It's alive and moving...

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
After languishing on the sidelines for the past 2 years, our 1969 Miller Meteor ambulance is alive and moving under its own power. The front end is completely rebuilt, and even has the typical shock absorber squeak. More about that later on in another thread. I have been driving it for the past 2 days, and have logged almost 100 miles so far. It is as tight as a drum without any rattles or squeaks, other than the one mentioned. It shifts smoothly and the engine is so quiet, you barely notice that it is running. This is a car that I found in Washington, and PCS Member Rick Franklin inspected for me. It has a remarkably sound body, and the doors open and close like it did when it was new. Yesterday, I got my first view of the underneath of the car, and was pleasantly surprised to see that there is no rust on the floor pans. There is only surface rust on the frame, that will be easy to treat and repaint. Unfortunately, the hot dry climate where it was in service did cause one problem for the car. The roof vent seal failed, and when it was stored outside in Washington, the wettest state in the union, the roof vent leaked and ruined the linoleum floor. The inside of the rear compartment is a paradox of extremes. The headliner is brittle from the dry heat, and the floor has de-laminated from the moisture. Both of these problems are going to be resolved as soon as possible. All of the seats and upholstery are in excellent condition as well as all the door panels. This is going to be one very sweet car when it is painted and brought back to its original condition. Today when driving the car back from the Registry of Motor Vehicles, a thought came to me... This is just like the ambulance that I drove back in 1969. :D

Attachments

• MVC-012L.jpg
    MVC-012L.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 163
  • MVC-013L.jpg
    MVC-013L.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 149
Yea Paul. This reminds me of the very first rig I worked on with Zelley Funeral Home in Flint, MI. It had tunnel lights and was an extremely bright yellow, but it was fun.
CONGRATULATIONS​
!!!!:thumbsup:

Paul this is good news, You know how much I love this car, and I can't wait to watch it's restoration. As we discussed the snow tires have to go. Best of luck.:D

The studded snow tires are going tomorrow morning. They make so much noise, that I call the car clip pity clop....

snow and ice are on the way. but really all 4 corners. so will that one fit in a normal garage door with the lights still on? don't think 6 in lower would be enough. but how and were the damage is on these cars if always a surprise. there are the normal caddy places but the rest is up to how and were they were kept. nothing is constent

Glad I was able to assist in the purchase. If you hadnt bought it, I would have found a way to. But since you had first dibs, I wasnt going to be a claim jumper. I had forgotten what the car looked like since I went to look at it

Glad I was able to assist in the purchase. If you hadnt bought it, I would have found a way to. But since you had first dibs, I wasnt going to be a claim jumper. I had forgotten what the car looked like since I went to look at it

I see you have a new website for your PNW Chapter Rick. Looks great! I need one started down here but no one knows how to start it and maintain it plus, we're broke!

Well, well, well...

It's about time you took your eyes off that Pinner long enough to pay some attention to the Miller-Meteor. Got tired of being all by yourself in the Pinner Chapter, so you thought you'd hang out with the Miller-Meteor folks for awhile, huh? :p

I just have one gesture for you...

:thumbsup:

Congratulations on getting the 'ol girl limbered up and motoring again! Can't wait to see the progress of her restoration. (Don't forget to send me the body number for the registry.)

That's a great looking ambulance, Paul! Good luck with the restoration. Those 4 Ful-Vu lights give it classic Miller-Meteor"-ness." My '69 M-M combo was stored indoors for all of its life and some of the door seals still squeak like new when you open a door!

This weekend, it was treated to a new set of sneakers. I had Kelly Springfield Navigator Gold Extra Load tires installed. These are the same tires that I put on the 1963 Chrysler, and I can't believe how smoothly they car handles once the studded snows were removed. This car has no rattles, drives perfectly, and the engine is as smooth running as a new car. It took me by surprise, since I thought that it would need a tune up as a minimum and who knows what else. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• MVC-015L.JPG
    MVC-015L.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 52
The real winner is going to be the one that has the most cash in hand. Nothing on these cars is ever cheap, and if you can eventually own it for under $2.00 a pound, you are doing well.... :D

Back