after the New Year.
I called the mayors office on Jan 5th and was told that I would have to contact the Fire dept chief....of which I tried to do...but he was always not available or "out"....about the 4th time I was told that "If I am calling about the ambulance in front of the old fire house building,that it is absolutely not for sale and WOULD NOT BE IN THE FUTURE !!"....(I wonder how far into the future?)....so,I guess they told me.......:eek:
Jim: I pretty much got the same response. In my case I actually had a person there and got as far as getting a business card for the Chief from a firefighter at the station. On the card Chief was mis-spelled "CHEIF" ..so probably nothing will happen until he is no longer there. MM

Maybe we should start a mass phone in,until they get sick of the calls and either sell it or hide it inside then at least it's out of the elements.

That's a good idea, but if I was one that was interested in it (Im not), that plan would back fire. With my luck they would think so many people are interested in it they would put an insane price tag on it, or get sick of the calls and send it to the crusher. The latter of which has happened, but at least it was a normal car and not a pro car.

I knew you guys would have "the story behind the story". How many times have we collectively seen something like this happen? Thanks for the backround...

Old pro cars are a lot like some people's pets and kids... Unfortunately we can't just take them away from their owners because we feel that they are un-fit to own them!

Does it run?

I feel your pain. I used to run with a VFD that had a mint condition 40's pumper, it was completely restored - except the mechanical part. It was taken from a field, and put in the station. I kept it immaculately clean, we ran it occasionally. Then, it quit running. So, they towed it to the ice house in town. It's sat in there for fifteen years now, locked up, with my damn resuscitator in the back. Someone offered then $25,000.00 for it, which is $20K more than restoration, and $22,000 more than it cost new. It was win win. Oh no, we'll never sell that, but you'll let it rot away inside a barn that was intended to retain moisture. It's a damn shame when you have minds like that in charge. Where's the pride?

Back