1969 Miller Meteor Key Question

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Did M M use the same key for the ignition and all 5 of the doors? I have a key that will operate the drivers door, and the ignition, but none of the other doors. Since the key is a hardware store remake, I don't know if it is just off enough that it doesn't work the locks that have very little use on them, and worn tumblers are the reason it will work the ignition and drivers door. Thanks Paul

Keys

If my memory is correct, 1969 was the first year for the "square" ignition key and "oval" door key. My experience with these on professional cars is a "3 key system" whereby there is a square ignition key and two oval keys, one for the doors and one for the glove box. One of the oval keys is "notched" for identification.

That said, I have also seen a "2 key system" whereby the square ignition key opens all doors and the oval key is for the glove box.

I've never seen a case where a door key opens just the driver's door, but the way these cars get tweeked and worked over, nothing would surprise me.

In our 1969 Superior, the square key is for the ignition and all 5 doors and the oval key is for the glove box lock only.

on the ambulance all the doors should work with the switch key. how ever I have never been that lucky. Brendon's 63 has one key. my 68 has 3, the door key is a ignition blank. the 72 I had had 3 but the door key was a square one. I believe the 70 has the one key for the switch and doors. and the 72 seville the same.

most likly explanation is some one has changed the switch and either repined the door lock or removed the pins entirely. is the other key a ignition blank? a oval key with a extra bulge on top. I went out and bought a caddy crest key for the 68 because I kept grabbing the door key and trying to start the car.

I know that on my brother's 72 M-M the square ignition key works all 5 door locks and the round key works the glove box lock. I figured this out shortly after we brought it home and I had oiled all of the lock cylinders and tried the round key several times with no luck and decided to try the square ignition key and it worked great. All other 70's vintage GM products use the square ignition key for just the ignition and the round one for the doors, trunk, and glove box.

My 1970 superior uses the square key for the ignition and all doors, and the oval for glove box. (though I never got the oval key when I bought the car) Currently It's a 2 key system... when I put in the steering column, I couldn't get the original lock cylinder out of the old one. I did the same as ED - I got the crest key so I can easily tell them apart.

My 73 M-M combo is a two key car. The ignition key does all 5 doors and the oval key is the glove box. My 77 M-M is a three key car, ignition key, door key and glove box key.

I sprayed the locks with choke and carburetor cleaner, and worked the key into the lock a few times, and now they all work. I have the key number, so I am going to cut a new key from the number so I will have a first generation key for the car. The present key doesn't work as well in some doors as it does in others. I have the glove box key, but I haven't taken that lock apart yet to get that key number.

My 1966 has three keys. One square one for all of the doors, a different square one for the ignition and a round one for the glove box.

I sprayed the locks with choke and carburetor cleaner, and worked the key into the lock a few times, and now they all work. I have the key number, so I am going to cut a new key from the number so I will have a first generation key for the car. The present key doesn't work as well in some doors as it does in others. I have the glove box key, but I haven't taken that lock apart yet to get that key number.

My first car was a 1970 Chevy Nova... The ignition key was so worn down that it would start the car, but could be removed from the ignition while it was running. I remember once, I dropped my brother off at home, and took the key out so he could get something in the trunk. As soon as he closed the trunk, I drove off. When I got where i was going, I turned the car off before I realized it had no key in it. Of course, this was before cell phones. Walking home when you have a perfectly good car is a royal pain in the ass...

all the old Chevy's you could pull the key out of with the car running. that's why the switch had the tapes. it was not to be able to pop over on lock with out the key. just to off. but the worn switch would let it do so. you think walking home from a perfectly good running car was bad. try explaining to your dad why the car you weren't supposed to be driving. the one that he had your key to , was parked down town and you could not get it home.:stupid:

1969 Cadillac M+M Ambulance Keys

Paul,

The 1969 had two keys. The square key was for the ignition & round key for glove box and all 5 doors. The 1989 model year was the first for the square key and locking steering wheel. I personally drove (2) 1969 Cadillac Miller Meteor 48" Coaches while serving with Memorial Ambulance Service in Buffalo, NY, and I can tell you that I am 100% certain the year and model used the two keys - for the doors I mentioned above.

I have pictures of the (2) 1969 Cadillac M+M Ambulances that I drove while at Memorial Ambulance. I also have a picture of the 1970 Cadillac M+M.

We are still waiting in Canada for the Special Edition 2011 Internatioal Meet Edition- I check the post box daily. Thanks for all your work with the web site and for generating the funds for the special issue.

Happy Thanksgiving - warm personal regurads to both you and Sandy.

Joe Van Volkenburg

Back