How To Package......

A couple weeks ago I purchased a Federal 173 Beacon Ray from Rocky. I'm always real concerned about how these things will take "the ride", they tend to get damaged. Here is how Rocky handled that problem, he assured me that there would be no damage. When they FedEx guy delivered it to Barb he asked what was in it, she showed him one of my other Beacons. He told her that this packaging "kicks ass", we couldn't damage that if we tried.

BTW, thanks to Rocky for NOT sending a tornado with this light, unlike my friend Doug did with the last one I purchased.

Attachments

• 010 (2).jpg
    010 (2).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 289
  • 011 (2).jpg
    011 (2).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 296
  • 012 (2).jpg
    012 (2).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 290
Good lookin' out by Rocky, but seem excessive and probably expensive? People think these things are fragile, sometimes forgetting the fact that they spent most their lives bolted to the top of a speeding car with nothing more than a rubber gasket beneath them. The factory packaging was nothing more than a cardboard box with two pieces of cardboard with a ring cut out of them inside. Add a little bubble wrap to the original mix and it'll probably get there all right, in a box a quarter of the size. The real issue is the condition of the light before shipment. If the innards are loose and bouncing around you're probably going to have some damage on the other end. Ship it out ready to run and I bet it makes it there all right.

I gotta find a FedEx location nearby, or start having them come pick things up. They're killin it on price! That thing in your picture would cost $50 to go UPS. I stopped using them because they're up to $15 to ship a die cast car, while the post office is around $8-$9 usually. That's a big difference on a $15 item.

I ship a lot of stuff and it ends up being a game of inches. Sometimes an extra inch or two can cost you a third more in shipping costs. I'll bet if that light was in its original box FedEx would have charged under $10.

Good lookin' out by Rocky, but seem excessive and probably expensive? People think these things are fragile, sometimes forgetting the fact that they spent most their lives bolted to the top of a speeding car with nothing more than a rubber gasket beneath them. The factory packaging was nothing more than a cardboard box with two pieces of cardboard with a ring cut out of them inside. Add a little bubble wrap to the original mix and it'll probably get there all right, in a box a quarter of the size. The real issue is the condition of the light before shipment. If the innards are loose and bouncing around you're probably going to have some damage on the other end. Ship it out ready to run and I bet it makes it there all right.

Better safe than sorry. I know I would rather pay more and know its going to make it in one piece than take a chance. Im sure the shippers are rougher on packages now than they were when this light was originally shipped.

glad it made it safe. As Russell said it was not a lot to ship and tubs can usually be had for around $5-10. and I have sent a lot or stuff out that way. Shippers always love a tub like that they pick it up and carry it by the handles and don't throw it around that way. And when all is said and done you have a tub to put stuff in it any way. And the tub is really not that much bigger when you look at the size of the light laying down in it.

... The factory packaging was nothing more than a cardboard box with two pieces of cardboard with a ring cut out of them inside...
Yeah, but the thing is, back in the day, when a package said "FRAGILE", they treated it as though it was actually fragile. I've marked packages "fragile" and the guy will immediately throw it on the floor so it lands on it's side. And back in the day, if the light did arrive broken, you could get a new one. It's a little harder now.

I love the packaging with the tub, great idea.

Back