63 Superior License Plate Light

Brendan Martin

PCS Member
Hello everybody, I am looking for some help with my 63. We are missing one license plate light lens, and it is not a standard 63 Cadillac license plate lens. Has anyone seen one like this before, and if so does anybody know where to find one? Thanks, Brendan.

Attachments

• License plate lens.jpg
    License plate lens.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 314
looks like

Brendan,
That almost looks like the light just inside the attendants door on my 61. Give us some measurements and the numbers from the lens. If it is a Guide item it will help track it down. Is the lens glass or plastic?
When I went looking for backup lights for my 61 we found that M-M used 59 Chevy units. Post the info and we will start looking.
Mike

I just checked my 63 Superior, and I'm missing both lenses. Hopefully these are from a standard vehicle somewhere.

BTW, anyone have a back door license plate frame? Missing that too.

close and if you had a 63 caddy right on. but USA doesn't stock any superior parts. these are marked guide L1-55. I still think they are off a 55 Chevy. or one of those cars that had then in the bumper guards

L1-55 lenses

ED,
Is that license plate lens flat or bullet shaped? I looked at google images and found that most 55 GM items use a similar looking light for back up or front turn signal lights.
The turn signals seem to all be of the bullet shape and the back up lights are flat. A side view of the lens would help with measurements.
I will check the local antique Chevy store in the next few days.
Mike

Parts

Here is the Superior Parts Manual for 63-64 ,download it and take a look. I did not see the lites but should be in there somewhere. It is 60 pages total.:17875:

if it's not them it's close enough. I'll get a set and see thanks Dan. I knew I had seen them before on a one of the mid year chevys.

It appears to me that you sould be looking for lense's that have two tangs on them exactly the shape of the fixture. The lense should have holes where the srcrews go in to hold the fixture and lense to the body. And of course the lense looks like it might of had two tabs as well. The big one and the smaller one. Also it appears that either chrome trim plates go over the lense, gasket and fixture/light housing or it could of been a plate that was part of the license plate holder. Suprises me that no one else has a coach similar to this coach that can be used for a reference????? Is the light configuration at all like anyone else's?

try to find a gasket and see if that exists in the same shape as the light housing. I am guessing just a round lens should work also like the one at DANCHUK.

I went back to Danchuk, and all the stuff is right there for this lense style. The gaskets are there and the bezels are there. so if the gaskets, lense, and bezels all line up than you have the correct parts in your hands. They have it all as long as the holes in the gaskets and bezels match your light housing holes.

Mike, your jumping in the midle of things. we have everthing else here all we need is one lense. we have found one and a exter. so we are good to go

Thats great news!!!!! Can't wait to see it when it is finished! It'd been interesting following your project. I wish Doug Watson would post some update pictures on his project.

Back