The Rim Reaper - 1953 Pontiac Hearse by Barnette

Now I understand why you wanted to remove the oil filter. I would remove the oil filter and plate, and reinstall a fuel pump in its place. The fuel pump for that car also incorporates a vacuum pump to operate the windshield wiper.

strange going on this one. I can't say for sure Bill Levett over in BC has the only other 53 Barnette that I know of as the crushed the one in French lake. you can ask him what his gas tank looks like. I'm under the impression the day we looked at his that he said the spare tire well was in his and the floor was just run over it. with no access to it. the tank I pictured is the factory tank. they were subject to backing into things as they hung down under the bumper. so yours has been changed from the factory one who did it,who knows. I take it it still fills from the left side?

the fuel pump would be here. it looks like they pulled the plug from the end of the camshaft oil gallery and got the pressure side from there then dumped it back into a plate were the fuel pump was. it would just drain into the pan from there.

I was interesting in a few focused points trying to determine if my was a Barnette of not when we stopped in. so I took those shots and a few random ones. now here is the only engine room shot of Bill's 53. if you look lower left you can see what looks like a electric fuel pump. it not clear just a passing shot of the carburetor on his's. that may have been a Barnette thing. they tended to vapor lock on a hot day and the electric pump would over come this. mine had one added in the center of the car along the frame rail.

Attachments

• IMG_2716a.jpg
    IMG_2716a.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_7851a.jpg
    IMG_7851a.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 113
His tank looks like mine on my 48 Chevrolet National. Mine looks like they took a sledge hammer to the trunk area and or where the spare tire went and made room for the tank that looks like yours. That wire on there is probably the sending unit that John mentioned earlier. I would say it has the mechanical pump on the block.

Alright, strange going it is...

It appears the vacuum line for the wipers bypasses and loops right back around and straight into the exhaust manifold...

This picture shows how the configuration goes to where the original fuel pump was, it then runs back to being right next door to where it started. That 6" rubber hose is apparently doing what the fuel pump once did...

Also, the fuel line, where it is disconnected near the driver door for a Jerry can, is missing roughly 6" of line. As far as I can see, I will be in need of a fuel pump. Time to take down the tank, can I just unplug the sending unit from the fuel tank?

Attachments

• 20150328_162659.jpg
    20150328_162659.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 94
Sending unit will either unplug from the sending unit, or it will have a small nut on a stud with the wire captured in a loop connection. There might also be a ground wire going to the from from the sending unit to the chassis.

I found a spot in the wire that was electrical taped, I started unraveling the tape and noticed a spot right beside that was already half broken, so it made it a bit easier to just cut it.

I had to cut the rubber hose off that connected the gas tank to the filling spout, it was super tight, too bad, because it was still in good condition.

After about an hour of turning, I got the nuts off 2 of the bolts holding the tank up, and worked it's way out. The lip of the tank got held up on the bolts trying to get it out, will have to bend out the brackets that hold them in order to get it back in, or more likely free up the bolts if they are just rusted into the brackets.

Here is a good view of the tank.

Attachments

• 20150331_184002.jpg
    20150331_184002.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 84
Sorry, pics...

Attachments

• 20150331_184447.jpg
    20150331_184447.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150331_184813.jpg
    20150331_184813.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20150331_184726.jpg
    20150331_184726.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20150331_185012.jpg
    20150331_185012.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 81
the cork float would be old enough for it to be a original tank. you can see where they soldered the filler neck on it and turned it up to catch the hose coming down.

the line for the vacuum wiper would be going into the intake for vacuum. there is a vacuum advance on the disturber also. so there has to be a fuel pump on the car. if it not on the right front inner fender like the one in Bill's then it's in line somewhere between the carb and the tank. there is nothing you have pictured that will move fuel.

is this one a straight Hearse or does it have jump seats in the back?

they taped that oil pressure line off the end of the oil pump. so one can safely plug it. if when you turn the key on you can't here that electric pump running it's frozen. now they do have them for sale again in 6 volts if you want to stay that way. you could cap off the return line were it goes back into the block or just leave it like it is.

Last edited:
My '53

I'll post some pictures over the weekend of my '53.

The mechanical fuel pump is still on the block but bypassed. The electric fuel pump is indeed a remedy for the issues with vapour lock. My car served in the South Okanagan where the summer temperatures can easily get over 100 F.

Nice to see another Pontiac/Barnettte being dicussed.

I think I will just leave the oil filter on if it doesn't cause oil pressure issues.

When I got the valve unstuck I filled the engine with the first oil I will run through it. Then I spun the fan only a few times without thinking and had oil pumping out of the hose for the oil filter, so I reconnected it.

Is it okay to use the sending unit as it is with minor cleaning?

The gas tank looks really clean, so I will attempt to get the varnish out with acetone and I think that should be good enough. I didn't quite notice if it was runny or gummy, but as the cork is still moist, I think it shouldn't be too bad.

I will look again tomorrow for the fuel pump, and take an array of pictures along the fuel line. I think the pump is missing.

Still waiting for my gasket kit, damn weekend makes me feel like I've been waiting forever.

Oh and almost forgot, it is a straight hearse, no seat.

I am strongly considering removing the floor and putting in some sort of passenger seats, but not entirely sure of it yet, or if it is even feasible. I had so many different ideas of how to change this car when I was a teen, but at this point I like it in its current state of beauty.

That is interesting to hear Bill, mine served what I think we're it's final service years in Port Alberny, BC. I am excited to see some of your pictures, more for me to compare off.

I am strongly considering removing the floor and putting in some sort of passenger seats, but not entirely sure of it yet, or if it is even feasible. I had so many different ideas of how to change this car when I was a teen, but at this point I like it in its current state of beauty.

know you know why it took so long for you to get your hands on it. with only 1500 of these made in 53 and it being the last year for the sedan delivery for pontiac it is surprising how many of them are still around. you divide that number with with the 6 known aftermarket builders and you see why there are so few stock ones left. I only know of one other straight hears by Barnette it went some were in a divorce sale and I have pictures of a Acmie. most of these were put out as combos as it was the most practical rig for a small home to have.

If it were me, I would take the tank down to a shop to have it boiled out. This will clean inside and out, and makes sure you don't have some small pin holes starting. It usually doesn't cost much and since its already out, one less thing to worry about later. Keep the pictures coming, I'm enjoying seeing work done on this type of car.

Here are a couple views inside the tank.

I am not certain it needs to be boiled out, but I will let you guys influence my decision.

Attachments

• 20150331_185422.jpg
    20150331_185422.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 130
  • 20150331_190315.jpg
    20150331_190315.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 128
looks good on there. find the low spot and just tap around on it a bit if there are any pin poles they will open up. struggled with one out of a 58 caddy all after noon on summer day. just before loaded it I pulled the sending unit and held it up to the sun. it looked like a star map in there.

as for infor I played around a lot of the pontic sites and ask a few questions the numbers are out there. as for total production. one will never know how many were converted but the players at the time doing it Were Economy they also did them for Meteor. Barnette, Acmie, National, JC Little and Armbruster. shure memphis coach did them also they liked the pon as it had all the trim and you could get it with a automatic if that was wanted. they were a simple split and add to do. not near as much work as the station wagon the had to do in 54 when the sedan delivery was no longer around. Acmie just stopped in 53 doing conversions. and they folded right after that

Okay so if I just clean it with acetone or vinegar and then rinse well and dry it should be okay? Besides if course checking for pinholes?

I still haven't checked whether it is liquid or hardened varnish, I am assuming it is still fairly viscous judging by the moisture of the cork.

My gasket kit won't be arriving for another 6-15 days, so I will focus attention on the fuel system for awhile.

the tank is not rusty looking so any of the above or a little thinner. a gt of laguer would do it. no since in going to something like a acid as you're not cleaning out rust.
blow the fuel line out, carburetor to tank. change that filter they put in line just off the tank. then figure out how they got the fuel from the tank to the carb and how you are going to do it. if you put gas back in the tank make sure it's not a alcohol blend. those don't store will in something your not driving. but if you have a place near you that can put the tank in a cleaning solution. that is best as long as they don't want the price of a new car to do it.

Back