1975 Superior XL54 Ambulance

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Cadillac-Other-/272649629929?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276

FOR SALE: 1975 Superior model number 54XL ambulance on a Cadillac chassis. The 54XL model ambulance was manufactured for only two years. It featured the rear driver’s side windows covered over with sheet metal and a floor to ceiling medical cabinet along the interior wall. This ambulance also featured a walk-through partition. 30 of this model of ambulance was made by Superior and only 4 are known to still survive. This very rare example of an emergency transport vehicle is in near “museum” quality. Remember, each ambulance in this era was hand made by skilled craftsmen.

BODY: This amazing California car has never been driven in the snow or on salty roads. There is no rust anywhere. No rust on the lower part of the car, the quarter panels, fenders, floorboards, rockers or frame. The body is perfectly straight and has no sign of body fill repairs. The undercarriage is very clean and free of rust.

PAINT: The paint is about 10 years old and still shines like new. There are one or two tiny chips but no cracking, peeling or fading. The car has been kept in a climate-controlled garage for many years.

CHROME: All chrome and stainless steel is in very good condition. No rust anywhere. The side moldings are perfectly straight. The bumpers are straight and lenses are clear and intact.

GLASS: All glass is 100% perfect. The windshield is brand new.

INTERIOR: The complete interior was redone last year. New swivel seats, carpeting, headliner, flooring, cabinets and attendant chairs and bench are new. All interior wiring was replaced by a certified automotive electrician. All interior lights work. The rear spotlights turn on when the rear door is opened.

ELECTRICAL: All lights, sirens, dash gages (including the clock) are in working order. The automatic climate controlled AC keeps the interior cool. The AM/FM radio works. Two new heavy-duty batteries are less than a year old. The B&M Super Chief siren is new and is LOUD! There are also dual electrical sirens with a PA system. All emergency lights work and the headlights flash when the roof beacons are activated.

DRIVETRAIN: The 500-cubic inch V8 engine and the Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission were completely rebuilt 200 miles ago. There are absolutely zero leaks coming from the engine or transmission. The engine compartment is super clean. The exhaust system is new.

TIRES: The heavy-load whitewall tires have less than 100 miles on them and are less than a year old.

Here’s a short list of recent work done to this fabulous car:
• Re-built engine and transmission
• New paint
• Complete new interior
• New wiring
• Re-laminate cabinets in Southern Oak #7153-58
• New controller arm
• New bushings
• New tie rods
• New idler arms
• New ball joints
• New fuel tank
• New shocks
• New sway bushings and radius bushings
• Carburetor re-build
• New muffler system
• Aligned all doors
• New heavy duty starter
• New duel heavy duty batteries
• New hood hinges

Still needed to be done: I have the new door weather-stripping but the inside door frames should be re-painted. As you can see in the photos, the door frames are painted solid orange and I wanted to paint then to correspond to the outside color (white where there is white). Of course, you can leave them solid orange and put the new weather-stripping on right away.

It also can use a heat shield between the muffler and the floor. The interior floor gets warm right where the muffler below is.

PRICE: Over $35,000 has been invested into this beautiful and very rare historical emergency vehicle. I am asking $23,500.00. Additional photos are available to serious buyers.

Good luck with her Jim ....shes a beautiful example !!!
I would love to have her....but then I would have to ship the 72 back to you !!;):D

Thanks Channing for posting. Most of you here will know Jim's car and the work he has put in to make it was it is. I am biased, but there are very few 54XL out there and he has done a great restoration. Hopefully it can be kept in the PCS family.

Back