Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

           

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 06-14-2017, 09:34 PM
John ED Renstrom's Avatar
John ED Renstrom John ED Renstrom is offline
PCS Elected Director
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hot Springs SD 57747
Posts: 10,282
Thanks: 3,520
Thanked 13,241 Times in 5,586 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

don't mix you metals. the left one can be easily restored to like new. a little sanding with progressively fine sand paper and buff. spray the letter black and wipe off the excess with reducer. the a hand buff to remove any left over paint. a coat of clear to seal it all . you have a extra either way to add to a picture for your wall
__________________
drop in for coffee anytime
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 PM
Tim Prieur's Avatar
Tim Prieur Tim Prieur is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 517
Thanks: 1,229
Thanked 1,115 Times in 428 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

My vote, keep the original with the car.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 PM
Nicholas Studer's Avatar
Nicholas Studer Nicholas Studer is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio TX 72812
Posts: 300
Thanks: 220
Thanked 725 Times in 189 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
Nick,

Where was this plaque mounted in the ambulance?
IN? Inside would be boring. The fine citizens of Rhinecliff thought it suitable to drill into the side of the ambulance's custom steel roof (sliced off a deadlined Sedan Delivery of some vintage, mind you...) under the side marker lights. When I got the car, there was just empty screw-holes there - learned from the current Fire Chief of Rhinecliff shortly after buying it from Paul that there used to be a dedication plaque there. Random posts on Facebook seem to indicate that was one of the memorable things on the car. I put some steel screws in the holes to close them up to the elements. Photo below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
don't mix you metals. the left one can be easily restored to like new. a little sanding with progressively fine sand paper and buff. spray the letter black and wipe off the excess with reducer. the a hand buff to remove any left over paint. a coat of clear to seal it all . you have a extra either way to add to a picture for your wall
No matter what I do - I'll be mixing metals between the plaque, fasteners, and steel roof. My choices are: 1. Use steel/stainless screws and thereby risk galvanic corrosion between the plate and fasteners. 2. Use brass screws and risk corrosion between the steel roof and fasteners. Luckily, brass is fairly mid-range to somewhat noble - but the roof is an unknown steel. Considering the screws would be deep in an oxygen/moisture-poor hole - I think the latter is probably safer. It'll look better besides. No one seems to remember the fastener type.

The one on the left is in decent shape - and the shop already filled the letters to like new condition. Planned to give it a quick buff and pondered clear-coating. The extra is out of paranoia for souvenir-hunters in circumstances when the car is left alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Prieur View Post
My vote, keep the original with the car.
I think that's what I'm inclined to do. It looks decent besides - not new, but decent like it's approaching 55 years old...
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Nicholas Studer; 06-14-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 06-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Paul Steinberg Paul Steinberg is offline
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Woodstock CT 06281
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 5,936
Thanked 10,932 Times in 3,527 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Studer View Post
Years later, the long-missing dedication plaque to this ambulance re-appeared! During a downsizing move, a previous owner discovered it in a box in the garage and generously reached out to me. I suppose persistance paid off - this car now has basically all of its major original features! The permanently attached ones at least!
I always felt that he had the plaque, and I am happy to know that it has been reunited with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Studer View Post
This ambulance was purchased on 12 January 1963 for a cost of $10,492 from Community Garage of Rhinebeck, Inc., the local Chrysler dealership. At the time of bid review - that included Superior and Eureka - the ambulance fund had $11,069. Of this, $8000 was a donation from Mrs. Astor. Mr. Allen Ryan donated $500, leaving just $2569 raised in over 3 years of "grassroots" fundraising efforts for the ambulance.

I had a copy made of the plaque by a local monuments/trophy company - just in case! They also refilled the original's lettering that had flaked out. The original is on the left, the new one on the right. They got pretty close and the price was extremely reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Studer View Post
Which do you think should go on the car? It's more obvious in person - but the new one is a much richer brass without surface scratches. However, it of course is not the original! I am also concerned for galvanic corrosion, and not sure whether to use brass or regular/stainless steel screws in the original holes on the side of the car's roof.
The original screws were brass, and I removed them because they would snag the towel when I dried the car after washing. They were in a medicine bottle in the glove compartment, and if you don't have them, then they might be somewhere in the garage, but I have no idea where. One more thing to keep looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 06-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Paul Steinberg Paul Steinberg is offline
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Woodstock CT 06281
Posts: 5,945
Thanks: 5,936
Thanked 10,932 Times in 3,527 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Studer View Post
IN? Inside would be boring. The fine citizens of Rhinecliff thought it suitable to drill into the side of the ambulance's custom steel roof (sliced off a deadlined Sedan Delivery of some vintage, mind you...) under the side marker lights. When I got the car, there was just empty screw-holes there - learned from the current Fire Chief of Rhinecliff shortly after buying it from Paul that there used to be a dedication plaque there. Random posts on Facebook seem to indicate that was one of the memorable things on the car. I put some steel screws in the holes to close them up to the elements. Photo below.
According to Jack Pinner, the roof was hand made in the Pinner shop by their metal workers, just like the rear door. Jack also told me that they salvaged sedan delivery rear doors, but that was in the mid 1950's, when they were starting up, and they used them for the hearses. The back door on your car was custom made for the car, and the only thing that might have come from a sedan delivery are the rear door hinges. Back in that time period, all the body builders were masters at re-purposing parts from production cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Studer View Post
The one on the left is in decent shape - and the shop already filled the letters to like new condition. Planned to give it a quick buff and pondered clear-coating. The extra is out of paranoia for souvenir-hunters in circumstances when the car is left alone...

I think that's what I'm inclined to do. It looks decent besides - not new, but decent like it's approaching 55 years old...
The souvenir-hunter doesn't live anywhere near you, and lucky for you, has been willing to reunite some of the purloined items back with the car. To keep the record clear, I am not the souvenir-hunter, but the cars 3rd owner, and Nick is the fourth owner.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 06-15-2017, 10:40 AM
John ED Renstrom's Avatar
John ED Renstrom John ED Renstrom is offline
PCS Elected Director
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hot Springs SD 57747
Posts: 10,282
Thanks: 3,520
Thanked 13,241 Times in 5,586 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

The plack normally come with brass screws. So it stands to reason that is what it was put on with. The best way to minimize the electrolises is with a drop of anti seaze past in the screw holes. But your holding the original plack how bad was it.
__________________
drop in for coffee anytime
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 06-16-2017, 01:06 AM
Nicholas Studer's Avatar
Nicholas Studer Nicholas Studer is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio TX 72812
Posts: 300
Thanks: 220
Thanked 725 Times in 189 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
I always felt that he had the plaque, and I am happy to know that it has been reunited with the car. The original screws were brass, and I removed them because they would snag the towel when I dried the car after washing. They were in a medicine bottle in the glove compartment, and if you don't have them, then they might be somewhere in the garage, but I have no idea where. One more thing to keep looking for.
Nope - not here! But, the local True Value had some suitable replacements amongst its massive selection of fasteners that will do until another "Eureka!" moment in your garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
According to Jack Pinner, the roof was hand made in the Pinner shop by their metal workers, just like the rear door. Jack also told me that they salvaged sedan delivery rear doors, but that was in the mid 1950's, when they were starting up, and they used them for the hearses. The back door on your car was custom made for the car, and the only thing that might have come from a sedan delivery are the rear door hinges. Back in that time period, all the body builders were masters at re-purposing parts from production cars.
I can only say what Jack told me at the 2015 International Meet in Houston, TX. He indicated that most of the roofs were modified from sedan delivery vehicles, and that there must've been nothing but roofless sedan deliveries for a hundred miles around Memphis. I don't know how long that went on - but Jack seemed to believe this car was one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
The souvenir-hunter doesn't live anywhere near you, and lucky for you, has been willing to reunite some of the purloined items back with the car. To keep the record clear, I am not the souvenir-hunter, but the cars 3rd owner, and Nick is the fourth owner.
I don't suspect the second owner kept it intentionally. From what I gather, he pulled them off for concerns similar to mine when it was turned in to a shop for some rust repair.

My concern is at shows, travel, and the like. I brought this vehicle once downtown for some fire prevention display, and a gentleman actually hopped in the back within 5 minutes of me pulling up! Next time, we're getting some cones/rope! I am glad to have a spare of something that I didn't even know what it looked like before! The Mrs. seems to believe the more likely object of attention would be the Dutchess Co First Aid sign on the bumper though. No spare of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
The plack normally come with brass screws. So it stands to reason that is what it was put on with. The best way to minimize the electrolises is with a drop of anti seaze past in the screw holes. But your holding the original plack how bad was it.
Yup - planning on some anti-seize in the holes. It's honestly not too bad on the plaque. Just cleaning up that area now.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2016 Friends of the Professional Car Society