Electrical Help in MO

My 1990 Federal Coach has a light green wire for the back up light that is burned from the light all the way to the front. The wire got so hot it melted part of the fuse block under the dash.

The vehicle's Auto Leveling, door locks and courtesy lights now don't work as well.

I'm not going to try to fix it myself; I know this is beyond me. So, I'm looking for a mechanic and the local shops don't want to work on it.

Can anyone recommend a shop, hopefully in St. Louis or Kansas City, that can repair this for me?

Thanks

It would probably be wise to call Federal and let them know about the problem. If your car has an electrical problem this serious, then others might also. If the wire burned from the back to the front, and melted the fuse block, then it wasn't properly fused, which is a manufacturing defect. There is a possibility that they have a local dealer that would fix this for you, and also report back to the factory in case this should develop into a safety recall situation.

Thanks for the advice, Paul.
According to their website, the closest Federal dealer is in Dallas (about 600 miles away.) I'll get in touch with them; maybe they can recommend someone a little closer who can take a look at my wiring.
You're right, it does sound like the circuit wasn't properly fused. I'm still amazed and dismayed that the entire length of wiring was affected.

Another thought, if the repair is going to be expensive, you can check with your insurance company if you have comprehensive insurance on the vehicle. Melted wiring is a fire claim. It doesn't have to be burned to a crisp to be considered. The damage might be more extensive than you realize.

Hate to rain on the parade but electrical problems, most especially in a newer model vehicle is grounds in my book for the car to go bye, bye! With all the electronic components in the 1980's and newer stuff there could be more problems than meet the eye.:flame1:

Back