Almost did it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday, April 10th one of my staff at the hotel tripped and fell on the stairs hurting her ankle and knee. I was working a funeral and had the Lifeliner at the funeral home for the day since I was taking it to a car show that evening. I get a call that this employee fell and would need to go to the hospital and had I not been tied up on the service, I would have transported her in the ambulance. In the end we had another employee scoot her to the hospital. She only twisted her ankle not breaking it, Thank God!.
Another missed opportunity but my day will come!!!
Richard

PS: I've run across 3 accidents recently where I could of used my ambulance to guard the scene with lights on if only.....I had it with me!!!:cool:

If you had transported her in your ambulance, and got into an accident, your insurance carrier might have declined to cover you, since you are not registered as an emergency vehicle, but as a passenger car. The only way that I would ever allow my ambulance to be used in an emergency situation, is if the police commandeered it for there use. Then I would be off the hook for liability. If you were transporting a family member, without lights or siren, then you would be OK, but now with a stranger or employee.

If you had transported her in your ambulance, and got into an accident, your insurance carrier might have declined to cover you, since you are not registered as an emergency vehicle, but as a passenger car. The only way that I would ever allow my ambulance to be used in an emergency situation, is if the police commandeered it for there use. Then I would be off the hook for liability. If you were transporting a family member, without lights or siren, then you would be OK, but now with a stranger or employee.

Ah the thrill of running hot again, how can one resist that? I'll do it, I swear I will if opportunity presents itself!!!

Richard

I've run across 3 accidents recently where I could of used my ambulance to guard the scene with lights on if only.....I had it with me!!!:cool:

I do alot of highway driving and see lots of accidents. I always wondered if this would even be legal. I always thought of turning on my purple procession lights and wig wags on for this reason, but afraid I would get in trouble. The way people drive around here it would help, people drive around accident scenes here about 70 and only slow down to 60 or so even after the emergency vehicles arrive.
I have even seen people get pissed because they dont think they should have to pull over for fire trucks and ambulances running code 3, they still think they have the right of way. I few weeks ago I saw a fire truck lock up its brakes for a car in the intersection that had a green light. The fire truck blared its horn, the car driver flipped off the fire truck and slowed down even further to make the truck wait longer. If it was me I would have pushed the car out of the way.
All people care about anymore is themselves.

Sorry anout my off topic rant here, I just had to get this off my chest.

Okay. I admit it, we used to transport my mom on non-emergency transports. We have also responded hot on a couple of FD EMS calls. Here is the thing though. As Police Chief and Kyle on the FD we were able to get away with it. Also we are both EMTs and the minimal staffing for an ambulance is two EMTs. We also have a mix of current and historic equipment on board. My insurance agent probably wouldn't be thrilled to hear that, but the big thing is don't get in an accident.

Okay. I admit it, we used to transport my mom on non-emergency transports. We have also responded hot on a couple of FD EMS calls. Here is the thing though. As Police Chief and Kyle on the FD we were able to get away with it. Also we are both EMTs and the minimal staffing for an ambulance is two EMTs. We also have a mix of current and historic equipment on board. My insurance agent probably wouldn't be thrilled to hear that, but the big thing is don't get in an accident.

That's what I'm talking about Ron.

richard

Yes, it's fun.

Just make sure you also don't get stopped by the police - or by the state ambulance licensing staff! :eek:

Steve Lichtman
(Commercial Ambulance Licensing Inspector
Maryland Institue for EMS Systems)
*my part time job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back