Federal 66L

James Fischer

PCS Member
Looking for a Federal 66L,for the 70 Superior....if anyone has one or has any leads I would appreciate it......:)

Does not have to be mint or a show piece just complete and working.......:)

Thank you in advance !!!:thumbsup:

Finding a 66-L won't be too difficult; finding the correct Superior mounting bracket (used from '65-'70) may present a challenge.

Steve.. can you describe, or better yet, post a picture of the correct mounting bracket?

Finding a 66-L won't be too difficult; finding the correct Superior mounting bracket (used from '65-'70) may present a challenge.

This was a two-piece bracket with a through bolt that allowed the siren (or speakers) to be adjusted to a horizontal position on a curved roof. The bracket attached to the roof with two bolts.

I'm not near home and any brochures, so maybe someone else that is can share better photos from the options page in a Superior brochure from this period. For now, here are a few photos taken from this site:

Attachments

• superior 69.jpg
    superior 69.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 175
  • superior 70 2.jpg
    superior 70 2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 167
  • superior 70.jpg
    superior 70.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 173
  • superior pontiac 2.jpg
    superior pontiac 2.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 175
  • superior pontiac.jpg
    superior pontiac.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 174
Than for the explanation.. I think that I have one in the garage, but didn't know what it is. Will post a picture when I find it..

Steve,

What would be the differance between a 66L and a 66 Junior Long Roll ??
the siren,not the mounting bracket ??

Thank you !
Jim

What would be the differance between a 66L and a 66 Junior Long Roll ?? the siren,not the mounting bracket ??

Federal Class 60 sirens had a 6" rotor and were direct drive (didn't coast), so there was no need for a brake. Here's the 1970 lineup:

28 - painted, two-hole mount (for concealed mounting)
66-G - same siren, but with a 3-piece chrome housing and (chrome) 4-hole chrome mount
66-L - same as 66-G, but with a sealed beam light in front

67 - same as 66-L, but with a Solar Ray light in front

280-P - same as a 28, but with a Pulsator attachment
660-P - same as a 66-G, but with a Pulsator attachment

An "H" in any one of these model numbers denotes a high-pitch tone
"R" means it has a light on the rear
"D" means it's demountable

Thank you,Paul !

Eagerly awaiting the resulting picture from your expedition into the dark abyss (your garage) !!!! :)

Who have you been talking to??? :eek: there are things in there that haven't seen the light of day in 30+ years! :) Every year, Sandy asks me to clean it out, but we both know that she is just :beatdeadhorse5:

I do have a C5BR that was restored by John Dorgan that was going to go on my 1978 Superior Cadillac, but the plans changed, and I still have the siren if you are interested...

Does anyone have a picture to share of a Federal 66L siren mount for a SUPERIOR '65-'70 ??
Was talking to a siren collector this morning at a gas station..he told me he has a bunch of misc mounts,siren parts but he does not know what the mount looks like without a picture.....sooooo any help appreciated !:)

Also what siren/light combination can I use on the 70 that does NOT require a specific mount,if I am unable to locate above ??

Last edited:
so then is this the one you need. not a vary good picture but all I have

Attachments

• federal #66 g.jpg
    federal #66 g.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 65
Back