"Cash for clunkers" question

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
I read that once a dealer takes in a "clunker", he has to pour something into the engine to kill it. Does anyone know what the fluid is and how it can completely immobilize an automobile?

Jim

I work in a dealership, but as I am not involved with that department I am not sure. I have heard that it is some source of silicate mixed in the oil, coolant drained, and the engine run until it's demise.

I imagine the silicate does what sand would do in a engine, but not sure.

Since tomorrow (Saturday) is my once a month weekend day to work, I'll try and find out exactly what is put in and the exact procedure.

Engine killing

You are correct, but did you see the cloud of smoke the car was pouring out?:eek: I'm sure that was much better for the air.

You are correct, but did you see the cloud of smoke the car was pouring out?:eek: I'm sure that was much better for the air.

It is done with governmental blessings, so the pollution that it causes doesn't count. Also, the waste of recyclable parts is also done with a government blessing, so that also doesn't matter. I am very pleased to see all those new foreign owned car companies cranking out many new cars to clog the American highways, and seeing them sending our tax dollars back to their Asian and European countries. Just have to love the thinking and logic of the politicians in Washington... :thumbsdown: :( :mad:

clunkers and bailouts

I think the gov't should have divided the money into smaller shares. Each citizen gets a share to spend however they want. I know I could have helped spur the economy in that way. Paint shops, body shops, more storage, maybe the addition of a couple more pro cars. As it is, I will not give up my old Chevy for a few more miles to the gallon and monthly payments. I keep it tuned up and it gets 24 mpg. The new cars might get more mpg but there is something about not being squeezed into a box to go somewhere. Maybe that's just me. We were parked beside a new Cadillac yesterday. At least the logos said it was a Cadillac. It did not look any bigger than my wife's PT Cruiser.
Mike

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the government OWN a few car companies now? Makes sense that they would stimulate a part of the economy that they have a stake in...

Good article in Smoke Signals

Good article in the July issue of Smoke Signals (Pontiac/Oakland Club's magazine) detailing the downside of this plan. Basically it will very negatively impact the old automotive hobby industry and the thousand's of jobs that are generated.

Finding those elusive parts will become even more difficult!

The plan isn't in Canada yet but given our current PM, it can't be far behind.

Bill

Bill,

One thing to remember is that this does not include classic and antique cars. The cars have to be from 1984 (25 years old or younger) or newer and they have to fit a very specific criteria to be included on the list. My person opinion is that there are very few cars from the 80s and 90s that I would consider collectable, so this really shouldn't impact the collector car scene at all.

I am not going to get into the discussion of wether it is right or wrong, I am just glad that they put a limit on the age.

I have seen one thing that is a definate plus in this cash for clunkers. The fact that so many small cars are moving off the lots, GM Lordstown has announced that starting October 5th, they will be putting their second shift back on to help fill the need for the Chevy Cobalt that is manufactured there. The second shift is about 1,100 people. Since Lordstown is only about 30 minutes from me, this means a lot to our local economy.

Chuck

I got mine!

While I agree there are downsides I jumped at the chance to get more than my car was worth and get into something new. At current gas prices I'm not saving much per month but as gas goes up so does my savings. I also went from having a car that had no warranty and was going to need some work in the near future to a new car. As far as the whole foreign/domestic debate things are so blurred why bother. I own an "american" car that was made in Mexico and a Korean car that was made in Alabama. Add the fact that the dealership that sold me my American car is out of business you can see why I no longer have a hang up about buying "foreign". And think I increased the collectability of the Dodge Durango!;)

I agree with you Scott.

Regardless of the name on the car, there is no "American" made car anymore. Between Honda and Toyota, they have close to 20 manufacturing plants in the USA employing your neighbors and mine. As far as the profits going overseas, what about all of the executives that sit on the boards of GM, Ford and Chrysler that are not from the USA. All their salaries and bonuses end up going back to their countries of origin anyway. We just a CEO step down that was from Switzerland (Or was it Netherlands? Doesn't matter, the end is the same) if I am not mistaken. Where exactly did all of his monies go when he left the "American" car company? I dare you to look at any "American" made car and tell me that every part on that car was made in the USA. Sure they are assembled here and that in inself employs a lot of people, but in the long run, they are not made here, just assembled here.

I agree that this whole thing could have been handled better, but this is the gov't that we are talking about and that in itself should indicate at least a little mismanagement. What I do see as I mentioned before is a boost to the automakers in general and even if it is a small boost, it is something.

Thanks for the clarification Chuck...I wasn't aware of the age limits. I agree that the auto industry needs a boost on both sides of the border and there are tens of thousands of jobs to consider. The hard part is targeting the proper cars to come off the road. Time will tell how well this all works. If you can already see local benefits that's good.

Bill

down side of it all is now a 10 year span of cars have been removed from the market. go downtown and see if you can find your kid a cheap school car tomorrow? new cars sales are up used cars are down and the junk yard now has cars to sell for scrap they did not buy. if we as the people get the cars then we should sell them and off set the cost. but the government will take a loss no matter what they do. now answer me this since you received a gift of money over and above the value of your car do you have to declare it as income?

Back