1973 472 exhaust manifold bolts ?

pull the fender

I would pull the fenders to get to the bolts as stright as you can you only get one chance to drill it out right and as you know their is not much room to get in their, I do feel for you i am in new home building:yum: not a good place to be in during this time of life so yes I did save for a while. after wrecking that head , lucky for me it was on a parts car not somthing i had plan on driving for long anyway. So when the exhast manafold went on the limo I used hi temp copper gasket sealer on the leak to mask it for a while and i am still using it on the hearse till I can aford to redo that exhast leak this winter This must be a comon problem on the 472 both mine leaked on the right side

You don't have to pull the fender. I have the upper control arm off the car and that is the main thing blocking all of them. The place where the springs go blocks them a bit as well.

Well this has to be the most time I have ever spent on any one specific problem. I still don't have it off but the manifold moves a fair amount more. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hups3la3tm8[/ame]

either a ball of rust or curl of the bolt as it broke off. I'm betting on the rust ball. thin tapered object inserted as close to the bolt as you can get, struck by a hammer should do it. then with any kind of luck you can heat the remainder of the stud, walk away and let it cool. come back and remove it with your fingers . :boo:

either a ball of rust or curl of the bolt as it broke off. I'm betting on the rust ball. thin tapered object inserted as close to the bolt as you can get, struck by a hammer should do it. then with any kind of luck you can heat the remainder of the stud, walk away and let it cool. come back and remove it with your fingers . :boo:

I have not tried the heat yet but I did try the hammer and metal rod and an air chisel with the pointed tip.

Got it!

After a couple weeks working on and off I got it. I had 2 mechanic friends look at it and fail too. Below is all it took.

Broken/used
5 bolts
2 cans of pb blaster
4 drill bits
3 broken bolt extractors
2 hacksaw blades
DAYS OF MY LIFE!

Used but still alive
sledge hammer
drill
drill press
crowbar
metal bar/ punch
air chisel / impact

I still have the 5 bolts that are broken off inside the head to go but the manifold is off.

gedc0734small.jpg

gedc0732small.jpg

gedc0731small.jpg

Should I remove what i guess is the head bolt before drilling out the bolts stuck in the head? Do they go up against each other? See below.

image013small.jpg

I wouldn't reuse the exhaust manifold. It is obvious that when you used the hacksaw, you ruined the gasket sealing surface.

gedc0731small.jpg

unfortunately unless I find one free or cheap I will have to reuse it and just hope the gasket holds. There is still room for it to seal I think.

I am more worried about getting the 5 bolts still stuck in the head out right now.

if the 73 is the same as the 68 the bolts go threw a flange in the head and there is a air gap between them and the head bolt. money being tight for you and all that use a piece of 80 grit paper and lay the manifold on a flat surface and slide it across the paper to remove the marks. it will blow out the gasket just as soon as you run it any time down the Hy if you don't

Back