For your well-equipped ambulance......

OMG are you serious, ashtrays were actually put into the back of ambulances??? That would be like having a bar at an AA meeting! :eek:

By the way, the fire department canteen unit (food, water for firefighters at major incidents) that I run with in Washington, DC, was stocked until the mid-1990's with cigarettes. When a firefighter came out of a fire and pulled off his air mask (which protects him from the dangerous smoke in a fire), often the first thing he wanted was a cigarette.

We had an old fire captain in Woodstock,who would never wear the breathing gear,after a few minutes he would come barreling out of the smoke drop to all fours gagging and coughing and gasping for breath,and between breaths he would yell for a cigarette,they called him a true smoke eater,!!!!the other firefighters had other choice names for him.P.S. I have seen people use the k-basin in the back for an ashtray.

ash trays

That style ash tray had a long life. They are the same style as was in one of my 1940 Fords years ago.
Mike

Back