"Heard you have a '60s Cadillac ambulance for sale?"

Tracked another lead this afternoon. Managed to get the person on the phone. The above title was my initial question after introductions. The following took place~

Sorry, I don't have a '60s Cadillac ambulance. Mine is a '73.

Fair enough. Can you tell me about it - maybe what model for starters?

Uhhh...it's a Cadillac ambulance. I bought it years ago for the motor and transmission. Never got around to doing anything to it. Has a weird two speed rear end that I've not seen in another Cadillac.

Yes, Cadillac supplied chassis from firewall forward, which was then finished by a coach builder. My guess given year is either Superior or Miller Meteor. Either ring a bell?

No. But I guess I can look for some markings.

Okay. Does it have a raised roof? How about condition?

Well, it has typical rust-belt issues but is restorable. It has a tall roof and a single barn door on the back.

Sounds like a normal rear door. Does the roof have any of the original emergency lighting present?

Yes. I think it is all there - but don't quote me on that.

How's the glass? Any pieces broken or missing?

Boy that windshield sure is tall! All the glass is good but it doesn't have much.

Oh? Why is that?

You can only get in on one side.

I'm not an ambulance guy yet that line sent ripples. Someone please tell me that the prototype Criterion already exists; that this just can't be; that the year must be mistaken. When things are too good to be true...they usually are.

Pouring rain where the ambulance sits. I'll have pictures when it lets up. Speculation has officially commenced!

"The prototype Criterion saw many years of service with Capital City Ambulance Service of Des Moines, Iowa, before being sold to PCS member Ken Elliott of Orlando, Florida. Regrettably this magnificent ambulance had become so rusty it was beyond restoration. Consequently, it was the "victim" of a fire department extrication drill."

'73 Superior 54" Ambulance: ex-Juniata Valley, PA

73sup1c.jpg

Glass (including windshield) alone is worth more than asking price.

'73 Superior 54" Ambulance: ex-Juniata Valley, PA

Glass (including windshield) alone is worth more than asking price.

Most times the windshield will not come out without being broken, unless the windshield opening is so badly rusted, that there is nothing holding it in. Personally, I never deal with old windshields because the glass is usually brittle, and cracks easily.

I have two up in the attic I'll give to anyone that wants to stop in and get it.
but it does look to be a salvageable car. depending on what left of the inside.
better get it soon or the weed whip will kill you just getting out to it. that stuff is tall all ready.

Most times the windshield will not come out without being broken, unless the windshield opening is so badly rusted, that there is nothing holding it in. Personally, I never deal with old windshields because the glass is usually brittle, and cracks easily.
Yep, one wrong slip of the hand, and crack there she goes. I've broke my fare share of them, enough that I've got pretty good at taking them out now without breaking or cracking them. It only took breaking and cracking a few before I got the hang of it.:poster_oops::bonk:

Deffinently looks worth saving, wouldn't mind having it myself if I had the room.

Josh

Two alternators, windshields, or ? in the attic Ed?

Alternator and medical cabinet are missing. Calling tomorrow to get a price on the '72 Superior 54 parts car I found in a junkyard last month.

99% the Superior posted will head to a new owner in Virginia already.

windshields for the 71-76 pro car. every car that came in here went out with it alternate still on it. glass now that was different. if you take your time getting one out that has not been urethane in is easy enough. just never bet on it.

Price is $900 firm. The first person responding to this thread with "I'll take it." receives the PA owner's contact information. Then if wanted, I'll turn over the lead for the missing cabinet in VA (still not priced).

Back