playing ambulance driver

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
modern medicine is a wonderful thing these days. most of you all ready know that my mother is in the latter stages of Alzheimer's she has be vary mobile up to Wednesday night. pacing the floors sometimes all night . will as old people do, some how some thing happen. she ended up with a Fx on her right Humerus up hight enough to call it a hip. no one knows how and she is not talking. she was up wondering the halls and staff was putting pts to bed. they found her on the floor by the nurses station unable to stand or sit. so ambulance to locale hospital, ambulance to trauma center. were it was reviled that she has a none displaced Fx, really a big crack. they were able to plate and screw it together yesterday. so this morning it's dump everyone out on Friday time. they have had her up with the add of two people and walking. so send her back.
now comes the strange part of modern insurance. Medicare will not cover the cost of returning her to her facility. the will not pay to move a pt from a higher level of care to a lower level of care. she can't crawl up into the Yukon or the pick up. the geo only holds two and is impossible to get out of. the jeep is out of even thinking about. so it's put the 28 back into the 72 and go get her rather then pay one of the services $2000 to move her the 60 miles down.
that plan is still up in air as the nursing home doesn't fee that they have the staff or facility to handle her at this time, so soon after surgery. so with luck it's back to a swing bed at the locale hospital were they can do a little more pt and help with pain management.
mean time while the big boys discuss dumping the old lady some were, Kandy and I feel that a licensed EVO and a LPN with a good 1972 CB combination can move mom were ever it is we get to go.

that will be 2 generations got to have a ride in this car. with any kind of luck I'll starve off the 3rd generation horizontal ride a few more years

So sad that's what health care has come down to,shuttle people like cattle, nursing homes that welcome your money so long as the care required doesn't require more than basic care. not suppose to be that way, you live your life,pay your taxes do what is expected only to be treated like this, best of luck to you, I know if I was closer there would be a free helper for that stretcher.

Ed, Sorry to here of your Mom's injury. I had the same problem when my parents were alive. Thankfully the ambulance service operated by Scott & White hospital has WHEEL CHAIR VAN SERVICE. They charged $ 35.00 instead of $ 795.00. Maybe one of the services there has the same. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your Mom.

right now mom is 60 miles away so best bet is to get here home in the 72.
like all things planes fall threw. they were unable to arrange the transfer so it Monday. not bad we only had 3 hr stand by this morning. the home mom is in felt that 24 hr after surgery was not sufficient time to take here back on the ward. I felt the same thing the Alzheimer ward is a hands full with out having to worry about her getting up and reinjuring herself. with only a one man physical therapy staff and her being a wander that is more then a possibility. she is better off up there right now. Monday will be 4 days and the will have here up walking will by then. weather is not to change til Thursday so that's not going to be a problem

John,
The situation sounds tough, and it is...I am glad for you that you have the resources and the knowledge to see it through. I hope your mother recovers from her injury. I hope you and yours are all well.
My beloved grandmother had Alzheimer's Disease. There are more than a few health care professionals in my family...we still felt helpless, at times, to her condition.

I pray for the day when some genius out there cures that terrible illness.

May God bless you and your family.

CS

thanks for the kind words. you has to roll with the flow if they are going to get along in this world. end of life things are something all of us will have to deal with, be it a parent or spouse. I just don't know when medicine became a ho hum business.

I understand that the situation must be anything less than ideal, but it must be pretty cool to use your 1972 ambulance for its original purpose. Almost like traveling in the past. Beats the 2000$ fee anyways.

Don't let all these posts fool you.. Ed is going to bill Medicare the $2000, and will settle for whatever they send him. ($0.00). :D He has probably logged more miles on his and others vehicles, chauffeuring relatives for daily outings, doctors appointments, etc., than anyone else on this website. He has always enjoyed doing so, and the recipients have always enjoyed the ride.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There are more, but I don't want to belabor the subject... ;)

Ed,just watched a program from London Ont,the Alzheimers society there is experimenting with I-pods,the patient is given an I-pod with music from there era or favorite songs,they say the calming effect this has relaxes people and they sleep better and are less prone to walking aimlessly,in no way is it a cure but just wanted to share with you,

we did get grandmother out in everything that ran. used the 72 hightop cb for here 100th BD.

but tomorrow is the day. 11:30 the time notice it's just before lunch. I have a appointment up there anyway it is of course the only day with rain and high wind in a week. how do they do that.

I'm at least charging mom foe the gas lunch if we can. in her condition it's hard to keep her account under the 2000 bucks that she is allowed. I'll look into the player it might be something that will connect with her.

final today was the day. the storm stayed south and is heading east so we had a little wind but that was it. Mom looked good after a week in the spa. you would have thought that after a week and 2 dozen phone calls someone would have mentioned that I did not bring any closes they were discharging her in her birthday suit. they said she could go sitting up but I'm glad we had the coach. stood the trip will and when we got the transfer completed we did as any other crew and found a fast food joint to get something to eat.
then went up to her room and took her some clothes to the hospital. then like any other run as I was cleaning up I realized I left the pillow in her hospital room. some things never change. glad the hospital is only a few blocks away. here is a little video I took coming out of the parking lot in Rapid. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJHG57a4T4[/ame]

Attachments

• IMG_0423.jpg
    IMG_0423.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 143
Ed, Thanks for sharing. What a fine rig and the best driver and attendant. Your mom is lucky to have such a fine son and daughter in law.

now you all know how it it we checked the car over before we went up to spearfish with it. when we got mom home I noticed a small puddle under it. so looked it over good. topical gm raider leak. they build up calcium just sitting still and it final pushes the tank off the end. we have gotten to that point with this car. while we have it out it's time to change out that high side of the power steering pump to. been working on the 67 better do a few thing on the 72. we might need to use it again

thanks Paul for the help with the clip

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 100
Back