Ambulances on 1970's Streets of San Francisco TV Show

Ambulances on The Streets of San Francisco

http://guardiansofthecity.org/ems/ambulances/motorized/ambulance_1970s.jpg

This picture shows the box over cab or "modular " units SFDPH EMS Division purchased around 1973 . These rigs were different than their predecessors because they were equipped with Ferno Model 28 stretchers that folded up into a chair position so it could be easily maneuvered down narrow hallways , stairwells and into elevators , which is still used today by the SFFD medics .

The ambulances sported a Twin Sonic lightbar with two California steady burn red lights on the hood , with a rear amber and red flasher above the rear doors . They were also equipped with two Motorola radios , one for contact with C-MED dispatch and San Francisco General Hospital base station , the other for direct contact with SFPD on Low Band Channel 4 ( 45.460 MHz ) and Federal PA 20 Interceptor electronic sirens . Around then , most DPH ambulance " stewards " began to receive full EMT training until a pilot paramedic program began in the late 1970's .

That would be us :gun2:

So is the Oakland overseas Replacement Station.

The other ambulances that we had we called the "crackerboxes". I do not remember the maker but basically a truck cab & frame and a box setup on the back. I only dove them a couple of times and did not like them since they had a governor set at 55 mph and were not nealy as comfortable as the Pontiacs. Left those for the guys with less rank.

Other San Frnacisco Hospitals victim to the wrecking ball .

US Public Health Hospital .

San Francisco Hospitals no longer in existance but still standing

Hahneman Hospital ( Marshall Hale Community Hospital )
French Hospital
St. Elizabeth's Infant Hospital
Harkness Community Hospital ( old Southern Pacific Hospital )
Golden Gate Hospital
Callison Memorial Hospital
Notre Dame Hospital
St. Joseph's Hospital
Children's Hospital
Park Emergency Hospital
Alemany Emergency Hospital
Shriner's Hospital
Unity Hospital

San Francisco Ambulance services no longer existing

Federal-Mercy Peninsula Ambulance Service ( Mercy-Life Care )
Baystar Medical Services
San Francisco Ambulance Service
Aid Ambulance Service
Medevac Ambulance Service
San Francisco Department of Public Health

Sort of a relevant story

I worked for Federal Ambulance Service in San Francisco in 1973-74 ...and we had mostly Superior hightops and a couple of MM's thrown in for good measure.
It was a running joke about the "Cities" ambulance service....with their WW2 stretchers......a LOT of the time the City of San Francisco would call us to transport the patient because the patient or patients family did not want the service of the city...it was really antiquated.....and they wanted a more "modern" service.......
Same thing applied when it came to cpr cases.....
Alot of the time the Internationals were used by the SFPD as a "Paddy wagon" when when their own Paddy wagons were down or they needed additional units.......
I remember one time when it was "Fleet" week and there were always very large groups of sailors in North Beach which is where the Condor Club was and Topless dancing was featured by Carol Doda....it was all new then...that coupled with seedy bars and sex shops.....
We get a call for "bar fight " with numerous victims.......when we arrived
there is the SF "Ambulance" with 4 situps in the back and we say "Ok you guys have it under control ?" The driver responds " Ohh no those are just some drunks we are transporting for the PD"....."we can still take a patient or 2 " "If you guys can take a couple it would be much appreciated".......
So happened pretty regularly.....PaddyWagon/ambulance combination !!
I remember the owners of Federal and Mercy-Peninsula tried to get the city to turn over the service to them BUT the city refused and said that they give "adequate" servce and value.......
Ahhhhhhhh the 70's.......

My dad was a cop with SFPD back then on the solo motorcycle unit . Everytime Fleet Week would come around , the motorcycle unit was detailed out to the North Beach area to give the radio car guys a hand and mainly concentrate on parking and traffic enforcement . One night , him and his partner rolled up on a guy that was down half way on the sidewalk and half way in the gutter near Broadway and Kearney . He reeked of **** and vomit , did not respond to my dad and he called for the patrol wagon . There were none available at that time of the morning ( after midnight ) , so he called for a Central District squad car and had no luck there and ended up calling in an ambulance . It to my dad's surprise wasn't a city one , but King American that was using high roof vans at the time with twin Model 184 beacons , a federal Signal siren speaker between them and amber rear warning flashers . The EMTs were just "thrilled" to get the call to handle the drunk sailor , who by then was combative and screaming foul language at the top of his lungs ! My dad , who was a good cop throughout his career of 32 years told him , " Hey , now you either got to choices . One , you get your ass into this ambulance and go to Central Detox or you got to jail . Make up your mind . "

The sailor decided that he needed to lie down again and pass out and was put on the gurney and went to Central Detox rather than the scary and dirty confines of City Jail at the Hall of Justice !

King-American

Ahh yes,King-American....A GREAT company still in business to this day.:)

I can remember LOTS of call jumping and lots of mischief between KA and my company Federal Ambulance.....it was truely a rivalry ala Mother Jugs and Speed !!:D:thumbsup:

Back