1986 Cadillac flower car- should I buy?

I'm working on figuring out how to attach pictures. I found an 86 Fleetwood brougham flower car for sale by my house. Needs some work, the owner knows none of it's history except he thinks it might have come from Chicago. It has struggled to pass emissions. The ac and heater don't work. The paint is a bit faded. 70k miles. I've spent a lot of time looking online and haven't found another just like it. It has a very basic steel tub that isn't raised in the back like the ones I've seen that we're built in Canada. It's black.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on rarity, value (he'll sell it cheap, he sounds sick of it) and who the coach builder might be. I'm working on attaching pics! Thanks!

I have owned a 79 McClain and a 1980 Metropolitan, they were of the "tub" design you speak of. We had lots of fun owning these cars, but they both needed work, when we bought them. But, my experience is, beware of rusted floors, my 80 nearly fell apart after I owned it for a few years., the floor was so badly rusted

What you describe sounds like a $1,000 car, fix it and enjoy it!

Thanks for the responses! He said he'll take $3500 for it....which is a lot more than a grand. I'll probably pass then....I'd have to dump a couple grand in it.

Patience sir.....

If he is sick of it,and it sounds that way ,be patient, the price may come down,and the sicker he gets of it ,the quicker the price will drop.

Brett, to post pictures directly to the site, you need to be a Site Supporter. There's a yellow box at the top of the page for that (you have to pay). You can also post your photos to a photo sharing website, then link to them.

When you say it "looks just like that one", these are so rare and the differences so subtle that they seldom do. The photo doesn't display properly but the most common builder of standard-wheelbase flower cars is McClain. Tough to say without seeing it.

As for whether to buy it or not, the big question is, do you really want it? If you're just buying it on a lark, then $3500 is a lot of money. You'll probably get sick of it just like the current owner is. If you are really interested in it and really want to do the work involved (they all require work), then $3500 is a good deal. Only you know if you really want it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the posts.

The one it looks like was made by Superior. It doesn't look like the ones made by Mclain at all.

Any idea how many flower cars were made by Superior during the 80s? Or any other information assuming that's who made it?

Right after I posted that I found something on an old post that Superior stopped making flower cars in 1984....so disregard...

The question is...how many manufacturers were making flower cars in 1986?

Mclain and Eureka?

The flower car might be worth the price he is asking, but we need pictures and details first. As far as rarity, that is a tricky question with this type of flower car. There were many shops that converted regular cars into flower cars. I know of a place locally, that is probably still doing flower car conversions. It isn't as if this type of flower car is what we call "coach built" but that does not mean they aren't enjoyable to own and collectible. Your posing this question has reminded me just how much I liked mine.

will as far as rair think back how many of them have you seen? in person that is. they were the least produced of any funeral car. but to have it up and running is one thing to have it restored is another. if you can jump in start it and drive it home it's worth a grand. but if you don't have the money to sink into it, it's not worth bringing home. my guess is that if you get it up to dependable driving with factory components working right, you look at around 5g to get it there. then you work on appearance.

You mentioned it being in Chicago, are sure he did not say it was a Chicago style? Flower cars with the open well were referred to as Western or Chicago style. If it had the stainless deck on top (and many could also carry a casket under the deck) it was a Eastern style.

Okay, I looked at today. It's really rough, I don't think there's a single thing that doesn't need to be fixed or touched in some way. Really nice and honest seller....but I'm passing. I'm going to look at finding a smaller hearse. Thanks for all the advice!

Back