Carryall ambulance photos

From the MoPar thread:

I don't recognize the corner beacons...anybody know what they are?

Here's another Pinner - a stretched '67 Chevy pickup conversion - with the same (or similar) beacons. Can anyone here positively identify these?

The siren speaker shown is a Penetrator by Fyr-Fyter. I can remember when people used to install plastic inserts, as seen here, to keep bugs and debris out. The practice lost popularity as soon as people realized it restricted siren output.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• 1967 Pinner Chevrolet.jpg
    1967 Pinner Chevrolet.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,537
From the MoPar thread:

Here's another Pinner - a stretched '67 Chevy pickup conversion

Just curious, do you know for a fact this was based on a pickup, or did you mean to say Suburban? Either way, I don't recall ever seeing a 67-72 Chevy based ambulance that was stretched quite that much.

Looking at it more, I think you're right. A suburban wouldn't have the gas filler there, or the rounded rear window frame. Wonder why they would start with a pickup and not a suburban?

Jack and Tom Pinner both said that it was based on the pick up. They gave the reason, but I don't remember what it was. Jack did say that it was a good seller, and a great riding vehicle.

as you look at the side view you can see the pickup gas tank is still in place. as is the top of the door and the drip rail.
here is one more of them and a Pinner suburban conversion also. Pictures are courtesy of Jack and Tom from there collection of factory photos

Attachments

• pinner 0409.jpg
    pinner 0409.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,358
  • pinner 0417.jpg
    pinner 0417.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,267
From the MoPar thread:

Here's another Pinner - a stretched '67 Chevy pickup conversion - with the same (or similar) beacons. Can anyone here positively identify these?

The siren speaker shown is a Penetrator by Fyr-Fyter. I can remember when people used to install plastic inserts, as seen here, to keep bugs and debris out. The practice lost popularity as soon as people realized it restricted siren output.

(SL collection)

Steve: The beacons appear to be KD beacons. They were built in 2 and 4-lamp models.

1988 Braun Chevrolet Suburban. PCS Member Micky Spivey, Kingsport, Tennessee.

Mr. Loftin. Please chime in with ambulance model if known!

Jeremy D. Ledford photos.

Attachments

• Spivey 88 Braun 2.jpg
    Spivey 88 Braun 2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,380
  • Spivey 88 Braun 1.jpg
    Spivey 88 Braun 1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,279
This is a 1964 International Travelall that was owned by Freeborn County, in Minnesota. Apparently the vehicle was originally purchased with Civil Defense Funds. It is a 4 wheel drive, and it looks like it may have been a home made conversion judging by the wood cabinets. It is an interesting color combination, and I wonder if it wasn't painted to match the cars ran by the Sheriff's Department. The Education guy for Gold Cross used to work for the ambulance service in Albert Lea (Freeborn County Seat), which I believe was ran by the hospital. I asked him about this ambulance, and he remembered it being around. He never ran any calls out of it, but he remembers considering it a few times when the snow was really deep and the road conditions were rough. Currently the ambulance is for sale at a south eastern Minnesota classic car dealership.
Kurt
IH1.jpg

IH2.jpg

IH3.jpg

This is a 1964 International Travelall that was owned by Freeborn County, in Minnesota. Apparently the vehicle was originally purchased with Civil Defense Funds. It is a 4 wheel drive, and it looks like it may have been a home made conversion judging by the wood cabinets.

These 4x4 panel-based Civil Defense rescue rigs were supplied through the 1950s and early 1960s, mostly on International chassis. This one, as you mentioned, appears to have been converted to an ambulance (using a Superior attendant seat) later in life.

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/rescueserv/index.html

Attachments

• 1965864.jpg
    1965864.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 2,278
These 4x4 panel-based Civil Defense rescue rigs were supplied through the 1950s and early 1960s, mostly on International chassis. This one, as you mentioned, appears to have been converted to an ambulance (using a Superior attendant seat) later in life.

http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/rescueserv/index.html

An independent first aid team that had originally been part of a Red Cross team bought an old CD truck that was built on an old Dodge Power Wagon. It had been stripped of emergency equipment when these guys got it. They put a 174-D on the roof and a B&M S8B went on a special bracket they put on the bumper. It was a mid-60s truck, as I recall.

Steve; Thanks for the CD link.

Found on the web a IH ambulance, Service d'ambulance Georges Godin of Montreal. The light and dark green Godin's ambulances were the most common in Montreal city from 1920's thru 1976... But it's the first IH I see, he used to buy mostly M-M and C/B.

Yup, that certainly looks like an "official use"....

We did our share of all-day rodeos, just like these guys. But our people were required to be in uniform, even if just sitting at an event like this.

One time I happened to ride with a friend who worked for another ambulance service that covered a local horse racing facility. Since he and his crews could be there as long as 8 hours or more, they'd lounge around in tshirts and shorts, but kept their uniform jumpsuits handy.

Found these photos, not sure what year. We used this from 1980 till 1985? It didn't have many miles on it when we got it. I believe we sold it somewhere near Bute, Montana. It was really a sound rig but gave new meaning to lumber wagon.

Larri thanks so much for the images of this Twin City Ambulance rig! I absolutely love seeing images from that service, since you guys used to ALS assist us on Morrison Ambulance whenever asked to. Anymore Twin City Ambulance pictures including shoulder patches?

I remember in the late 70's to early 80's, I used to see a Cotner Bevington hightop Oldsmobile parked out front of the Blackhawk Fire Training center...would love to see some pics of that rig if you have any for sure!

Seems like in the late 80's TCA started running red and white Hortons with a distinct "Special Service Area" decal on the front doors, and didn't they all have dual clear lensed fireballs on the rear roof along with dual amber and dual red rear flashing lights back then?

Abe

Civil defense decals-graphics

If any of are doing a Civil Defense Vehicle Project...... have already paid for the artwork with our local decal shop on all sizes of (accurate and authentic) reproduction decals from hardhat-small equipment and doors to large panel areas including "Calamity Jane" Graphics when we did our 1954 SWIFT Bodied-REO. MM

Upper Arlington, OH
1958 Ford/Siebert

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Upper Arlington OH 58 Ford Sibert.jpg
    Upper Arlington OH 58 Ford Sibert.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,816
McDonnell Douglas Corp. (Tulsa, OK)
1969 Crash Wagon
(originally served at their Long Beach, CA facility)

Presently own - 1973 Safety Equipment Co. Chevy Suburban ambulance

Here is a 1992 shot of this rig, taken while in service at its second home:

Alvo Rescue Unit (Alvo, NE)
1973 SEC/Chevrolet
(originally owned by Shurtleff's in Lincoln, NE; Alvo sold it to a PCS member in MO)

(SL photos)

Attachments

• MD Suburban.jpg
    MD Suburban.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,668
  • Alvo Suburban.jpg
    Alvo Suburban.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,730
Back