1959 Sentinel ambulance in Carmel, IN

At first glance it looks beyond salvation, but its actually not terrible if you ignore the rust and that rust hole where the antenna was. Looks like most the trim is there, and the interior, given the outside appearance actually looks decent.

I hope someone with the time and skills for this fixes it up. As long as it doesnt become an ecto.

At first glance it looks beyond salvation, but its actually not terrible if you ignore the rust and that rust hole where the antenna was. Looks like most the trim is there, and the interior, given the outside appearance actually looks decent.

I hope someone with the time and skills for this fixes it up. As long as it doesnt become an ecto.

How can you ignore that much rust! It has obviously been stored in, really wet, indoor storage. The condition of the steering wheel and dash pad tell us that. Only missing 1 original window.

Last edited:
Worthy Project

It will be a great save, for sure, but the 59-early 60s Cadillac ambulances have such odd parts, it can be challenging to find them. The commercial chassis in those years have unique fenders and windshield, which I had to track down when I restored mine in 2004.

Attachments

• XFDambulance.jpg
    XFDambulance.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 293
There is nothing wrong with this ambulance that a nut and bolt restoration couldn't fix, it would be expensive!

Seen worse fixed it. Got just as bad waiting to get to. but is was either inside or covered with a tarp. The surface rust is just that. One more step in refinishing the car. The interier is slavagable. It should clean up and need minor repair to look sharp. All the hard to find trim is there. But of course will need to be redone. Expect to get 5 grand or better in that. The front courner lights are the big question. They are reproducing 59 panels. But only 59 but don't see this car needing one. But me I never liked the looks of a 59 any way and the miller was the ugglest of the lot. For the asking price and the repair cost on this one. You could get 3 70s or 80s cars or at least 5 90s. but you spend your money anyway you want. Me if i had it i would be doing the same as this seller except i would get it running.

Worth Fixing....

If you guys have been watching the prices these cars are realizing at auction you will quickly see that this car is worth saving. Not just for its historical significance but for its monetary value. I hope it doesn't get ectofied.

If you guys have been watching the prices these cars are realizing at auction you will quickly see that this car is worth saving. Not just for its historical significance but for its monetary value. I hope it doesn't get ectofied.

Yeah, 20k for that seems unreal. But I see even at 20k it still says reserve not met

Just for reference:

A '59 Superior hearse in a junkyark in Kansas (not all there, not running, stored outside for years) just sold for $39,000.00 plus buyers premium at auction a couple months ago. Also a restored sentinel like this one recently sold for just under 100k in the midwest.

Worthy Project

It will be a great save, for sure, but the 59-early 60s Cadillac ambulances have such odd parts, it can be challenging to find them. The commercial chassis in those years have unique fenders and windshield, which I had to track down when I restored mine in 2004.

59-60 CC and limos use the same front group as regular caddy. 61-64 CC and 61-65 limos have the unique front groups. 65 CC started using the regular caddy sheet metal again shared with the regular caddy's. In 66 limos started using the regular sheetmetal. Windshields for CC from 59-64 and limos from 59-65 all use the limo windshield , which is a few inches taller which was first use in 59.

Thats why i said if i had it i would be doing just as this man is.he will most likely get around a years wages for both me and Kandy out of it.

indoor storage many years

This ambulance and the '59 Superior Cadillac Crown 3-way hearse were recently purchased from a estate in the mid west. There were at least two other professional cars in the collection as well. You can thank the state of Pennsylvania for the rust on the ambulance. The hearse came from Missouri and later Nebraska so it doesn't share the salt damage.

Attachments

• 59 amb.jpg
    59 amb.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 198
  • 59 2.jpg
    59 2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Back