The things you learn when "recycling" a car!!!

Dana Bennett

PCS Life Member
Hi all!!
as some of you know I am in the quick process of getting rid of a '72 Old's C/B. I find taking something apart often leads to interesting discoveries!!
One such discovery was how the rear side windows come out!! I had not planned on taking them out because I had no idea how to do it, well after removing the inside window trim I could see the glass mounted in rubber and thought, gosh, I could just pull down a bit on the egde of the rubber, push a little from the outside and work the glass out of the rubber gasket!! Well, I was wrong!! I pushed on the outside glass and POOF!! the whole thing gasket and all just fell into the car with very little effort!! (did not get damaged!)
I then removed the outside window trim and learned that yes, my car was indeed light green when made but also that the top had been dark green when new!! (both top and bottom now black) I also see that C/B had to add plywood to the top and rear of steel opening so the outside trim would fit properly!!
ALSO!!! after removing the top interior panel on the left rear I found a steel box about 8" x 10" x 10" welded to the inside driverside quarter panel interior steel with 4 rubber hoses going to/from it?? I'm guessing this could be part of the vapor part for the fuel system?? why the heck is it INSIDE the car???
anyways, just thought I would share!!
Dana Bennett.

sounds like the rear heater. before you start laughing some of the cold climate cars did have rear heaters in there hearses. but give us a pictures and we maybe able to tell you what your looking at. shouldnt be any fuel lines in there.

Similar stories abound re: the construction methods employed on the orig. Lincoln Continentals, which were cobbled together one-at-a-time from stock Lincolns in a corner of the plant. Low volume custom coachwork often involved many little "secrets" hidden 'neath the shiny exteriors. When Edsel Ford commissioned the Continental prototype in '39, the fellow in charge breathed a huge sigh of relief when the job was done. But, then, to this man's dismay, Edsel promptly ordered ANOTHER one because his friends in Fla had been so impressed by the 1st one. "No good deed goes..............."

Back