Rim width wheel for 58 Cadillac commercial chassis?

Dies anyone know if a wheel for a '58 COmmercial Chassis is different from a regular GM wheel of that vintage?

The tires are bigger 265/75 x 15 vs a 235/75 x 15. Is the rim wider? Side-by-side the tires are a lot different in diameter.

Another question.

My car has disk brakes up front and the wheel offset is different to clear them. Tire shop when checking reversed the front and rear wheels and the rear wheels won't work on the front. They hit the calipers, just slightly. I think a spacer of about 1/8" to 1/4" or less would compensate.

Anyone have experience here?

Bottom line is that I don't have a spare and would like to get a proper wheel. I do have some spare wheels for my 1959 and guess they would work (??)

So offset and rim width are the questions.

The correct commercial chassis rims and passenger car rims are the same width for your '58. Are you sure that your rims are the original rims? Cadillac used the same commercial chassis rims from '57 through '60. If you have a photo of one of your rims, I can tell you if they are correct. If your rims are original, all 4 will be identical.

The correct commercial chassis rims and passenger car rims are the same width for your '58. Are you sure that your rims are the original rims? Cadillac used the same commercial chassis rims from '57 through '60. If you have a photo of one of your rims, I can tell you if they are correct. If your rims are original, all 4 will be identical.

Can I send photos of the wheels while they are on the car? I'd pull the wheel covers of course,

Or do I need to dismount them?

Yes, just a close-up photo of the rims on the car. If you have 2 different rims, take a photo of both.

get with Todd he has had this same problem. the nut shell is that it takes a disk wheel for the front brakes. the good news the same disk wheel will fit on the rear. the 58 uses the same bolt pattern as all the large GM cars. so if your set on CC wheels you need a set off the 68 up. your hub caps will go on them.

I was real on my offer to buy the old tires off it if you don't want them. just pm me

With the disc brake conversion that I did on my car, I had to us a later model truck wheel to fit on the disc. On the commercial wheel there is a little radius more to the disc that hits. I tried to grind a little off of the caliper, no such luck. I have not been a big fan of using spacers, especially with the weight of these cars.

With the disc brake conversion that I did on my car, I had to us a later model truck wheel to fit on the disc. On the commercial wheel there is a little radius more to the disc that hits. I tried to grind a little off of the caliper, no such luck. I have not been a big fan of using spacers, especially with the weight of these cars.

How different are the heavy duty rims as opposed to the regular rims? Thicker? Wider rim?

I gotta go pull the hubcaps and shoot off some pictures. See what I have here. The front wheels will fit on the rear, but not the rear on the front. So I must have two different kinds of wheels.

Been busy. Replaced the ten year old electronic ignition (it was failing) with a new Pertronix Ignitor III and Flame-thrower coil. Also rebuilt the carburetor. Really runs great now! Starts easy. Have not yet been out on the road yet with the new rebuild.

My excuse for not yet having pulled the hubcaps.

Commercial chassis rims are the exact same width as the standard passenger car rims. Commercial chassis rims are riveted, passenger rims are welded. Commercial chassis rims weigh about 5 lbs more than the passenger car rims, as I recall.

thanks, Rocky don't know were my head was that night. do you remember what year pickup you found that worked? the offset was most likely the reason the CC rime hit or was the rim just smaller on the back side? if things are working today the 71 to about 89 1/2 ton 5 hole would be the ones you would want. they would be a heaver rim then the standard car. one just needs to remember to get 5 alike so you don't mix them. from the talk I'm sure Kurt has hit the nail on the head on the CC rims they are made with thicker steel. but just for curiosity did you try a standard wheel on those disks?

thanks, Rocky don't know were my head was that night. do you remember what year pickup you found that worked? the offset was most likely the reason the CC rime hit or was the rim just smaller on the back side? if things are working today the 71 to about 89 1/2 ton 5 hole would be the ones you would want. they would be a heaver rim then the standard car. one just needs to remember to get 5 alike so you don't mix them. from the talk I'm sure Kurt has hit the nail on the head on the CC rims they are made with thicker steel. but just for curiosity did you try a standard wheel on those disks?

The rim was smaller on the back side "or inside". You hit the right years on the rims. gm truck 5 bolt rims fit great. That is what I have bolted up on the front. I was given a vented pair of rims that im putting on the rear. Two different types. But once I have the hub caps on no one will be the wiser.

Im putting on a set of 57 caps, I know kind of a cop out, but oh well. The 58 rims are about 1/4 wider on the lips, so the tabs of the 58 will not hit the rim edge the caps are too wide. Could weld them to a trim ring that fits the newer rims then put them on. I figured that most of the general public will not know the difference of the 57 to 58. And I think they are still great looking caps.

them caddy caps want to cover the outer rim of the wheel. I take it the truck wheels were to far out or in to clear the rear wheel house ?

The truck wheels would of worked fine on the rear also. Only reason I used two different is both pairs of them I got were new and like new and the price on them was "free" so I figured I would use both pairs. Sometimes if its free it for me!

Back