Check out this copper siren !

Darren Bedford

PCS Member
I saw this siren and light combination at a show I was at on the week-end.

He said it was copper and 6 volts.

SIRENO

Has anyone seen one like it before ?
Is it a rare one ?

He wanted 650.00 for it. I wasn't sure if that was good or not as I do not know anything about sirens & lights for ambulances, fire trucks or police cars. I have never owned one either so that is likely why.
Is 650.00 a good price for it ?

It had a red light out front and a red light or reflector on the back end.

Any help with original use of it or any other info on this siren would be appreciated.

Thanks !
Darren

Attachments

• DSCI4229 (640x480).jpg
    DSCI4229 (640x480).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCI4230 (640x480).jpg
    DSCI4230 (640x480).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCI4232 (640x480).jpg
    DSCI4232 (640x480).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 269
they just pulled it out of the copper tank. the fist step in chrome plating is copper. then it's nickle then chrome. you want a different looking one for your custom ride you do things different. but it's not all that special. a little different shaped sterno
not sre I have seen one with that shaped bell.

And there's a very good reason why automobile manufacturers and bathroom fixture manufacturers have historically used chrome and Nickel over brass and copper. When exposed to any amount of moisture over a period of time, it is going to get really ugly. Regardless of how much clear finish you cover it with.

He was a firefighter that collected old fire related equipment.

All his stuff was polished to a mirror finish. There was a guy there who was asking him how he did such a great job polishing the items. He then told the firefighter he worked polishing airstream trailers and could never get them looking as good as this guy got his old fire extinguishers.
The firefighter never did really give him a straight answer.

The show was actually a vintage bicycle show but also included mini-bikes and lots of random collectibles of all sorts.

I have been going to it for at least 15 years if not longer. I have found many treasures over the years there.

Anyone know what the siren fits ? Year ? Ant other info on it ?

Thanks !
Darren

I have a few more pictures of sireno's still in the copper so it may have been a selling gimmick they were doing.

Sireno R-5-R

The Sireno R-5-R was normally chrome plated although some were painted, mianly for military use. It is a fairly common siren and was made in the thousands. These were never furnished in a copper finish because, as previously stated, the finish does not hold up well to the elements. It's pretty, but impractical. Personally, I sell this siren, with new chrome finish and reconditioned for $395. so $650. does seem rather high. I probably sell about four to six a year of these.
John Dorgan

Sireno R-5-R

The Sireno R-5-R was normally chrome plated although some were painted, mainly for military use. It is a fairly common siren and was made in the thousands. These were never furnished in a copper finish because, as previously stated, the finish does not hold up well to the elements. It's pretty, but impractical. Personally, I sell this siren, with new chrome finish and reconditioned for $395. so $650. does seem rather high. I probably sell about four to six a year of these.
John Dorgan

Thats why you should always ask someone who knows before buying...a $300.00 difference in price is a big difference. But sadly someone will buy it from this guy not knowing any better.

Back