High top vs Low Top

Bruce Biancalana

PCS Life Member
I find that it seems that sixtiess and seventies Low top ambulances are hard to find today. I have high tops, I would love to find a low top. It seems when I find a low top it's in a scap yard, a combo or it's a converted combo. Any opinions or input on why this is. Could it be just the luck of the draw? Did the low tops get used up and junked earier? Where staight low top ambulances just rarer?

In Woodstock we had 4 pontiacs,3 hi-tops ,1 low top,sure were easier to clean,not many services I remember had low tops,good point,:thankyou2:

I have some pictures of a '66 Superior Low top ambulance, not a combo, sent to the crusher last year. I was lucky enough to send a friend pick some parts of the car. You're right they are much more rare than converted combos or hightops.

I think the low top ambulances are the best looking, because they are sleeker, not so bulky looking. But, like I always say, I like them all!

I like all Ambulances low tops and high tops both, but if I was going to owne one, i would rather have a low top. i think the low tops are classy looking.

Josh

The trend, as ambulance service entered the '60's and progressed, pre-EMS, in the '70's, was toward being able to do more first aid for the patient and to being able to transport more patients in one ambulance. Thus, as the manufacturers developed high-top bodies in the late-'50s, they quickly became more popular. The increased popularity is why you see more high-tops than low-tops.

Look in my photo albums, the 1968 Superior was a low top straight ambulance. I also worked off of a couple other low tops. I personally prefer them over high tops.

The low tops are cool but I would prefer a high top for one reason. Many people think even high tops are hearses, (from my experances and comments) so a low top would make them think its a hearse even more.
But then again I cant believe how many people have no idea what a hearse is, many think its a limo.

The low tops are cool but I would prefer a high top for one reason. Many people think even high tops are hearses, (from my experances and comments) so a low top would make them think its a hearse even more.
But then again I cant believe how many people have no idea what a hearse is, many think its a limo.

Either a limo, or a "hurst". I can't tell you how many guys I have talked to who refer to a funeral coach as a "hurst"!

Abe

John,

I totaly agree with your thoughts on this.....

I just had a guy (early 30's) this past week end at a fire muster that said to me :
"Nice HEARST !!! You really did a nice job on it,BUT WHY is it not black and why does it have the RED lighthouse light on the top ?? ".....:smiley_w_ballbat:

At first I thought he was kidding...but no..he was dead serious.....

WHERE have people been ?? Do they not READ books and magazines ? or see movies and documentaries ?.....

I know people say "ohh that was before his time"
I dont buy that......
Things from the 30's 40's and 50's are before MY time yet I know things about those time periods....
Sorry for the rant...just FRUSTRATING.....!!

But to get back to the main point, what is the biggest difference between a low and high top ambulance in the 60's-70's? Except for a couple of inch of headroom and some hooks for an extra stretcher on top, I just can't see a difference in the equipment on a low top. same cabinet, same floor, same internal disposition.. It's surely not a question of price cause I figure that a high top was more expensive than a low top brand new?

Im 31, I of course know things that happened before 1980 but Im probably the only exception for pro-cars.. and I agree, Im always surprised in a car show when a 22 Year old guy pass in front of a Delorean with no expression cause he don't know Back to the Future!

"But to get back to the main point, what is the biggest difference between a low and high top ambulance in the 60's-70's? Except for a couple of inch of headroom and some hooks for an extra stretcher on top, I just can't see a difference in the equipment on a low top. same cabinet, same floor, same internal disposition.. It's surely not a question of price cause I figure that a high top was more expensive than a low top brand new?"
Martin, actually the interior in the back of a hightop is not the same as a low (or straight) ambulance as one might think. First the front cabinet may be the same, depending on how it was ordered, the cabinet over it most likely was bigger. The higher head room makes it possible to have the bigger cabinet. All of the hight top ambulances in my area, and all the ambulances were high tops, also had a squad bench. I have never seen a straight ambulance with one. We found that it was easier to work on a patient from the side with the height gained by sitting on the bench. Yes, we did to more than just load and go. We also needed the extra storage space in the front cabinet and bench to carry all the equipment we had. So that is some of the reasons that we all went for the high top ambulances.

then of course the mine is bigger then yours mentality was not a new thing just invented by modern fire departments. but think your talking of a instance were most were still operated out of funeral homes. the garages were all ready constructed. the car had to fit the hole. the added space in the high top might not go in. rebuilding the garage to accommodate the larger rig to preform a service that was all ready a drain on your budget would not be practical in smaller Homes.

Martin, actually the interior in the back of a hightop is not the same as a low (or straight) ambulance as one might think. First the front cabinet may be the same, depending on how it was ordered, the cabinet over it most likely was bigger. The higher head room makes it possible to have the bigger cabinet. All of the hight top ambulances in my area, and all the ambulances were high tops, also had a squad bench. I have never seen a straight ambulance with one. We found that it was easier to work on a patient from the side with the height gained by sitting on the bench. Yes, we did to more than just load and go. We also needed the extra storage space in the front cabinet and bench to carry all the equipment we had. So that is some of the reasons that we all went for the high top ambulances.

All true,
I also think that hightops were just a bit more VISIBLE,running code 3
much the same as a firetruck is... in relation to a BAT chief rolling code in a suburban......:my2cents:

then of course the mine is bigger then yours mentality was not a new thing just invented by modern fire departments. but think your talking of a instance were most were still operated out of funeral homes. the garages were all ready constructed. the car had to fit the hole. the added space in the high top might not go in. rebuilding the garage to accommodate the larger rig to preform a service that was all ready a drain on your budget would not be practical in smaller Homes.

When Billings Ambulance Service went from pro cars to van-based ambulances, they excavated out the garage floor two feet in order to gain the clearance needed for the taller vans. While BAS is gone, the garage still exists, with a ramp down to the garage doors. I agree that most funeral homes would have bought cars that fit the space, rather than spending a lot of money to revamp the storage space, especially when they weren't making a lot on the ambulance service side.

then of course the mine is bigger then yours mentality was not a new thing just invented by modern fire departments...
It's not really a "mine is bigger than yours" thing. But in cases where ambulance service was being provided by a fire department or a rescue / first aid squad, they wanted to present the best, most modern image to their community. The high-top was the most modern style of ambulance at the time. And no, ambulance service wasn't a drain for rescue squads, it was their reason for existance - to serve the community.

And particularly in the era of the '60s and '70s, a lot of new rescue services were coming into existance, in many cases replacing the funeral home ambulance service. So they wanted the newest and "best" thing available.

Back