Anyone using these tires ?

Diamond Backs

I called Diamond Back today. Talked to James. My new Cooper/Fury tires are on the order sheet. I decided to go with the extra load tires. With the weight of the coach and mine there was little left for margin of error. James says the delivery time is running about 3 weeks now. So if you want new DB tires for the summer get your order in soon.
My original size tire according to the Cadillac shop manual for 1961 was a
8.90x15. That is a 235x75Rx15 today. They are about the same height as the old tires. Guess the GPS will have to tell me how much the speedometer is off. I know it will be off some.
Now to get the original wheels cleaned up and ready for new 'shoes'.
Mike

Mike, I think my wait time was around 3 weeks also. Good call on getting the rims cleaned up. I did that while waiting for mine, I had the rims sandblasted and powder coated.

DiamondBacks

Darren,
I got the 3 inch white wall. James said the Fury extra load tires is what he would recommend for a heavy car like a hearse. This coach had wide white walls on it when it came to the family in the 70s. I put Coker L78s on it and liked the look. I just was not satisfied with the way the bias tires followed road ruts. Some of the wander was no doubt due to the front end needing work. With the work done I got the BFG radials and liked them very much. I just never bonded with the wire wheels and narrow stripe tires.
After asking several tire shops questions and reading all I could find the DBs seemed to be the best overall tire for the money. Most all radials about double in price when you say you want the extra wide white wall. So DB was competitive with other suppliers like Coker and Universal tire companies.
Mike

:drive2:

Mike

I have a friend with a '60 MM with wire wheels and 3" whitewalls.
Looks fantastic.

Im trying to get him to Albany with that car.
No one has ever seen this car and its outstanding.

Take it easy,
Darren

60 m-m

An unseen 60 M-M? How much help do you need to talk your friend into a road trip? I am sure we can get some help here. I vote they go to Albany with you and bring the 60. More votes please.
ED we did save the Coker L78s. 2 still have tread across the width of the tire. 2 are worn smooth on the one edge from the front end being in need of (now done) work. When they started showing wear they went quick. All 4 had air in them when I took them to the tire shop for removal. I will see what my son wants to do with them as he spoke first.
Mike

Last edited:
if they are that worn I most likely can't use them. I was looking for a set close to the spare in my Seville but I would need them serviceable. :specool:

Tires?

I have a set of Cokers on my 37 Packard and my 52 Kaiser Manhattan, I have not had any issues with the tires. I use mink oil on the sidewalls to keep them fresh looking and on occassion for the car show I'll get out the old shineola white liquid shoe polish. My 65 M-M caddy 3-way manual table had Ambulance service tires on it when we bought it in 74 with 3000 miles and sold it in 1998 with 38000 miles and still had the original tires, belts and hoses. If your going to be putting a bunch of miles on your vehicle and drive it to shows maybe get a second set of rims and run econo radials then swap them when you get to the show. My dad and I do this on our 63 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. and his 72 Chevelle SS Conv. It keeps the tires correct for judging at the show and I don't worry about throwing a hubcap.

Here is a follow-up to the original postings...

I finally had the Diamond Back Fury extra load tires installed on my '62 Landau hearse. I got them a month or so ago but never got around to having them put on.

I ended up getting a 1.5" white wall. There is 1" of black between the rim and whitewall.

I was quite happy with the look and how it made the car look classy with keeping with the thinner whitewall size of the '60s.

As for the drive... way smoother and straighter than the bias ply tires that were on it ! Turning is so much easier and smoother. No following the road grooves or jumping a couple feet sideways when hitting bumps now.

I have to say that I really like the look of bias ply tires but after having radials on I wouldn't have it any other way.

Two of my good friends, both from Michigan, who love old Cadillacs wouldn't have it any other way with their cars having bias ply as they say the cars were designed for that type of tire. One is a PCS member and the other isn't.

Funny story... the guy installing them said the tires on the back of the car were older than he was ! They were from 1982. On the car for 28 years. The ones on the front he says were from the early '70s ! On the car for about 38 years !!! Likely the second set of tires ever on the car from new. The first ones likely got changed about 10 years after it originally sold.

Crazy ! So glad I got the new tires. The rubber is so soft and flexible.

I will be ordering another set this week to pick up in Albany at the PCS meet for my other '62 Limousine Hearse. That way they will have the same tires for times when they get shown together. Also for the safety aspect as well of having new tires on the cars.

I plan on doing lots of hearse driving and want to make sure my contact with the pavement is as good as it can be. There's a lot riding on those tires afterall !

Thanks for reading.

Enjoy the ride,
Darren

I would suggest that you get at least one spare to match, so if you ever damage one, you will still have an original to replace it with. Nothing worse than having 3 matching tires, and not being able to find a 4th. Tire companies drop tread patterns frequently, so even if the same tire is offered, the tread design might be different 2 years from now.

Paul

Thanks for the info.
I originally asked for 5 but he said something which I can't remember and I ended up ordering just the set of 4. Wish I could remember what he said.
Oh well. Maybe I will order 6 to have a spare for each car.

Doug

Im ordering them from Diamond Back tires and having them ship them to the hotel. Not a local tire store as I order a custom whitewall size.

Plus they have a layer between the black and white to prevent yellow or browning.

The link for Diamond Back is in the beginning of this post.

Looking forward to seeing you and the Canadian ambulance in Albany !

Darren

I bought a set of "Broadway Classic" 235/75R/15's from Belle Tire in Michigan. As I recall, it was only about $400 mounted and balanced in 2004. Working out well. Radials, 2,000 lb. load rating, used on a 1957 75' series sedan.
Kelly Martin

The Runway Enduro 75 and the GT Tire Champero has the same white wall as the Broadway Classic. a 1.3 inch. They sell them at our local Mr. Tire for $71.00 each installed in a 235/75/15. I know they come in other sizes too.

What I'm running on 4 vehicles right now are the Alpha Dean 365 235/75 R15 radial tires. They are 4 ply with a load rating of 2028 lbs per tire (8112 lbs total) and a pressure rating of 35 psi. The oldest set is on the 73 combo which are about 2 years old and the newest set is on the 77 M-M and are about 2 months old. We also have them on the 94 S&S limo (Elmo) and I also have them on our 2001 Ford E-150 flower truck here at the FH as well. The ones on the 77 cost me about $380.00 mounted and balanced. I've been very pleased with the Alpha Dean's in how they ride, handle and the quality of them and I've had no problems with any of the sets we have what so ever! And there is no load range problems using these under a pro-car ether! And when the time comes for one of the other hearses around here needing tires, they will be Alpha Dean's!:17875:

Jeremy

Are they black one side, whitewall one side ?
If so, what width whitewall ?

I have 2 friends who needs a set and these sound like they will work for them.

Maybe there would be a tire shop in Albany that I could get a couple sets from. What is the tire shop name you buy them from ?

Thanks for the info.

Darren

Here is a follow-up to the original postings...

I finally had the Diamond Back Fury extra load tires installed on my '62 Landau hearse. I got them a month or so ago but never got around to having them put on.

I ended up getting a 1.5" white wall. There is 1" of black between the rim and whitewall.

I was quite happy with the look and how it made the car look classy with keeping with the thinner whitewall size of the '60s.

As for the drive... way smoother and straighter than the bias ply tires that were on it ! Turning is so much easier and smoother. No following the road grooves or jumping a couple feet sideways when hitting bumps now.

I have to say that I really like the look of bias ply tires but after having radials on I wouldn't have it any other way.

Two of my good friends, both from Michigan, who love old Cadillacs wouldn't have it any other way with their cars having bias ply as they say the cars were designed for that type of tire. One is a PCS member and the other isn't.

Funny story... the guy installing them said the tires on the back of the car were older than he was ! They were from 1982. On the car for 28 years. The ones on the front he says were from the early '70s ! On the car for about 38 years !!! Likely the second set of tires ever on the car from new. The first ones likely got changed about 10 years after it originally sold.

Crazy ! So glad I got the new tires. The rubber is so soft and flexible.

I will be ordering another set this week to pick up in Albany at the PCS meet for my other '62 Limousine Hearse. That way they will have the same tires for times when they get shown together. Also for the safety aspect as well of having new tires on the cars.

I plan on doing lots of hearse driving and want to make sure my contact with the pavement is as good as it can be. There's a lot riding on those tires afterall !

Thanks for reading.

Enjoy the ride,
Darren

Thanks for the update. I knew you would be more than pleased with Diamond Backs! As I have stated before, mine have lots of miles them (5 years old) and the whitewall still looks as bright white as when new.

Jeremy

Are they black one side, whitewall one side ?
If so, what width whitewall ?

I have 2 friends who needs a set and these sound like they will work for them.

Maybe there would be a tire shop in Albany that I could get a couple sets from. What is the tire shop name you buy them from ?

Thanks for the info.

Darren

Yes, these tires are black on one side with a 1 inch white wall on the other side. On the flower truck were running those with the black walls out. I buy mine from a local shop and the put therm on there. Both the limo and the 77 M-M we had in Piqua last month had the Alpha Dean tires on them. Hope this helps!

Back