News you can use!

John Dorgan - Deceased - 1938 - 2012

March 05,1938 - May 13, 2012
For those interested, I guess that the siren and warning light reconditioning business will not pass with me. Many of you have asked me what will happen to it when I'm no longer able to handle it. Well, my son is now learning the ropes and actually doing quite well in the shop. Thankfully he has that entire collection that I bought from the estate of Doug Williams on which to practice. He has the more common "stuff" down pretty well such as the Qs, MARS 888s, Federal rotating beacons and the other Federal coaster sirens. He is also picking up the oddball ones as we go as well. In any case, he still has the old man to fall back on when he has a question. With any luck, he may be able to keep things together so that there is still a place to have your lights and sirens restored.

On another note, I am investing, along with the past general manager of the now defunct "Nuchrome" plating shop in an across the border plating shop in Agua Prieta, Mexico which he will run. This effort should be able to bring plating costs down a bit. The shop is new and is an adjunct to a large machine shop. It has been set up for several years, but there was never anyone to operate it. It should only take about 20K to get it up and running with me putting up the money and him the expertise.
Wish us luck folks!
John Dorgan

good news and good luck. plating cost are up threw the roof. but I for one am not likely to sent stuff out of country. that is unless I know some one here owns the business and will stand behind it. so tell me will they be plating all the metals or just steel and brass? pot is a big one to find some one that will do it. at 500 each for the lanau bars it really makes for a investment. will they be able to do repairs on bumpers? some of these are vary hard to find. but for you to place that kind of investment in a business is note worthy. thanks for doing this and keep us informed on when your up and running.

glad to see your son pick up the fire ball and run with it. wish him all the best. now can you get him interested in joining the club??

Great News

And just in time, too. I am just thinking about taking all the chrome off that 54 Henney and sending off to get redone. I would rather keep it in the family, so to speak. Let me know when you are ready to start doing business and I will send this stuff to you.

"So many questions, so little time". I'll try to answer all of them.
The Nuchrome mentioned was in Tucson, but suffered a disastrous fire about two years ago.
I am not planning on retiring from life quite yet.
My partner in crime in this endeavor is the past general manager of the old nuchrome and is well versed in all aspects of the business.
They will plate steel, pot metal and brass as well as straightening and removing dents etc. They will also straighten and polish stainless, and plate aluminum but there are no guarantees on the aluminum plating as we all know that it holds up in none wear areas but not in high wear areas.
Bumpers can be handled as well.
The shop is almost in the US, being just across the border from Douglas, AZ in Agua Prieta, Mexico. Shipping will be to my address in the US.
If there are any other questions, just ask.
john Dorgan,

Good luck!

Sounds like you have a good handle on what you are doing and I wish you the best. It is nice to hear that your son is getting involved in the siren business. I am sure that he will be a valuable resource for everyone in the future in need of repairs.

Hats off to John!

John has probably all saved us along the way....from projects with that hard-to-find part or great free advice. I can't think of any one person who has so many of us indebted to him!!!!
Enjoy your adventures, John!
Kevin

Back