Anyone using these tires ?

Jeremy

I looked through that site yesterday.
Lots of Dealers all over and many in Niagara Fall area, close to me.

Looks like I will get a couple sets of these for friends.

I ordered another set of the Diamond Backs for my other 62 so they match
and a spare for seach car too.

Alpha Dean's would be half the price of Diamond Backs.

Thanks again for the info.

Darren

I put Runway 75's on a few cars and had good luck with them. They come in 215/225 or 235. The white wall is 1.25, not as wide as the 1.6 but they are half the price too. I also have a set of American Classics on my 83 S&S, they look and ride good. Never had a problem with any of them.

I ran the Runway Enduro whitewalls too, they held up great & are now on Chief Ron's former '77 Soverign. They handle a load & are very affordable. Here's what they look like for reference:
3536681303_39be362978.jpg

3537495868_37731887a1_b.jpg

tire brand

My Diamond Back wide whites are on the 61 M-M. They now have about 1500miles on them. They are Fury II tires. If I remember correctly Diamond Back told me they were built by Cooper. These are very good on the road. No noise. They seem to stick to the road wet or dry and that is always good. I am well pleased with them. They also are rated for extra load as compared to other 235x75Rx15 tires. The 3 inch white walls are easy to clean and seem to stay cleans and bright white longer than other white walls I have had.
No cleaners containing bleach for Diamond Back tires. They say to use 409, or Simple Green for cleaning.
Mike

:clap:

I thought I'd revisit this old thread as I now have two years worth of experience with the Runway Enduro tires mentioned here. Overall, I'm going to have to give them a grade of D- .

I have no complaints about the tire's abilities. They hold the weight of a hearse well, and even though the car they're on has only been to and from car events over the past two years, there's no noticeable wear on them.

But the whitewalls over time are horrible! And let's be honest, the only reason someone would buy these tires are for the whitewall. When the tires were newly installed on my car, I was beyond pleased. I thought I had found a tire for my entire fleet. Now I'm so very glad I didn't go hog wild and actually do that.

Within six months the whitewalls started browning, and only serious scrubbing with abrasives got them white again. But then it would only be a matter of a couple weeks before they were brown again. Now, after two years, they are permanently brown. I have given up trying to get them white any more. Its a losing battle. It seems to be an internal issue with the tire itself between the black and the white, because they really never get dirty just going to car shows, and no matter how much time I spend, what I use, or how much scrubbing, they are just permanently stained brown now.

I almost can't wait until I wear them out so I can get something else, but since I've only put about 1000 miles on them in two years, that's going to be a long wait. I wonder if anyone still makes whitewall paint.

It is getting hard to find whitewall tires (or even blackwall, non-truck tires) in the sizes typical for larger cars which were common in the 1970s. Lots of the Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow owners are recommending the Khumo and they seem to work out, and they are not expensive at all. The Shadow is a heavy car and the tire is rated high enough for the weight. Tires with heavier construction seem to last longer and make a heavy car handle csome better (handling? my car did not come with that...)
There is a Hankook whitewall as well, and I have seen some Firestones and some of those you have already mentioned. The manufacturers have specs available on line which list the load rating and overall diameter for each size.
Alas, it looks like soon we will have to buy the often expensive collector-car tires to avoid using truck tires.
As for cleaning whitewalls, you can use Scotchbrite or fine wet-dry sandpaper to really get them glowing. The sun messes up the outer layer and yellows it, and the abrasive removes this.

I had a set of Coker Classics on my '54 hearse as part of its original restoration. They were purported to be able to handle the extra weight of the hearse but it turns out they weren't. THREE of them separated the treads at different times while on the road. I still have the 4th one which is the lucky survivor. Therefore I would not recommend these for a hearse.

As on the '60 Eureka I put a set of bias ply Cokers on the '54 and so far have had much better luck. True, they don't drive as smoothly as radials but they sit the correct height and look really good. It doesn't take too much to get used to the handling characteristics. I can't be sure, but I'm almost positive this picture shows the bias plys on the car. Tom

Attachments

• DSC_0149.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 177
I found a set through my tire guy and to compensate for ambulance service I went to a LT 235/75R 15. They have available 1 1/2" - 3" wide white walls. They are made by GoodYear and are an all season radial 8 ply. They were $1531.00 for all five deliver to my door.

I need a few sets of new tires for my hearses. Both my 1962's could use new tires. One still has the bias ply tires it came with. The other has radials and rides much nicer. Safer over bumps in the road for sure.

It seams harder to find P235/75/R15 radial tires with a 1.6" whitewall these days. Easier to find a 2-3" whitewall but are not correct for a '60s Cadillac.

Firestone use to make an extra load tire and so did Michelin. Both have discontinued them.

I have found Lucas Tires in Springfield OH and Coker Tire both sell the
American Classic for 134.00 each.

I was wondering if anyone has these on their hearse or has any experience with them.

If you have any recommendations for tires, please let me know.

All info regarding tires would be helpful.

Thanks !
Darren

It is getting hard to find whitewall tires (or even blackwall, non-truck tires) in the sizes typical for larger cars which were common in the 1970s. Lots of the Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow owners are recommending the Khumo and they seem to work out, and they are not expensive at all. The Shadow is a heavy car and the tire is rated high enough for the weight. Tires with heavier construction seem to last longer and make a heavy car handle csome better (handling? my car did not come with that...)
There is a Hankook whitewall as well, and I have seen some Firestones and some of those you have already mentioned. The manufacturers have specs available on line which list the load rating and overall diameter for each size.
Alas, it looks like soon we will have to buy the often expensive collector-car tires to avoid using truck tires.
As for cleaning whitewalls, you can use Scotchbrite or fine wet-dry sandpaper to really get them glowing. The sun messes up the outer layer and yellows it, and the abrasive removes this.

For standard whitewall tires I have always used Hankook, and am very pleased. I have always gotten 65-70,000 miles out of them. I have Kumhos on my 91 M-M Lincoln (the Hankook were out of stock at the time) and like them equally as well so far.
For wide whites Ive said this before and I will again I recommend Diamond Back Classics. They are guaranteed never to yellow. I have had mine since 2005 with an average of 5,000 miles a year and they still look like they were just put on. They are also Hankook tires (215-85/16 with 4"ww) I would NEVER buy Cokers.

I thought I'd revisit this old thread as I now have two years worth of experience with the Runway Enduro tires mentioned here. Overall, I'm going to have to give them a grade of D- .

I have no complaints about the tire's abilities. They hold the weight of a hearse well, and even though the car they're on has only been to and from car events over the past two years, there's no noticeable wear on them.

But the whitewalls over time are horrible! And let's be honest, the only reason someone would buy these tires are for the whitewall. When the tires were newly installed on my car, I was beyond pleased. I thought I had found a tire for my entire fleet. Now I'm so very glad I didn't go hog wild and actually do that.

Within six months the whitewalls started browning, and only serious scrubbing with abrasives got them white again. But then it would only be a matter of a couple weeks before they were brown again. Now, after two years, they are permanently brown. I have given up trying to get them white any more. Its a losing battle. It seems to be an internal issue with the tire itself between the black and the white, because they really never get dirty just going to car shows, and no matter how much time I spend, what I use, or how much scrubbing, they are just permanently stained brown now.

I almost can't wait until I wear them out so I can get something else, but since I've only put about 1000 miles on them in two years, that's going to be a long wait. I wonder if anyone still makes whitewall paint.

Patrick,
I have had three sets of these tires on my cars, with one of the sets "browning" while setting in the garage. I cleaned it and just like you said it came back. Here is what I did. I scrubbed the tires with a stiff brush very well with a lot of soap. Then I used bleach white on the white wall,let is set for about 45 seconds then wet it a little, then used an SOS pad to clean it, then washed it off, the next day I did the same thing again even though the WW was clean. After that they stayed white. I think if you follow those steps that will solve your problem.
I don't think those tires are made now. Mr. Tire no longer has them and an internet search shows a few at easy-tire but they don't even have them in all the sizes. They stock 235/75/15, 215/75/15 and some 14 inch.
I think it was a great tire for a great price if you can keep the white walls clean. It seemed to me that the brown was coming from something that was on the black of the tire. The trick is to scrubb the tire as soon as possible. I have that set on my 90 Ford wagon now and they stay white. The GT Radial Champiro 75 is the same tire as the Runway by the way.

I did some checking and the Runway's and the Champiro 75's are no longer availible. So does anyone know of a "off the shelf" 1.3 or larger white availible with spending $200.00 or more a tire?

I ran the Amarican Classics on my 67 M-M, and was very happy with them. It was a I beleave a 1.5 whitewall, and they were about $740 shipped to my door. Thinking about buying the same tire for my 71 Superior.

Josh

I have a set of American Classics on one of my cars too, and I agree with you that they are a good tire. Its just a case of with the cost of the tire itself, shipping, and having them mounted, I have a hard time swallowing almost $1000 for a set of tires, hence my preference for a budget whitewall. But everytime I find a budget whitewall, it gets discontinued.

I gather that cooper still makes one. the last time I was at tires plus they had a 235x15 with a white wall about that size for 90 bucks carry out. I checked the side and they were good for 2045 at 35 psi. the would be heavy enough for most of the cars

I gather that cooper still makes one. the last time I was at tires plus they had a 235x15 with a white wall about that size for 90 bucks carry out. I checked the side and they were good for 2045 at 35 psi. the would be heavy enough for most of the cars

I just had a set of Cooper Trendsetter SE's 235/75/15 put on my 1995 Cadillac Hearse, but they only came in a .8 inch white wall. Ed, if you can find a name for this other tire I would be very interested in checking it out. As it looks now the American Classic's with the 1.6 inch WW are running about $153.00 each. Like Patrick said it would be nice to find a alternative to spending close to $1000.00 for a set of tires.

got to digging out in the far corners of my mind and this set of tires were at Peerless tire. I was looking for something for the 70 and just stoped in. Firestone has discontinued there white wall and on the way out I thought I would check here. I can't tell you the brand name on it but I'm sure the man at the counter told me they were made by cooper. they were not a extra load but still had that over 2000 lb rating. but at 35 psi not the 50 we are now seeing on most of the extra load tires.

Back