60 Cadillac Hearse for Auction at Auburn

S&S

Willard C. Hess's grandfather, Emil E. Hess, and Charles A. Eisenhardt Sr. began working for Sayers and Scovill in 1891. Willard C. Hess (1906-2000) began working for Sayers and Scovill in 1930 after graduating from General Motors Institute in Flint, Michigan. Along with Charles A. Eisenhardt Jr.(1908-1988), another S&S employee, the pair bought an interest in S&S during 1938. The firm's principle owners, all Sayers & Scovill heirs, decided to close its doors at the start of WWII. Willard, his father, and the Eisenhardts, Charles Jr., & Sr. bought the trademarks and assets of the liquidated firm in 1942 and moved it to Rossmoyne, Ohio, a Cincinnati suburb, renaming it after their two families - Hess & Eisenhardt.

They kept the S&S trademark and continued to build Cadillac-based ambulances and hearses marketed as Sayers & Scovill coaches. 1942 S&S coach bodies were identical to their 1941 counterparts, although a new limousine-style model, called the Washington, was introduced in both Deluxe and Superline versions. Starting in 1942 stylish rear wheel spats with the S&S badge positioned over the axle centerline became available on all S&S funeral coaches as well as ambulances and combination cars.

Hyman Ltd. has had this one for sale awhile. I assume it's they who have it on auction now.

http://www.hymanltd.com/search/Details.asp?stockno=3896&recordCount=16

primary_3896_1.jpg

1962 s&s

I noticed that the 1962 S&S was sold new to "Funeral Auto Company" of Louisville, KY., that was a large livery service. If I am not mistaken they were also the same company that owned the Yellow Cab Ambulance Service of Louisville thru the early 70's that had a large fleet of (burnt orange) Cadillac and Pontiac Ambulances. The color was the same as Yellow Transit that hauled freight nationwide. MM

Yellow CAB aMBULANCE

I noticed that the 1962 S&S was sold new to "Funeral Auto Company" of Louisville, KY., that was a large livery service. If I am not mistaken they were also the same company that owned the Yellow Cab Ambulance Service of Louisville thru the early 70's that had a large fleet of (burnt orange) Cadillac and Pontiac Ambulances. The color was the same as Yellow Transit that hauled freight nationwide. MM
Mike the Last Time I DROVE THROUGH kENTUCKY I SAW A Yellow Cab Ambulance ( Ford TypeII )

Russ

classicdreamcars auction and...

I read the whole story about the 62 S&S posted here. At the bottom of the sales pitch it says thanks to the PCS for finally recognizing these fine cars. Didn't we always recognize hearses?
Mike

I read the whole story about the 62 S&S posted here. At the bottom of the sales pitch it says thanks to the PCS for finally recognizing these fine cars. Didn't we always recognize hearses?
Mike

they almost had it correct.......
Thanks to the Professional Coach Society for finally recognizing these great old cars.

Looks like the former Tom Hoczyk car....and prior to that I think Jeff Barb owned it. It seems odd to see these cars fetching the prices that they are getting anymore. Hyman asking $32.5k is pushing 59 Caddy prices.
Case in point this 62 S&S which "flipped" 3 times in a year.
http://www.classicdreamcars.com/62Cadillac%20S&SHearseSideLoader.html

Cary, I really don't think those prices are all that extreme. Considering their low production and survival rates, it almost seems like a bargain to me. And as hard as it is to believe, the '60 is forty years old, although I know it seems like only yesterday they were new, at least to some of us.

I must be losing it, thanks for the correction. Ironically, saying 50 even makes a stronger case for the values being accurate. Not to mention what a beauty some of these coaches are. In addition, if you had to restore one, I'll bet 32.5 would look like a bargain.

Back