Barrett-Jackson auction

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Barrett-Jackson is coming to nearby Connecticut June 26-29 (Thursday - Sunday). Has anyone ever gone to one of these auctions? Any advice as to what to do before going? Do I brink a checkbook or credit card? Can I inspect the cars before they go to the auction block? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Jim

All the pre-registration information should be on their website. I have attended several BJ auctions here in Phoenix in Jan., but haven't bothered the last 2 years because it is just too crowded.

If the format is the same at the show you will be attending, you will probably find that the lower priced (and affordable) stuff goes through the first day, right after the memorabilia. Since it is as much a spectator show as an auction, the admission fee for the non-bidding public increases every day, with the real high-end stuff going on the block on the final day. Getting there early on the first day also allows you to view and inspect all of the cars that are scheduled to go through all week, and the info on the windshield placard tells you the day and approximate time that it will go through. Quite often, the car owner will be with his car throughout the whole show to keep an eye on it, and answer any questions.

That's been my experience, anyway. Hope it helps. Good luck!

I have never attended a Barrett-Jackson, but I have attended thousands of auctions in my lifetime. The auction does not know the cars, so you can't trust everything they say. And for sure, all of the cars are like every other car in any other auction, so check the car before you bid on it. At a collector car auction, there is almost never a chance to arbitrate a problem, once you are the successful bidder.

My advice, buy with caution, all that glitters is not gold.

Have fun and good luck!

I have never attended a Barrett-Jackson, but I have attended thousands of auctions in my lifetime. The auction does not know the cars, so you can't trust everything they say. And for sure, all of the cars are like every other car in any other auction, so check the car before you bid on it. At a collector car auction, there is almost never a chance to arbitrate a problem, once you are the successful bidder.

My advice, buy with caution, all that glitters is not gold.

Have fun and good luck!

and we all know barrett jackson's penchant for honesty

Famous auction lines. When the top goes down, the price goes up! Resale Red! THE RESERVE IS OFF!!! THE RESERVE IS OFF!!! Enjoy the fun and noise.

All my collector cars except one (the 96 six door ebay) have been bought privately where I could meet the seller on their turf. That said my godson has spent easily 500k with the Mecum Auction he has gotten some good some bad at the auctions as far as I am concerned not too many good deals. BJ auctions are the same you pay for a bidders number have to prove you can pay to get it and will pay 10% plus other fees if you buy. Don't get me wrong more than 1/2 the vehicles I buy for the business are bought at auctions. I spent three hours on the computer this morning and bought nothing funny as this was a sale where I usually do well OH yeah 8% buyers fee. Other sales are 10% still more have fees that are set One that is particularly annoying charges $200.00 from $50.00 to $1500.00 and more as it goes up. Just remember the 10% gets salty when you get into big $$$ $60.000.00 equals $6000.00 so your cost is $66,000.00. Best deals are always direct with the owner the auction folks are only there to make money for them. Oh yeah my godsons best deal was the late model Bentley Convertible with a book value of $150K for $70K PLUS $7k more buyers fee so it was $77k.

Have fun

Jim, I have been going to BJ for over 25yr. I echo everyone's thoughts. Treat it like a big car show. There are deals, but they get lost in the big ticket sales. Have a great time. Too bad we could not share it with you. :thumbsup:

Back