Newbie here...sort of

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all:

I have within the past few years become interested in professional cars. I have long been interested in automotive history, and am a member of the Society of Automotive Historians (I'm also a member of their foreign-book judging committee).

I have several books on the subject by Gregg Merksamer, Tom McPherson and Walt McCall, and am in touch with Walt.

I am wondering where it may be possible to procure copies of Tom's Superior, Eureka, and Flxible books at reasonable prices. I see a few on Amazon at absolutely ridiculous prices (in excess of $500 each). Short of that, could anyone tell me if those companies produced any professional cars (or airport limousines, etc.) during WW2 after the February 1942 shut-down, before the 1946 resumption? I have read of Eureka converting some Chevies during 1943. Mark Theobald (who I've met in VT) has a website devoted to coachbuilding, and there is where I read the last fact. Apparently, some military ambulances were made by Eureka and Superior, too.

I have also read of Henney's box-type ambulance being produced during the war years, beyond 1942. I plan to get a copy of Tom's new Henney book.

Gregg's book mentions that Siebert continued to build professional cars based on 1942 Fords and Mercs during the war, because they had stockpiled cars bought before the shut-down.

I am studying any and all production of passenger or professional cars the world over, for the WW2 period. I have been quite successful. In America, it seems as though the cars sold and registered during 1943, 1944, and 1945 were in actuality stockpiled 1942s, though many were titled by year of sale.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bill Kreiner

I plan to get a copy of Tom's new Henney book.

Welcome Bill to the wonderful world of Professional Car collecting. The one thing about Pro Cars is that the more you know, the more there is to know about them. Being that each one is unique in its own way, and almost no two were made alike, there is always more to be learned about them. This is what the PCS is all about. Preserving these individual pieces of automotive history. When you are ready to order the Henney book, please consider going to the Amazon.com website through this link. This website will get a small commission on what you purchase that will help us to keep providing these services to the collector car hobby in the future... thanks Paul

Each Car is Another Story

Be it where it was manufactured or who owned it or who rode in it. The thing about pro cars, especially I guess for those of us who are/were cot jockeys; is there is sooooooo much history and we lived our youth in them. I feel sorry for these medics today who ride around in those generic UHaul conversions. These cookie cutter cars (to steal the term from the late Bernie DeWinter) are BORING. I was all excited when my son came home and told me the FD bought a Lifeliner. When I got there and saw what they were calling a Lifeliner, I said "that ain't know Lifeliner, it is just another cookie cutter UHaul":(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back