1996 Superior Buick Roadmaster parts needed

Rick Davis

PCS Member
I especially need a drivers door window (commercial glass, not stock) for 1996 Superior Buick Roadmaster. Accubuilt says it is the same glass as a Cadillac Commercial Hearse 1993 - 96 and says the part number is 940987.

I also need the rear bumper guard/license plate surround (again, not on a stock Roadmaster) and a drivers door blue door pull with its wood-grain panel, or a complete blue door panel (this is the same as stock I believe.)

have you checked with a locale glass shop to see if the glass
is still available. armed with the number they can check inventory for you.

I dont think the Buick and Cadillac glass are the same. They look different to me. Your not the only one out there looking for these parts.

The 1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood used the same front doors as the contemporary Buick Roadmaster and Chevrolet Caprice. They were built on the same assembly line in Texas and shared many under-the-skin components. I would assume that, as you were told, the Superior commercial Cadillac and the commercial Buick models shared the same custom-made commercial front door glass. It just makes sense. The door shells were the same, so...why tool for two different pieces of glass?

I have never seen a commercial glass Buick I believe Accubuilt only did commercial glass in Cadillacs. Easy to tell top front of door,commercial glass comes up and makes a sharp angle the standard males a sweeping curve NO angle. That being said ALL front door glass is the same from 91 to 96 except for 91,92 Cadillac Brougham. This goes for Caprice Roadmaster and Brougham. I have plenty of glass here but you should be able to find at local U pull it yard for a few $$$. Make sure when replacing you lube sliders on the window and the inside of the door to prevent grief with the sliders. BTW they are available from Dorman at most auto parts stores.

I can tell you that it is not standard Roadmaster glass, it jams in the track. The second glass shop that looked at it realized the first glass guy put in standard glass. I also have a 94 S & S Roadmaster and the markings on the correct glass and the replacement are different.

I have never seen a commercial glass Buick I believe Accubuilt only did commercial glass in Cadillacs. Easy to tell top front of door,commercial glass comes up and makes a sharp angle the standard males a sweeping curve NO angle. That being said ALL front door glass is the same from 91 to 96 except for 91,92 Cadillac Brougham. This goes for Caprice Roadmaster and Brougham. I have plenty of glass here but you should be able to find at local U pull it yard for a few $$$. Make sure when replacing you lube sliders on the window and the inside of the door to prevent grief with the sliders. BTW they are available from Dorman at most auto parts stores.

Glass

Not the best pic, but you had 3 versions on the windshields these years .The stock windshield which is usually pretty easy to tell by the inward cant of the door glass . The other windshield is commercial glass and has the same basic style as the stock windshield but is slightly taller and wider. The 3rd being the commercial glass you usually think on in these years . This pics shows the 2 versions of the commercial glass . If there was one built with the commercial glass in the pic as in the coach in the foreground, I would think the side glass is different as you can see how the door glass is the same basic shape as a stock piece but looks to be more angled out. :my2cents:

Attachments

• DSC04814.jpg
    DSC04814.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 315
This has been discussed before with the wider at the top windshield they just angled (bent) the top of the doors outward. I do remember there was some change in the glass number for the door in later years. I will check my Hollander Interchange tomorrow and report. But there is no special glass for commercial cars other than that used in the commercial glass units like the Masterpiece and commercial glass six doors.

all I have to say is if it fits the door frame on the top with out the riser comming out it's the right glass. the jamming is not from the glass but a broken slider or just out of adjustment.

been awhile sine I got into one of these but as I recall the mid 90 stuff use the perforated tap strip. to push pull the glass up on the center pole. the pole would adjust in a 360 circle.with a glide front and rear clipped threw a hole in the glass. it would snap in the track and that was what kept the glass straight to go smooth up and down. 9times out of ten the problem was the tape strip were the gear tooth engaged it would distort and the window would jam at the spot usually all most up. but they have done so many CS things I could be off on what you have. teh other thig to check were the rivets they would get cut and start to move. causing it to jam also.

The 1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood used the same front doors as the contemporary Buick Roadmaster and Chevrolet Caprice. They were built on the same assembly line in Texas and shared many under-the-skin components. I would assume that, as you were told, the Superior commercial Cadillac and the commercial Buick models shared the same custom-made commercial front door glass. It just makes sense. The door shells were the same, so...why tool for two different pieces of glass?

The shape of the Cadillac S&S Masterpiece glass is not the same as the commercial Buick door glass. The Cadillac glass comes to a point and the Buick glass is rounded. Were there two different commercial Cadillac door glass's?
I always thought the door glass on the commercial Buicks were the same as a standard car with the window frames slanted forward to match up with the windshield.
If there were to different Cadillac commercial door glass's than I guess it is possible but if you are mating a S&S Masterpiece door glass to a commercial glass Buick the glass looks nothing alike.
As for the door shells, that is interesting. I have a friend that needs a left door for his commercial glass 94 Buick S&S. He found out that a standard car door would not work, roadmaster caprice or otherwise. Keith, are you saying a Cadillac door would be the same?

From research done by other PCS members(and discussed previously) it has been found the doors ARE the same the door on commercial glass non squared off (Wider at the top) windshields. All that was done was the doors were modified by bending them outward from the belt line up to compensate for the wider at the top windshield. Thus YES a standard door will NOT fit till modified as above. This appears to be a simple modification. Without seeing a modified door I am unaware how they handled the window tracks. What do you have???

I have two Buicks, 94 S &S and 96 Superior. I suspect I will have to take both to a good glass shop and let them dissect both to sort out the issue! :)

All right I have researched Hollander Manual and called the glass distributer I buy my glass from. The following are the results,Hollander number 5392 is the same glass 91 t0 96 Buick,Chevrolet,Cadillac except 91-92 Brougham, Parts numbers GM 18172529 and 18172538 glass industry numbers DD7832GJNNR and DD7833GJNNR Right and left numbers. There is no such thing as commercial glass for the curved at the front standard door only for the commercial glass as used in the Masterpiece and Commercial glass six door Cadillac. The issue in the Buick concerns the regulator and is in all probability a bad plastic slider in the regulator. If going to a glass shop make SURE they have experiance working on these cars or you are going to pay for their education. Again the rollers are available from Dorman at auto parts stores or on Ebay they are cheap and lubeing with white grease is a must.

Also measure across the top of the windshield on both Coaches then measure a stock sedan or wagon measurements should be the same. If you find one or both of your coaches are wider then they are the wider top commercial glass.Please let us know the results so this can be (pardon the pun) put to rest.

I know its not an issue with the rollers (I've had my head in there trying to figure it out too, to no avail.) I guess it goes to show you that even consulting the builder leads you astray! Thanks to everyone that replied to my post...now on to the other parts I need! :)

All right I have researched Hollander Manual and called the glass distributer I buy my glass from. The following are the results,Hollander number 5392 is the same glass 91 t0 96 Buick,Chevrolet,Cadillac except 91-92 Brougham, Parts numbers GM 18172529 and 18172538 glass industry numbers DD7832GJNNR and DD7833GJNNR Right and left numbers. There is no such thing as commercial glass for the curved at the front standard door only for the commercial glass as used in the Masterpiece and Commercial glass six door Cadillac. The issue in the Buick concerns the regulator and is in all probability a bad plastic slider in the regulator. If going to a glass shop make SURE they have experiance working on these cars or you are going to pay for their education. Again the rollers are available from Dorman at auto parts stores or on Ebay they are cheap and lubeing with white grease is a must.

SO....here is what I know....the top of the correct window leading edge has a gentle curve, like the stock Roadmaster glass, not angular. I made a template to match the curvature of the bottom of the window above the front edge of the door handle of the CORRECT glass in my 94 Buick and checked the 96 Buick. The stock Roadmaster glass has a different curvature from the correct hearse glass. For photos illustrating the difference check the PCS facebook page or my page- https://www.facebook.com/rick.davis.3785/posts/10209195223657906

(I know you read this on the FB post, but here for the others)
For starters, just saying "roadmaster hearse" is part of the problem and will get you nowhere. So, proper coachbuilder ID is amazing for help. I think I remember your post, and have a S&S or Supeiror Buick. So there you go, you need to source the window from another S&S or Superior Buick, yes its different than stock, its CG, OR possibly a Superior Cadillac Sovereign-I know for a fact at least the first 6 didgets match, the Sovereign so verry possible the rest do too-there were two styles of CG side glass. So source a window from a S&S or Superior Buick, and problem solved. Or check to make sure the Sovereign (NOT statesman) matches the last few numbers, but most likely it does.
As for the license plate surround good luck, you will probably never find one. They are made of a cheap foam filled plastic surround, and break, I should say almost disintegrate taking one off. They were made just for these cars, and no more are out there, other than parts cars, and good luck taking one off in one piece. That's why several cars do not have them anymore (including one of mine).

Yes, the S&S Buick Victorias and Superior Buick SOvereigns were in fact commercial glass, (used the same one as the Superior Sovereign), which is different than what the Masterpiece used.

If you read the previous posts you should have seen that it DID say 1996 Superior Buick more than once, as a matter of fact this thread is- Thread: 1996 Superior Buick Roadmaster parts needed.

(I know you read this on the FB post, but here for the others)
For starters, just saying "roadmaster hearse" is part of the problem and will get you nowhere. So, proper coachbuilder ID is amazing for help. I think I remember your post, and have a S&S or Supeiror Buick. So there you go, you need to source the window from another S&S or Superior Buick, yes its different than stock, its CG, OR possibly a Superior Cadillac Sovereign-I know for a fact at least the first 6 didgets match, the Sovereign so verry possible the rest do too-there were two styles of CG side glass. So source a window from a S&S or Superior Buick, and problem solved. Or check to make sure the Sovereign (NOT statesman) matches the last few numbers, but most likely it does.
As for the license plate surround good luck, you will probably never find one. They are made of a cheap foam filled plastic surround, and break, I should say almost disintegrate taking one off. They were made just for these cars, and no more are out there, other than parts cars, and good luck taking one off in one piece. That's why several cars do not have them anymore (including one of mine).

Glass

SO....here is what I know....the top of the correct window leading edge has a gentle curve, like the stock Roadmaster glass, not angular. I made a template to match the curvature of the bottom of the window above the front edge of the door handle of the CORRECT glass in my 94 Buick and checked the 96 Buick. The stock Roadmaster glass has a different curvature from the correct hearse glass. For photos illustrating the difference check the PCS facebook page or my page- https://www.facebook.com/rick.davis.3785/posts/10209195223657906

Rick I ,am posting the pics from your FB post . Interesting info .Thanks

Attachments

• 13177_10209195219697807_6585014576781536948_n.jpg
    13177_10209195219697807_6585014576781536948_n.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 12523869_10209195219817810_5187829973116910748_n.jpg
    12523869_10209195219817810_5187829973116910748_n.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 103
  • 10649497_10209195219977814_181546463397828167_n (1).jpg
    10649497_10209195219977814_181546463397828167_n (1).jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 96
Back