all I want to be is done

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
put the last screw in the 58 today. so just for the no reasons but because I wanted to we ran it out to the park. I haven't driven it more then 5 miles at a time since we have had it here. she rides along typical GM under steer. when we got back it need the carb adjusted and that was it.
you can ride along here there are about 3 videos in the string. http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747/date/2016-07-24

Attachments

• IMG_2975a.jpg
    IMG_2975a.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_2976a.jpg
    IMG_2976a.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_2977a.jpg
    IMG_2977a.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 406
NICE ride! Are you putting the curtains in, or will the owner once it gets home? Why does it set high in the rear - new springs?

the curtain chore I will leave to Virgil. I can't say as to the riding height. my guess would be weak front springs as it not high in the rear. taking the pictures this is the first time I have stood side ways to it at more then 4 ft. when it was all together. there were pieces missing when I picked it up. but my guess is it's more of a optical illusion with the cliff edge and the front end down hill

They always sit high in the rear, until you put some weight into it. I had put a couple hundred pounds into the rear of my 1969 Miller Meteor Ambulance, so the car would appear level in the photograph. Had I realized that there was a height imbalance prior to having new springs installed in the front, I would have asked the spring manufacturer to add an additional inch to the spring height, so the car would sit level.

Because the factory photos are staged. Many years ago I had the pleasure of speaking at length with one of the gentlemen from Packard who was in advertising. He told me of the great lengths they went to to pose vehicles correctly complete with letting the air out of tires on one side blocks of wood under tires etc. I suspect perhaps procar builders had weights to put in the back as a sales photo looking like Eds 58 would not have gone over well.

i'm not new at this either

If that's the case, why do 100% of the cars I've seen in factory photos not set high in the rear?

...nor do 99% of the procars I've seen over the years, except when the air shocks (generally in ambulances) had too much pressure.

How many of the 99% of the procars that you have observed over your years were on delivery day of the vehicles? Of course they sit level, after you load them up with all the ambulance equipment, or place a casket with remains into the vehicle. How strange would a hearse look after they loaded Aunt Tilly who weighed 300 pounds, into the rear of the hearse, and the rear of the hearse sagged.
One would have thought that you, of all people, would understand spring rates and loading, considering that you sell fire apparatus. Even fire apparatus will sit high in the rear, until they load the bed with hose, and all the other apparatus that gets put into the compartments. Why would an ambulance or hearse be any different?

took some time out of my busy life style and measured the 58 . as the front bumper is lower then the rear by design I just measure the rocker on the left side. because that's the way the car was facing. it turns out that the rear is 4 mm higher then the front.

Attachments

• IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3048.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 187
Back