MLK Hearse

Jonathan Murphy

PCS Member
A piece of history returned to Memphis this past weekend. A friend of mine, Joe Weller, (son and nephew of Weller Brothers Fame) was invited to attend an event where the newly restored hearse that was used to transport Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was brought back to its original owner, R. S. Lewis of R. S. Lewis funeral home.

The car, a 1966 Cadillac Superior Combination, was sold by Zane Smith, local Superior Coach dealer, to Mr. Lewis. When Mr. Lewis traded the car back in, Mr. Smith kept it in his possession for a number of years. Within the past two years, the car was sold on Ebay to a gentleman (whose name I did not get) in Atlanta who restored the car to its original condition. Upon completion of the restoration, the car was brought to Memphis for Mr. Lewis to see and to be photographed in front of the National Civil Rights Museum.

The following photos were provided by Mr. Weller and I thank him for allowing me to share them with the group. (My apologies for the size of the photos)

469_0000145777.jpg

Photo of the car prior to restoration

469_0000145780.jpg

Photo of the car after restoration

469_0000145770.jpg

R. S. Lewis of R. S. Lewis Funeral Home and Mr. Zane Smith, former Superior Coach Dealer.

469_0000145779.jpg

Rear view of the car

469_0000145773.jpg

Interior view

469_0000145778.jpg

Front clip

469_0000145771.jpg

This is a bullet light from the 1966 Superior Cadillac ambulance that transported Dr. King to the hospital. The plaque states that, after transporting Dr. King, the ambulance was placed back into regular service and was later totaled in an accident. The car was sent to Mr. Smith for destruction where, before destroying the car, he saved all four bullet lights. This light is #2 of 4.

Again my apologies for the size of the photos. I have tried to enlarge them, but the quality is lost quickly.

Thanks for the photos! The current owner (who's name I've forgotten also) called me a year or so ago to talk about the car. We talked at length about the car, its history, and its significance. Great guy to talk to, because like us, he was passionate about his project. It was in the restoration process at the time, and there were a few Superior specific and a few Cadillac parts he couldn't find. I ended up getting him in touch with some PCS members and some Cadillac graveyards, and it looks like he got everything he needed.

Good timing for the post too, since I was thinking about this coach last week and wondering what ever came of it. Glad to see someone followed through on their intent to restore! :)

I remember things differently..........

I remember the ML King funeral differently...........

First, there WAS a photo in the Chicago papers of an ambulance going to the hospital.......but I believe it was a 66 M/M ........ but I have no proof that the photo was actually of the MLK ambulance.......

Second, the actual funeral used a farm wagon , NOT a hearse, and horses, or maybe donkeys, going to the cemetery........

Can anyone else fill in more details?

I remember the ML King funeral differently...........First, there WAS a photo in the Chicago papers of an ambulance going to the hospital.......but I believe it was a 66 M/M ........ but I have no proof that the photo was actually of the MLK ambulance.......

This is the ambulance that took King from the motel to the hospital. It looks like a 1966 Superior to me .....

Attachments

• king's ambulance.jpg
    king's ambulance.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 3,345
yes, it was a Superior

The photo I remember did not show the coachwork very clearly........it looks like I remembered only that there were corner lights on the 66 ambulance, and the previous post photo clearly shows Superior bullet lights, not M/M Grimes lights.

Wrong again..............

this car was the one that carried his body from the funeral home to the airplane for the ride home. stop to think about things in daily life. how many different cars do you use in a day? I had a picture of the casket being loaded into the plane for the trip home and this car was sitting just underneath it. once he was shot they had to get him to the hospital, then to a funeral home, then send the body home, move it to a different funeral home, then have the procession. they dig him up for some reason I'll bet they use a different car then to. I always chuckle over the Kennedy thing as how many cars were used to move him around from the time he was shot and then buried.

anything for a buck. What a way to put a spin on "history" What about the Hearse that transported the guy who put a bullet in MLK? Is that in history?

Martin Luther King Jr's 1966 Superior Royale Hearse

Re: Martin Luther King Jr. Hearse used in Memphis.

In doing research, I have reviewed the PCS postings concerning The 1966 Cadillac Superior Royale Hearse (Alpine white with black top) which R.S. Lewis and Son’s Funeral Home of Memphis Tenn. used for ALL of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s needs on April 4th and 5th 1968. This was the only Hearse used from the time Dr. King’s body was entrusted to R.S.Lewis Jr. at John Gaston on the night of April 4th, Mr. R.S. Lewis transported Dr. King’s body from Gaston to the 374 Vance Avenue. Funeral Home location in Memphis, for preparations and viewing the following morning of April 5th 1968, just prior to further transport by procession to the Memphis airport to meet the plane provided by Bobby Kennedy for flight to Atlanta. The CAISSON procession was not done until April 9th 1968, in Atlanta. This information has been well documented by both National Documentaries as well as television stations in Memphis and across the nation. The latest being the WREG segment done on November 12, 2010, when I personally returned the car to Memphis, after a 3 year restoration, to be reunited with the only 2 Men who had ever previously owned it since new. Mr. Zane Smith, age 87 who was the Superior Coach Representative in Memphis for many years, and Mr. R.S. Lewis Jr. Age 92. who presently owns R.S. Lewis and Sons Funeral Home, and personally was entrusted with Dr. King's body on the 4th and prepared Dr. Kings Body for viewing on the morning of the 5th.

Mr. Smith sold the car new to R. S. Lewis and Son’s Funeral home in 1966, then in 1969, after Dr. King’s death, Mr. Robert S. Lewis Jr. traded the Hearse in, as partial payment toward a 1969 Cadillac Hearse, Mr. Smith stored the car for nearly 40 years, in a warehouse at an undisclosed location in Memphis. I DID NOT buy the car on E-BAY. I did not purchase the car until December 1, 2007 and then, directly from Mr Smith, on what would have been my son Chad Alan DeRamus’ 30th birthday (1977-2006). Over a year AFTER our family plane crash.

For the year following the crash, I was simply lost in life. The Tuesday after Thanksgiving 2007, from 2 AM until 6 AM I could think of nothing else but the hearse, “What ever happened to the Coach”? Early that morning I called Mr. Smith and found that he had not heard of the crash or of Chad, who previously called him regularly, just to chat, each week. When I inquired of what had happen to the coach, to my amazement, he stated he had placed it back in storage. We agreed to a purchase and a few days later on December 1, 2007, which would have been Chad’s 30th Birthday, I bought the car and returned with it to Louisiana .

Chad and I had previously been in negotiation with Mr. Smith to buy the MLK Hearse for restoration prior to Chad’s death. After the 3 year restoration, with Mr. Smith’s guidance, and some assistance from a couple of PCS members. I fulfilled a promise Chad and I had made to both Men, to return the car for their first review and inspection. The results were reported on WREG, on Nov. 12, 2010, in a very precise report on their nightly news. The footage of the THIS MLK HEARSE, from April 5, 1968 has been used in numerous HISTORY CHANNEL AND CIVIL RIGHTS DOCUMENTARIES.

Assumptions and hear-say create a lot of problems in provenance. This is the reason I am attempting to correct those inaccuracies now. I am sure Mr. Zane Smith, Mr. R.S. Lewis Jr. and Dr. Roger White would be glad to verify what I have stated concerning this vehicles provenance, now that it has been made public. And I do appreciate there respecting my request to keep the whereabouts of this vehicle confidential UNTIL THE COMPLETION.

To clear up another contributors questions. THERE WAS a 1966 Memphis Fire Dept. Superior Ambulance (Red/Wine in Color, with Gold lettering) (noted in a cropped magazine photo), which picked up Dr. King at the Lorraine Motel and delivered him to John Gaston Hospital. It was dispatched from Fire Station #2 around the corner from the Lorraine. The AMBULANCE was placed back in service immediately following delivery and shortly after totaled in an accident. Mr. Smith had also sold this ambulance as well as 3 other 1966 Superior Cadillacs and 4 Pontiac Ambulances to the Memphis Fire Department. The remains of the Ambulance was ALSO traded back to Mr. Smith toward another 1969 Ambulance, as a replacement. Prior to the ambulance being crushed. Mr. Zane Smith had the Bullet Lights, the demolition bar and fire ax, as well as the Motor and Transmission removed. I now own all remaining items removed from The Memphis Fire Dept. Ambulance that are still in existence. Some of which were displayed to Mr. Smith and Mr. Lewis while in Memphis in November.

Another contributor stated that the Hearse had been sold to a man in Atlanta. This is incorrect. The vehicle has never had another owner, and came immediately to Alexandria Louisiana, for restoration following purchase.

Yet another contributor commented on the 2 photographs printed in the Northland Publication. When in fact the 2 pictures were of this car, prior to restoration in Mr. Zane Smith’s back yard in Memphis by Dr. Roger White, of the Mayo Clinic.

For my own personal reasons Mr. Smith, Mr. Lewis, and Dr. White and I have kept the restoration quiet. I had made a promise to Mr. Smith and Mr. R.S. Lewis Jr, that I would return the car to Memphis so THEY could see it FIRST, when completed. So, quietly on November 12, 2010 they viewed the car together for the first time in 44 years as it was delivered to Mr. Lewis NEW. They invited a few guests, one of which was Joe Weller of Weller Bros. notoriety. We spent three years and thousands of man hours to save this piece of history. After 40 years it was in pretty edgy shape. This car is a story of 2 Dreams. Dr. King’s legacy and My Son Chad’s, to restore it. There has been much speculation since the E-BAY FIASCO, which to my understanding Mr. Smith did not agree. It was a broker that made that decision. 2 of the bidders were SCAM ARTIST, so truly qualified bidders would not bid. My son Chad WENT TO MEMPHIS and WE DID OUR HOME WORK, before purchasing the car.
The Provenance is as simple as it gets. Only two previous owners THE SUPERIOR DEALER to the FUNERAL DIRECTOR, back to the DEALER and stored for 40 years with affidavits even from the OWNER OF THE WAREHOUSE, in which it was stored, but very much in addition. I am continuing to have to correct FOLK LORE AND SPECULATION. One of the publications even published the VIN # incorrectly. The State of Tennessee had a TYPOGRAPHICAL ERROR adding a 1 at the beginning of the VIN # which they researched, apologized for and corrected. The error happened in 1993 when Mr. Smith transferred the original title to his name. But, since I have just held ALL documentation and not even recorded the Title, I have not brought that to the publications attention. I didn’t record the title because I didn’t want anyone tracking the car until it was finished. This car was and is a form of therapy for me. A way of staying connected to my son. He was not only my youngest son, he was a partner in business. We worked together EVERY DAY, 6 DAYS a WEEK in our family business. So you see that is why, I am extremely careful to avoid controversy or inaccuracies concerning this Hearse. Now that I have honored my promise, to Chad, Mr. Smith and Mr. Lewis, I feel that my primary mission is now accomplished. It is not a VALUE or MONETARY thing with me. The City of Alexandria asked me to show the Car at the Riverfront Convention Center in OUR HOME TOWN on Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday, January 17, 2011, which I did. It was well received. I have been contacted by the Smithsonian, requesting the possibility of displaying the car. Also, it is my understanding, the African American Cultural Center and the Martin Luther King Jr. Monument society, has an interest concerning the MLK dedication in August. There is interest from numerous museums, for the car to be shown and for it to be brought back and publically shown in Memphis as well. They have all approached me. I have not sought any publicity surrounding this car.
Mr. Steinberg contacted me concerning a e-mail I sent to him containing the information I have provided you. I would like to thank Mr. Steinberg for his interest and the opportunity for our lengthy conversation. He is an asset to the PCS. During our conversation he inquired as to the possibility of my sharing Photographs of the Vehicle and an article concerning the history of the car and the restoration.
I am a PCS member. I would be very interested in supporting and working with the PCS, or any other Professional Publication, who would treat this vehicle with the Historical Reverence and Respect it deserves. I would willingly provide them the story, correct errors and address inaccuracies and speculation as to provenance as well as provide Professional Quality Digital Photographs of “The Lost Hearse Of Martin Luther King Jr.”. Dr. White has been aware of the ongoing restoration for quite some time and I commend him in assisting with my request for privacy.
I hope to be able to meet the PCS Board and members in the near future and be an active member. I have heard great things about the organization and will assist in furthering it’s cause.
I truly appreciate this opportunity to clarify information. Should any member have any further questions, my contact information is as follows.
My office number of 318-443-9937, 6 days a week, My business address is 2417 Lee St. Alexandria, Louisiana 71301. I hope, if nothing else in this post, I have conveyed my sincerity surrounding this Coach. It has historical significance to me in more than one way.

In Loving Memory of Chad Alan DeRamus.

I remain,
Chad’s Dad (Jimmie DeRamus)

Mr. DeRamus,

Thank you very much for sharing this information with us about the hearse that transported Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s body. You have obviously done your homework and have documentation of all of the pertinent points of the coach's history.

Yes, we would love to see your coach, and meet you, some time.

If you do come to Washington for the dedication of the King Memorial in August, please do contact me, I am in the Washington area. I may be working at the dedication event, I would be glad to meet you and see the coach.

My sympathies on the loss of your son, I can't even imagine. You've honored his memory as well with the restoration of the coach.

Steve Lichtman
Member, Board of Directors, PCS

yes as anyone can see this car has the paper work in order. with a detailed Hx of were it's been and with who. a vary good job of keep it's wear abouts quite till you could honer the promises made. I do have one pictures of the car from news footage being used to transport his body to the plane.

Attachments

• loading 1968 Marten Luther King jr superior.jpg
    loading 1968 Marten Luther King jr superior.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 714
Mlk hearse

I am glad to be back. I have been watching but, not participating, until now. I hope to become more actively involved. I understand that there will always be critics out there. I also believe everyone is entitled to their opinions. But, my article provided the facts, not speculation or hear-say. Thank those of you who have taken the time to reviewed the article. I would encourage your comments. I must preface the following by stating that my ancestors were Native American (Choctaw) and French Huguenot (immigrant). This is where my collecting started at the age of 9. I was raised as an only child in the country, so I wrote to a lot to personalities, who were very cordial at that time in life, and would write or send mementos. My Civil Rights collecting has over the years expanded to Womens right to vote, Catholics, Italian American, Jewish American, Irish American and African American's. I have a quite extensive and diverse collection of which this car will be the center piece. I hope to work with museums and other entities to present this collection as an educational exhibit, around the country, in my Son's Memory. I am please to have talked or corresponded with some of you. It is rare that you find anyone having true passion for anything in life anymore. But the gentlemen I have communicated with are definitely passionate about collecting, and assets to the PCS. I am a preserver not a mutilator or destroyer. Should anyone have any further questions or suggestions, you are welcome to contact me by phone or mail, or simply on this PCS site. I will be posting Photos and additional information in the near future. Thanks again for your reviews.

Regards

Chad's Dad
Jimmie DeRamus

Mlk hearse

Jonathan Murphy was one of the first Members I spoke to regarding correcting the inaccuracies out there, surrounding this car. Jonathan Murphy and Paul Steinberg have been very patient, attentive and receptive to the delicate nature in which I plan to handle its presentation. They are both, truely dedicated and assets to the PCS. Thank you both for your assistance and guidance.

Regards

Jimmie Deramus

Back