need help

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
we are trying to hook up the gas tank in this 58 project. as it doesn't have a return line we only need the main line. GM built these tanks with a female flare recessed into the tank. this new one is faithfully reproduction of it. we were able to get the old slug out of the bad tank but it's been damaged by over tighten it. that's there fix for the dripping line. lots of solder and brass. we would like to avoid doing that. any one have a source for this double male spacers? or are they slugs? my locale source is unaware of any thing out there.

Attachments

• Untitled-Stitched-01tank old.jpg
    Untitled-Stitched-01tank old.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 154
  • tank fetting.jpg
    tank fetting.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 150
  • sealing spacer.jpg
    sealing spacer.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 153
to thin, to short. this one has been over tighten, and it has a imprint crushed into it. witch will leak around the flare. I did find out they are 45 deg angles. the flare in the tank is deep enough that nothing on the market will go down to lock it into the tank. a call to the vendor and I they knew of the trouble but had no source for the spacer. I'm going to try to modify a male to male coupler. right now that's all I can think of. I'm not of the mind set to weld on the new tank and if you don't get the inside tube seated in the welded on housing it could suck air. but just maybe I can grind the threads off the mail coupler and slide it into the space. we need to solve this problem as every CC tank up to 70 uses this set up.

I had the same problem on a tank. I made a bubble flare on the end of the line same flare end as imports use,kind of reverse of how we do it.

man that would be a long bubble. I was able to get things together with a male flair to pipe fitting and a female pipe to flair. the whole story is here
http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747#date/2014-06-13/12:43:59

but we had to do a lot of meatball machining. good man with a lathe could get one turned out easy enough. ended up with a device that looked like this before I could get something to seat agents the inner flair.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 69
Back