Washington single-level Cot (Model 21) and cot bar

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
Somewhere along the line, my 1961 Eureka-Cadillac Hi-Boy was stripped of its cot bar and cot. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18181

From talking with one of the previous departments that operated it, it had a single-level cot when it arrived to NM. (Later on, holes were drilled in the floor for a hold-down bracket and it carried a one-man cot of some kind). Based upon the 1961 year of manufacture and the Eureka Co's partnership with Washington Mortuary, the most logical answer is a Washington Model 21.

If anyone's got a lead on a Model 21 (Washington preferred) and/or a Washington cot bar - please let me know. Let it be know that I have a very nice 1963-vintage Ferno Model 32 "low-headroom" X-frame cot I could potentially trade.

Thanks! :)

one could use any one of the Washington cots in it as those were up to the service, all of them fastened with the side bare. but this is the combination you were asking about that goes into the 58 here. Dan sent us the bar for it, I had the cot here. just to compare here is the ferno 21 and the Washington 21 side by side. you can mount the Washington with ferno hardware as the spacing is the same but the Washington bar is distinctive.

Attachments

• IMG_0476a.jpg
    IMG_0476a.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 454
  • washington #21 ferno #21.jpg
    washington #21 ferno #21.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 536
Yes Ed - that's indeed what I was talking about. Surely, it could've been a Model 52 or 54 two-level, maybe even a Model 25 "One-man," but I am told it was a single level. I'd prefer a Washington - but surely wouldn't turn down a Ferno Model 21 if one appeared.

If you end up finding any - keep me in mind. Thanks! :)

Your car may have ended up in NM with a single level cot, but I'll bet it was delivered with a #54.

Just my $.02...

Your car may have ended up in NM with a single level cot, but I'll bet it was delivered with a #54.

Just my $.02...

Could be! But the 1963 GMC Rescue had a Model 54 as expertly identified, and no luck as yet on finding one. If one turns up of either model - I'd be happy either way. :)

Many thanks to Jeremy Ledford - we worked out an arrangement for the Washington Model 21 pictured at http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=22423&postcount=2 . It'll look great in the car!

Well - once it has a cot bar! Close review of the factory photos indicates the cot bar isn't the older type with the odd knob at the end. It's similar to any standard curved-end Ferno-Washington bar with cylindrical release, but I do note the slide-in mounts appear to be bulkier. Also need the mounts for the wall. Any leads appreciated.

Back