1935 Packard carved panel

Hi John, The parts in the rear are supposed to be for this coach and I kinda assembled them to see what the whole thing looked like. There is Packard Blue paint under the black on the cowl forward, so it could be a later conversion since the data plate does show it as a 814 commercial sedan but the wheelbase is longer. Planning on getting it up on stands this weekend and getting underneath to take a look. The carved panels as well as all of the arch and trim is wood with the drapes mounted on what appears to be galvanized steel. The car is again back under cover, but I'm planning on going over the mechanicals first then onto the body unless there is a reason to get to the body first. The hinges on the lower portion of the rear door are frozen so I have been soaking with oil every couple of days for the last week. There are 2 bumps on the roof of the car that line up with holes in the cross holder in the rear compartment.

Have made a little more progress here and there, rear door now opens fully and hood, grille and radiator are out and shutters work again. The table slides to the rear just far enough to contact the lower part of the loading door.
9000911269_64dbfe91f5.jpg

9020613539_967fcdd9c7.jpg

9000911181_0258d76652.jpg

9000911389_a76c9e0405.jpg

9000911445_21c6923640.jpg

9020613487_c2992de1f9.jpg

9022839098_a82e47f109.jpg

that is one cool car. glad to see someone that has more work than me. what is the light switch by the rear door be for? thanks, keep up on the pictures I'm glad to see some step by step work.

Not sure what the switch is for but it could be for the light in the ceiling in the rear compartment. Wire chasing won't be happening for a while.

That rear loading door has been a goal since the day I got it. took a while to get one of the hinges moving a tiny bit and finally got the other two last night.

Walt would have been the one to show those pictures to. If it was built up there he would most likely refinish the builder

Walt and Len have seen these pictures and will be doing some research in Canada, hopefully someone will recognize where this coach originally served.

Walt will surely find it but Ill guess somewhere in Montreal, trois-Rivières or Quebec city. They were proudly owned by big funeral homes and used until the mid 50's sometimes. Major cities or even north here where I live a small FH had one in 1940's.

Picture taken in 1945 showing the coach of J-D Garneau Funeral home of Cap-de-la-Madeleine (near Trois-Rivières). Showing the typically French Canadian cross ornament.

Back