fire in the hole

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
went to do one little repair on the Pontiac today. the previous owner had removed the seat by cutting the legs off not he rusty bolts. boy am I glad those new automatic helmets work . I noticed this before it got away. the sparks started a mouse nest in the seat and it got the other material going. my little spray bottle extinguisher was not enough. memo to self "charge hose before striking ark". now I have to smell this till I get it redone. don't care about he old material as it gets changed any way but i would have hated to burn up the plywood and melted the springs.

Attachments

• IMG_5315.jpg
    IMG_5315.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5317.jpg
    IMG_5317.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5318.jpg
    IMG_5318.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_5319.jpg
    IMG_5319.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 198
Well at least the seat wasn't in the car.....that would have been much more interesting. I had a car catch on fire once, not a pleasant experience! At least no one was hurt....now there is a homeless mouse on the loose!

I keep a spray bottle handy when ever I weld or cut. any small fire can usually be put right out with it. but this is truly a in house built seat. the ply wood bases and the the loose set of coil springs tied together with string and the upholstery material on it. iron mounts for the hinge that some one drilled a put a screw into it keep it from falling forward. it looked solid enough on the bottom but the sparks entered the slot cut in the ply wood. my bottle would not penetrate down and when I flip it over then the race began. the straw caught and the flames became visible. I only loss the string holding one coil set together . but I can imagine what a night mare if the whole pack would come loose. or the heat weaken them. then we would be sitting on a foam block out of a pickup seat. :drama: always wanted to use that little guy

Not to mention burning the garage and house down. Calling Brendan to say his car was toast because of a mouse nest would not have been fun. Would have sounded like the old saying, "but teacher, my dog ate my homework!"

I just tried welding for the first time today as well but it was a failure and only 2 rags became casualties. Still dealing with the broken bolts.

Not to mention burning the garage and house down. Calling Brendan to say his car was toast because of a mouse nest would not have been fun. Would have sounded like the old saying, "but teacher, my dog ate my homework!"

I think I'll call Hagerty now and up the insurance!!:yankchain:

Had a friend years ago, that had a spot light plugged in his truck and his dog turn it on, while it was sitting on the seat. It burnt a hole all the way to the floor. He had three separate trucks, while in high school that caught on fire or just about did. One the engine caught on fire, another a wire was laying on the speaker amp and filled the truck with smoke and the spot light incident.

Back