1949 Hearse

John Royark JR

PCS Member
When I was 16 I bought my first coach, a 1949 Eureka Cadillac. When I was 18 in 1992 I sold it for more than I paid for it. I figured I could get another one like it sometime. I didn't realize at the time how wrong I was. Anyway, a couple years later I started looking for it again because I heard from many sources it "was still in the area" although no one seemed to know where they saw it. In November 2003 I had someone walk up to me at a gas station where I used to live when I had the coach and asked me if I was interested in buying another hearse (I was in my 85 Superior). I asked him what he had and he told me where there was a 49 about an hours drive away. I immediately thought of my old Eureka, so I had to check it out. When viewing the car I was disappointed and happy, it was not my first love, but a 49 S&S in a lot better condition than my Eureka. I had to but it anyway.
I had all but given up hope that my beloved Eureka was still around until looking at Craigslist today and there it is!!! My heart skipped a few beats. It is located only about a hour and half from me. The condition has severely worsened but I know its mine and it still survives "in the area"
I would post pics of it when I owned it but for some reason I cannot post pics.

Here is the link.
http://ames.craigslist.org/cto/1470175766.html

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV5XBCJ

I have been in contact with the seller, and will be re united on Sunday and see its condition before I make any decisions. Just by comparing the pics in this thread of when I owned it and the pictures in the link you can see alot of deterioration over the years.

Blah blah blah. You still wish that you hadn't sold the '60 too. If that one turned up close, reasonably, you'd consider it as well! Now stop rationalizing about deterioration and tow a trailer to bring that '49 home. ;)

C'mon, your first car is like your first love, you always want it back. Here's your chance..........

Like Christy Brinkley said to Chevy Chase in "National Lampoon's Vacation": "So, are you gonna go for it?" ;)

C'mon, your first car is like your first love, you always want it back. Here's your chance..........

Like Christy Brinkley said to Chevy Chase in "National Lampoon's Vacation": "So, are you gonna go for it?" ;)

Well, checked it out Sunday. I was happy to see her again but almost cried at the condition. The doors are floppy and riddled with rust holes (except the loading door which is in nice condition) door hinges are broke on 2 doors, raccoons got inside through one of the 3 missing windows and shreaded the interior basically gutting it.
Although I feel it is too far gone to fix up, since I own another 49, there is still many useable parts, like the rear end, the commercial chassis 16" rims, brake drums, steering box, etc. that may make the price reasonable. There is another guy that has first dibs on it and if he does not get it I can buy it. I cant get it until spring anyway due to its buried now, and I have no place for it with all the snow, but he said it was no problem. I did learn one thing that I didnt know when I was 16 and knew nothing of pro-cars, its a combo.
He also has a couple other cars I am interested in, a 69 series 75 that runs and drives, just needs some rust repair and paint, and a camper conversion of a 58 M-M combo. It was a professional job by a company that used to build these (the conversions have been discussed before somewhere). Good thing I have until spring, if they are still available, because besided these, I am looking at a 54 Henney JR Packard in the area.
These things are comming out of the woodwork!!!
Plus there is the 67 M-M Paramount that Tony is sure to bring up:D

Very interesting story, John. I have a distinct memory of a '49 Eureka being somewhere in the vicinity of Topeka Kansas. I never saw any pictures nor spoke with the owner, but my memory of it being there is clear. Even in deplorable condition, it's nice to know that an older Eureka is not yet recycled into a soup can. Tom

(www.bippusautostorage.com/cars)

Back