Ambulance Accident

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
It is amazing that this was caught on video....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkLbG-n6_ic[/ame]

makes one wounder just how safe those cracker boxes are. just think pt on gurney and two EMTs in the back belted in or not. notice they never say who's conversion it was or which remount. but to knock it off the frame is a little cheap motor home .

WOW!

Thanks for posting that Paul. I hadn't seen this before.

Very lucky no patient on board and a paramedic in the rear compartment. that would not have been survivable given the condition of the box.

I'll certainly be sharing this with my crews.

I'd be interested to know what the driver of the car was charged with, because he blew right through that stop sign.:thumbsdown:

This ambulance is from a neighboring community. We use them as the contracted provider for the county fair. Our fire department often works with them when the area ambulance isn't available. Great crews and a true community ambulance. There have been fatal accidents at this intersection in the past. The video was actually caught on a close friends surveillance system.

Amazing that no one was seriously injured. I would love to know what company built that ambulance. The way some ambulances are built, it's A wonder that accidents like this don't occur more often. To all of you, as I do, still ride the ambulance, Get involved,
do your research. Make sure that the unit your squad or FD buys is well built and safe. you will fair better in an ambulance that is built 100% welded and 100% seamless. Many companies will state that they meet those specifications, when nothing could be further from the truth.
You all know that I sell ambulances, and I have been involved in this business for almost 50 years. I will not turn this into a commercial for the brand that I sell. If any one wants to know more please PM me and I will be Glad to share information with you. Stay safe out there!

what impressed me most was the hit were is was a good impact still tore the side walls off first then the flooring left. you see the dig jump sideways first and the car flip around for the second impact. then the box literally explodes. not good.

Camera is actually for security reasons. I believe there are cameras from each direction as you approach the residence. Yes this is a trouble intersection. Fatal accidents have occured here. The approach from the east is elevated and as you crest the hill the intersection is right there. That is why there are two stop signs at different elevations. A stop ahead sign is also in place prior to the intersection. The person in the car is from the neighboring community. Unknown if they were familiar with this particular intersection or not.

Thank God the ambulance was not with patient and crew in back, or it surely would have been a tragedy.

It is not safe back there, no one except the patient is strapped in much of the time. Although seatbelts probably wouldn't have helped in this situation anyways.

That ambulance appears to have been extremely poorly built as much as the non-chassis section literally exploded upon impact.

It's a miracle the onboard O2 tanks didn't explode!

Thank God the ambulance was not with patient and crew in back, or it surely would have been a tragedy.

It is not safe back there, no one except the patient is strapped in much of the time. Although seatbelts probably wouldn't have helped in this situation anyways.

That ambulance appears to have been extremely poorly built as much as the non-chassis section literally exploded upon impact.

It's a miracle the onboard O2 tanks didn't explode!

Remember they're all built to the same specs. Nothing would have survived better, other than an old slant side Braun.

I don't think that is true. there is a minimum specks but most build better. both the plants I have been threw the PL customs and the one in Huston. were welded boxes. there is no way this rig could have survived a roll over the floor is still on the chassis just spinning it around destroyed the box. those side walls had to have been bolted threw the wood. it popped every seam and flung the complete panels to the side.

Remember they're all built to the same specs. Nothing would have survived better, other than an old slant side Braun.

Not to be argumentative,Bill, but all ambulances are NOT built to the same specs!! An ambulance that was built 100% seamless and 100% welded would surely have fared better than that rig did.
Some manufacturers will tell you anything to sell you an ambulance. A lot of them claim to be 100% seamless and 100% welded. If you are buying an ambulance, you should go to the factory and see how they are Built.
Again, not turning this into a commercial for the brand that I sell.
if anyone has doubts about what I say ,I will be glad to show you proof
of what I have said, along with actual pictures of various wrecks that our ambulances have been involved in. PM me if you would like more info. Thanks, Denny.

Here in Massachusetts there's an infamous low bridge (10'-6", Boston commuter rail over a busy neighborhood street) that the local police have a camera trained on it and post the resulting videos via social media. A couple of months ago or so an out of town fire truck was caught striking the bridge. It was able to back up and leave the scene, but its ladder was apparently damaged.

More pictures

Here are some additional photographs. The ambulance in the first photo is the twin of the smashed rig.

Attachments

• TTA crash 1.jpg
    TTA crash 1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 105
  • TTA crash 2.jpg
    TTA crash 2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 113
  • TTA crash 3.jpg
    TTA crash 3.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 110
  • TTA crash 4.jpg
    TTA crash 4.jpg